Ride Quality on Amtrak's Cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh so they dont go flat in the classic sense more like the wheel looses shape after it has been on the tracks to long
Exactly. Usually flat wheels, as I've heard about them, are caused as a result of braking. For instance, the engineer puts the train into emergency because there's something in the tracks ahead (a car, a person, etc) and the wheels to lock up and grind against the rails causing flat spots on them. I recall this was a problem recently on the LIRR when they received new cars that would automatically apply the brakes when it felt a certain amount of wheel slip. In the fall, leaves would cover the tracks and leave a greasy residue, causing wheel slip, brake applications, and a number of wheels that needed to be constantly machined to remove the flat spots.

oh so they dont go flat in the classic sense more like the wheel looses shape after it has been on the tracks to long
Exactly. Usually flat wheels, as I've heard about them, are caused as a result of braking. For instance, the engineer puts the train into emergency because there's something in the tracks ahead (a car, a person, etc) and the wheels to lock up and grind against the rails causing flat spots on them. I recall this was a problem recently on the LIRR when they received new cars that would automatically apply the brakes when it felt a certain amount of wheel slip. In the fall, leaves would cover the tracks and leave a greasy residue, causing wheel slip, brake applications, and a number of wheels that needed to be constantly machined to remove the flat spots.

Bad wheels at Chicago:
Bad Wheels
thanks guys lol learn something new everyday looks like i am lucky never to have encountered such a problem

rnizlek's right--it's a braking thing. More likely to happen with handbrakes, though, than even an emergency application (air brakes don't quite have the strength to lock a car's wheels unless weather conditions are causing slippery track or the car is light and unloaded).

I got chewed out by a conductor once for forgetting to kick a handbrake on an unloaded coal hopper when we shoved it a good mile through from the coal plant to the yard. Told me I was lucky the railroad didn't send me the bill for the wheel truing shop's work...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back