River levels in the midwest.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pianocat

Lead Service Attendant
Just wondering if anyone has any information about just how close we are to having the rising flood waters in the midwest cause disruptions for any long distance routes out of Chicago. Especially interested in SWC and CZ. TIA.

a long time ago in another life, I filled sandbags in Oquawka, IL literally across the river from Burlington. I was an undergraduate up the road in Monmouth and they put a call out for volunteers.

For three days and nights I shepherded a crew of high school kids filling sandbags. At nights slept in the HS gym and walked the levee with the old timers. When the river started going down there was a four foot catfish trapped on the wrong side and had I only had a camera.

The people in town were great to us, never bought food or beer or smokes the whole time I was there.

It was also famous for an establishment where Thursday night was amateur night, and served as the red light district for Burlington.

Oh to be young again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back