riding on Amtrak for 6 days and no news from outside world

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how many ticker updates actually did get posted on the 20th Century Limited, given that the New York and Chicago markets were closed during the overnight hours the train ran.
There was also Radio Reception on some of the Crack Trains in the Lounge Car,and of course Telegraph Service was also available as was Snail Mail Service!
I've seen pictures and accounts of the Stock Ticker aboard some of the Crack LD Trains but not sure how this worked??

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how many ticker updates actually did get posted on the 20th Century Limited, given that the New York and Chicago markets were closed during the overnight hours the train ran.
Good point...I hadn't thought of that. Perhaps it was when the train left in the early afternoon earlier in the century?

Pizza puff? I think I've seen them in the freezer section at the grocery store. Not sure. I've lived in and around Chicago most of my life and never heard of them being sold any where except possibly the grocery store. Where did you get them?
A lot of decent, locally owned hot dog/fast food joints will sell pizza puffs. I grew up on the Southwest side and there was a string of hot dog joints called Nicky's where you could get them. Also, there's a small local chain called Pop's Beef, with locations mainly in the South suburbs, but one in the Mt. Greenwood neighborhood of the city, where they sell them as well. They sold them in my high school cafeteria. I'd imagine that most of these places probably get them from the same purveyor.

Definitely some excellent food options for a Chicago visit in this thread. I would urge pizza lovers to try Chicago's thin crust pizza too. It's a bit different than New York pizza and quite yummy. A lot of us native Chicagoans grew up on this type of pizza vs. the stuffed pizza. For our family, stuffed pizza was a once in awhile thing. We had the thin crust pizza from a neighborhood place A LOT. And I still try to get a thin crust pizza when I visit. Gold Coast Dogs is great too. Skip the fires, get a pizza puff with your dog or beef sammy. That's a uniquely Chicago item. You'll either thank me or curse me later for the pizza puff... it can kind of be a gut bomb ^_^ !
Same here. Native Chicagoan who never even heard of stuffed pizza until high school. I get stuffed pizza probably twice a year, usually at some point during the holidays when friends drop by and I'll order one for variety, once when the mood hits.

Growing up, having pizza meant getting in the car and heading to 84th and Pulaski, for Vito & Nick's Pizza. Nothing fancy. You could look into the kitchen and watch them toss the crust. Miniature Christmas lights strung over the bar. A beat up jukebox blasting out tunes. I remember hearing the Beatles a lot.

The pizza had a super thin crust. They called it a cracker crust, and that was pretty accurate, as it was like a thin, flaky cracker, yet it held up to the toppings. Unlike New York pizza, thin crust in Chicago is almost always cut into squares, not wedges. Is that done elsewhere?

I thought for sure that the place was gone and forgotten. But to my surprise, it's still there. Looks like a visit to the Ashburn neighborhood for thin crust and some Beatles tunes is in the future for me.

Definitely some excellent food options for a Chicago visit in this thread. I would urge pizza lovers to try Chicago's thin crust pizza too. It's a bit different than New York pizza and quite yummy. A lot of us native Chicagoans grew up on this type of pizza vs. the stuffed pizza. For our family, stuffed pizza was a once in awhile thing. We had the thin crust pizza from a neighborhood place A LOT. And I still try to get a thin crust pizza when I visit. Gold Coast Dogs is great too. Skip the fires, get a pizza puff with your dog or beef sammy. That's a uniquely Chicago item. You'll either thank me or curse me later for the pizza puff... it can kind of be a gut bomb ^_^ !
Same here. Native Chicagoan who never even heard of stuffed pizza until high school. I get stuffed pizza probably twice a year, usually at some point during the holidays when friends drop by and I'll order one for variety, once when the mood hits.

Growing up, having pizza meant getting in the car and heading to 84th and Pulaski, for Vito & Nick's Pizza. Nothing fancy. You could look into the kitchen and watch them toss the crust. Miniature Christmas lights strung over the bar. A beat up jukebox blasting out tunes. I remember hearing the Beatles a lot.

The pizza had a super thin crust. They called it a cracker crust, and that was pretty accurate, as it was like a thin, flaky cracker, yet it held up to the toppings. Unlike New York pizza, thin crust in Chicago is almost always cut into squares, not wedges. Is that done elsewhere?

I thought for sure that the place was gone and forgotten. But to my surprise, it's still there. Looks like a visit to the Ashburn neighborhood for thin crust and some Beatles tunes is in the future for me.
It's done in Wautoma, WI, at the Silvercryst, a restaurant my family used to own. http://silvercryst.com

We shut down the news in our household several months ago. No TV news, no newspapers. What bliss! Somehow the world has gone on without us paying attention.

Leaving Wed night on Sunset Limited, LA-San Antonio. How does one get that empty accessible bedroom without being mobility impaired?

Edwardo's was big on stuffed pizza. They also had thin crust. Most of the "deep dish" pizza is pan pizza (which isn't stuffed) which is somewhere in between the two. Or that's my take.

We shut down the news in our household several months ago. No TV news, no newspapers. What bliss! Somehow the world has gone on without us paying attention.

Leaving Wed night on Sunset Limited, LA-San Antonio. How does one get that empty accessible bedroom without being mobility impaired?
you should be able to book that online if it's available if the departure is this close. And if that doesn't work try calling Amtrak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back