room prices and amtrak.com offerings

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willem

Conductor
At least one Empire Builder in late July is in that anomalous situation where roomettes cost more than bedrooms or the family bedroom. What surprised me is that amtrak.com offered me the cheapest room by default. I wondered why it wasn't offering roomettes, so I cycled through the accommodation offerings and found that the cheapest room was the first one offered, even if it was a bedroom or the family bedroom.

Has this been the case for some time, and I have just been oblivious?

At least one Empire Builder in late July is in that anomalous situation where roomettes cost more than bedrooms or the family bedroom. What surprised me is that amtrak.com offered me the cheapest room by default. I wondered why it wasn't offering roomettes, so I cycled through the accommodation offerings and found that the cheapest room was the first one offered, even if it was a bedroom or the family bedroom.

Has this been the case for some time, and I have just been oblivious?
Yes, I've seen this happen too. It does show the cheapest accommodation first. We just don't normally notice it because the roomettes are generally cheaper. I've had the handicap room pop up first when the other rooms are sold out (as long as it's in the 14-day window)

That's interesting about the H room. In the 14 day window, it is offered to the general public at bedroom rather than roomette price, isn't it? If so, will it ever show up before the bedrooms are sold out?

That's interesting about the H room. In the 14 day window, it is offered to the general public at bedroom rather than roomette price, isn't it? If so, will it ever show up before the bedrooms are sold out?
Just looked (for 4/11/16) and the handicap bedroom did now show up as there were still bedrooms available. That makes sense so that it's still available for someone who might need it as long as bedrooms are available for the other people

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back