Rookie travelers-chicago to seattle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

ncdan

We are looking a our fisrt train trip going from Chicago or Milwaukee to Seattle this summer (then fly back to Chicago). These are I'm sure basic questions but-

Are you able to disembark and catch the next train the following day? I assume not, and, if not, if you just book point A to B, B to C, etc. how much of a premium does that add to the one-way fare.

Is it too late to book a sleeper car for a trip this summer?

Other suggestions/helpful hints?

Yes, you can disembark and catch the next train the following day as long as you have seperate tickets. Ticket only entitle you from Point A to Point B on that same train.

Best way to figure out the difference is to check on Amtrak reservation system and do some research. You don't have to book it, just comparision for price.

Summer season is traditionally the heaviest demand for trains. It might be a little too late for lowest price on sleeper. Again, check on Amtrak reservation system to check on price. Try to check like fall season for price comparision to summer season.

I recommend to stay overnight in Seattle because you'll never know if the train arrives late or not. Amtrak is at the mercy of freight trains.

Back