Rocky Mountaineer and Pacific Northwest island hopping

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Online, it said it couldn’t verify my passport information when checking in. Also, when I tried to scan my passport to print my bag tag at the kiosk, it said the names didn’t match, and someone had to manually check my passport when getting on the flight after trying to scan it. I assumed it was the missing space, though it could also be that my ticket was missing “II” after my name, which my passport has.
Thats's normal in how names are shown on airline tickets - spaces are removed. It should not have caused any issues. Did you actually have a problem checking-in on-line or at a kiosk or did you just assume there would be a problem and went to check-in agent?

The "names must match exactly" is not completely true as it appears to be somewhat of a fuzzy match. I'm retired from an airline so our names on our flight benefit tickets come from the employee database and are just full first concatenated to middle initial (no full middle). Despite that, I am 100% at getting Pre-Check since getting Global Entry even though my passport (and therefore GE card) is FIRST (full)MIDDLE. Never a problem (the only "problem" is my son is Brian A which shows up on tickets as BRIANA which has caused some people to look for a girl). In fact, we flew WestJet (we get benefits on other airlines as well) just a few months ago and no problem checking-in on-line with our names as FIRSTM.

Online, it said it couldn’t verify my passport information when checking in. Also, when I tried to scan my passport to print my bag tag at the kiosk, it said the names didn’t match, and someone had to manually check my passport when getting on the flight after trying to scan it. I assumed it was the missing space, though it could also be that my ticket was missing “II” after my name, which my passport has.

Much more likely it was the missing II. But I'm going to take back what I wrote earlier as going back to some old boarding passes, I see differences between on the name is displayed on boarding passes between different carriers (all of these were using employee/retiree flight benefits which includes other airlines so names all came from the employee database):
My own: LAST/FIRSTM
Air Canada: First m Last
Southwest: LAST/FIRST (note no middle)
Westjet (Apple Wallet): FIRST M LAST
Westjet (emailed PDF): LAST/FIRST M (with space)

You indicated your ticket was purchased from Delta with miles so it's possible that the way DL pushed it to Westjet caused an issue with first middle name matching (but I suspect it was the last name). As I said, despite all the variations in how names are displayed, we're 100% Pre-Check and had no problems checking-in on-line including passport matching on the AC and Westjet flights.

Great TR and pics! Quite the adventure. So intriguing to be able to view the beautiful scenery standing outside, just wow!!
I've always wondered about those Alumni Association tours, the price tag will forever be a deterrent for me but I've heard people do find them to be a good value depending on what a traveler is looking for.

Back