Ribbon cutting at newly renovated Orlando Station (6/29/15)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pennyk

Amtrak Rider
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
The Orlando Mayor and Orlando City Commissioners were among those attending the ribbon cutting ceremony.

IMG_0496 (1).JPG

Wow--didn't realize renovations were already done--that's great! :)

You can tell everyone in that picture is a Florida native--they are either wearing black and/or wrapped up like it's 50 degrees. I noticed that when I went to Winter Park much too late (early April) one year. I was about ready to pass out from the heat, but the Florida people were sitting at cafes on the sidewalk in sweaters and suits and shivering! :p

Jim--John Mica was taking a chance when he showed up at the WPK new station opening, when he presumably was there to take credit for SunRail and had to put up with it also being an opening for the Amtrak station. Probably laying low this time. :giggle:

Wow--didn't realize renovations were already done--that's great! :)

You can tell everyone in that picture is a Florida native--they are either wearing black and/or wrapped up like it's 50 degrees. I noticed that when I went to Winter Park much too late (early April) one year. I was about ready to pass out from the heat, but the Florida people were sitting at cafes on the sidewalk in sweaters and suits and shivering! :p

Jim--John Mica was taking a chance when he showed up at the WPK new station opening, when he presumably was there to take credit for SunRail and had to put up with it also being an opening for the Amtrak station. Probably laying low this time. :giggle:
It was announced that renovations finished ahead of schedule. BTW, I was NOT wrapped up or wearing a sweater, however, I was wearing black yoga clothes (since I went to the station directly from yoga class).

The contractor performing the renovations received an award from the Orlando Historic Preservation Board.

It is nice that sometimes people do get rewarded for good work that also gets done ahead of schedule--it looks lovely, and I will take a SunRail ride down to see it when I come to Florida this winter.

pennyk, I couldn't resist teasing about what everyone was wearing--I wear short sleeves almost all year, even up here in the north, and get teased about it all the time! :p

I don't see anyone in yoga clothes, but I'm hoping they asked you to be in the picture as the AU representative! :)

No one took my photo (at least I hope not).

Here is a link to short article from the Orlando Sentinel regarding the ribbon cutting ceremony.

Are there any more pictures?

Was there any real major changes? Does the platform look any different? Does the wait room look any different? Still the Hertz counter? Snack machine alcove? Old school phone booths?

Did they increase parking?

IMG_0488.JPG

Are there any more pictures?

Was there any real major changes? Does the platform look any different? Does the wait room look any different? Still the Hertz counter? Snack machine alcove? Old school phone booths?

Did they increase parking?
I will get some interior photos next time I am there. Not much has been done to the interior. The snack machine alcove has been opened up and there is now a door to the outside (which was an original part of the building). The phone booths are still inside. 2 of them are in the rear near the Hertz counter, which is still there. The third phone booth is in the same location and the snack machines are next to that phone booth. I may have a photo of the snack machines from April that I will try to find.

The Amtrak platform was not changed during the renovation, although changes were made over a year ago when SunRail started.

No changes to parking other than making it easier to get from the parking lot to the platform with ramps.

Above is another photo from today from a different angle.

Below is a photo taken in April of the snack machines (which were not yet operable) in the former location of 2 of the phone booths. The third phone booth is next to the snack machines. The ticket windows are to the left of the snack machines and phone booth.

IMG_0452.JPG

So, what was the snack machine alcove, doesn't contain the snack machines anymore. Instead, there is an ext door leading to the side parking lot(?), making the alcove more like a foyer or vestibule?

So, what was the snack machine alcove, doesn't contain the snack machines anymore. Instead, there is an ext door leading to the side parking lot(?), making the alcove more like a foyer or vestibule?
The alcove is now a foyer with a door leading to the side parking lot. The wall forming the alcove was removed.

I found a couple of photos of the front of the station that were posted by a friend on FB. I will try to post them.

11253231_460917254086791_8830327703398535246_n.jpg11140013_460917274086789_5113475653147900663_n.jpg

The phone booths are still inside. 2 of them are in the rear near the Hertz counter, which is still there. The third phone booth is in the same location and the snack machines are next to that phone booth.

So what did they do with the 2 other phone booths where the 1 is standing now?
Moved the two over to near the Hertz counter, from above.

I'll add, I am surprised they bothered to keep them, except for their historical/original significance. If I remember correctly, only one still had a payphone in it. The others were occasionally used for privacy while on a cell phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back