Ridership Survey Results

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PerRock

Engineer
In 2019 I conducted a survey about tipping on Amtrak trains. This is a follow up survey, expanded to cover more general ridership information as well as the tipping data. This survey was available for the first half of December 2021, and plans are being made to run another one in 2022. I know I'm a little late posting the responses!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...GGOx8gsgq0gHEBB5KTzXFnDGYd9bPTrb9sSsy11Ch/pub
I'd be interested in conducting this survey more regularly (annually), if anyone is interested in helping let me know!

In 2019 I conducted a survey about tipping on Amtrak trains. This is a follow up survey, expanded to cover more general ridership information as well as the tipping data. This survey was available for the first half of December 2021, and plans are being made to run another one in 2022. I know I'm a little late posting the responses!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...GGOx8gsgq0gHEBB5KTzXFnDGYd9bPTrb9sSsy11Ch/pub
I'd be interested in conducting this survey more regularly (annually), if anyone is interested in helping let me know!
What are Siver Service and Sunset Limited, chopped liver?

Southwest Chief isn't on your chart either, and you said it was one of the most popular routes. :confused:

What are Siver Service and Sunset Limited, chopped liver?

Southwest Chief isn't on your chart either, and you said it was one of the most popular routes. :confused:
These numbers are valid for those that participated in the survey. Apparently not many who ride the Silver Service (Star, Meteor, Palmetto) participated.

In fact the Silver Service trains taken together is the highest ridership LD route in the Amtrak system with over a million passengers a year in 2019, roughly divvied up into three equal chunks among the three trains that constitute the route. Of course in addition there is the Auto Train, but that is not part of the Silver Service. It is a separate self-standing route.

These numbers are valid for those that participated in the survey. Apparently not many who ride the Silver Service (Star, Meteor, Palmetto) participated.

In fact the Silver Service trains taken together is the highest ridership LD route in the Amtrak system with over a million passengers a year in 2019, roughly divvied up into three equal chunks among the three trains that constitute the route. Of course in addition there is the Auto Train, but that is not part of the Silver Service. It is a separate self-standing route.
IMHO, it looks like he just forgot to increase the number of columns on his chart of LDs. The columns are sorted into alphabetical order, and there's nothing shown beyond "L".

It did seem that the majority of ridership were between 16 and under 65 (in a bucket I would call non-retired folks.....but still a good amount over 65+, so noted. However, sleeping car space still seemed a bit more dominant than what I also would have expected; and the historical routes were interesting to note - Broadway Limited, National Limited, Three Rivers, Night Owl...... Surveys for Amtrak (and any service industry) are VERY important. Ensuring the right population is included gets a bit tricky, but any and all data should at least be evaluated.

EDIT - THANK YOU for sharing this data. Insightful. Overall, the Empire Builder is the single Amtrak long distance train that leads the pack in ridership, and has been for many years, so it's also a bit interesting to see how certain factors line up to it.

Thanks for the survey! Interesting to read through the data. I wonder what conducting one about AU (how we found it, what we use it for, etc) would show.

Seems like a pretty nice ride in Jeb Bush's latest report. And I just thought there would be a pretty good market between LA & Texas or NOL.
That's true. However, I think when compared to other LD trains, then it's easy to see how it lags behind. Many others have more possible same-day connections to/from it at both terminus's, and scenery that people might find more interesting.

Me, personally, I have a ticket to ride #1 this July. However after that I won't be going out of my way to get on it, I would much rather get on the CZ, I just think the scenery is okay to see only once.

Back