room availability oddity question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rail Freak

Engineer
Amtrak.com shows no rooms available today on 92 or 98 STP to WAS. Shows no rooms available on 98 & 29 STP to CHI with 92 not being offered. BUT STP to DEN shows all kinds of rooms available on 98, 29 & 5????

Thanx

Now showing no rooms on 98 to WAS when going to DEN

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried what you indicated in your post. I don't know what was going on, but now Amtrak is only showing rooms on the CHI DEN leg of the trip

This happens quite often with Amtrak's current operating system. They are in the process of updating it. If you need further assistance, you must dial their number.

Last edited:
This happens quite often with Amtrak's current operating system. They are in the process of updating it. If you need further assistance, you must dial their number.
Could you be a little more clear. What do you mean by operating system? What connection would it have with availablity of rooms? What updating process? Whose number? I can't picture telephone agents knowing what you are talking about either.

Could you be a little more clear. What do you mean by operating system? What connection would it have with availablity of rooms? What updating process? Whose number? I can't picture telephone agents knowing what you are talking about either.
Operating System is simply a techinical term for the computer software and Arrow, the system Amtrak uses is getting a bit long in the tooth. It is loaded with glitches and oddities and often the best way to get a proper booking, especially when many segments are involved is to call 1-800-USA-RAIL straight away.

Operating System is simply a techinical term for the computer software and Arrow, the system Amtrak uses is getting a bit long in the tooth. It is loaded with glitches and oddities and often the best way to get a proper booking, especially when many segments are involved is to call 1-800-USA-RAIL straight away.
Arrow isn't technically an operating system. It's custom software written on top of IBM's Transaction Processing Facility operating system and operating on a mainframe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amtrak_Arrow_Reservation_System

Of course the issue is whether or not they really want to redo everything from scratch, with the inevitable bugs to work out.

Arrow isn't technically an operating system. It's custom software written on top of IBM's Transaction Processing Facility operating system and operating on a mainframe.
Right. In the old jargon there was system software and application software; and Arrow would clearly be included in the latter. I didn't go into more detail because I have no idea what OS Amtrak uses for Arrow. What I remember from my IBM mainframe days was DOS (disc operating system) as distinguished from its predecessor TOS (tape operating system) and not to be confused with the much later PC-DOS.

I still wish the addict would enlighten us as to what's being updated.

Right. In the old jargon there was system software and application software; and Arrow would clearly be included in the latter. I didn't go into more detail because I have no idea what OS Amtrak uses for Arrow. What I remember from my IBM mainframe days was DOS (disc operating system) as distinguished from its predecessor TOS (tape operating system) and not to be confused with the much later PC-DOS.

I still wish the addict would enlighten us as to what's being updated.
IBM called it DOS/360, so that might alleviate some confusion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOS/360_and_successors

IBM has so many different operating systems for their System/360 machines that it gets really confusing. Apparently TPF was well-suited for airlines and based on an older OS (Airline Control Program) meant for real-time transactions rather than the batch jobs that most mainframe operating systems ran. They changed the name with a new revision because they figured it was suitable for more than just transportation.

There's still enough of these installations around that IBM still makes replacement equipment and provides support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back