Retiree Needs Advice - New to Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cav1865

Train Attendant
I am new to this forum, and I would welcome some advice from you experienced Amtrak travelers. I am retired and in my early 50's (yes, you can retire early). I am not a special needs person; I am quite self-sufficent. My time is my own; I am not rushed. In September I want to take Amtrak round-trip from Shelby, MT to Washington D.C. and return. Shelby is the nearest Amtrak station for me. I read from the Amtrak web site my trip has me riding the Empire Builder (EB) to Chicago, and then transfer to the Capitol Limited (CL) to Washington D.C. Then return on the same route with the same trains. The total travel time, one way, is 48 hours.

The round-trip advanced fare for coach is $380. An upgrade to a Superliner Roomette adds $844 to the round-trip fare for a total of $1224.00 round-trip.

Is the upgrade worth the price?

Yes, I know, I have to answer the question, "How comfortable do you want to be?" But sometimes you have to be critical of the monetary value-added of upgrades. I think the big question for me is can you sleep or at least snooze comfortably in a coach seat?

I welcome any input you experienced travelers can provide.

Thank-you.

If you search this forum for something like "sleep coach seats" or "sleeper vs coach," there are an abundance of threads with comments from all kinds of people who have varying views on this subject. Some will ONLY travel by sleeper no matter what the cost, and others would never DREAM of spending the money for a sleeper.

In the end, it does come down to "How comfortable do you want to be?".

Personally, I sleep mostly fine in a coach seat (although as a railfan, I'm excited by the train travel itself, and so I consequently spend less time sleeping on a train than I would normally). It's been said around here (I think it was the_traveler who first coined it) that if you can sleep in your recliner at home, you'll have no problem sleeping on a train. While an Amtrak coach seat isn't quite as roomy or plush as a La-Z-Boy, the point is: if you can sleep in a mostly-sitting-up position, you'll probably do fine; if you're the type that MUST have a flat bed, then you'll probably end up regretting braving it in coach.

Personally, I have traveled by sleeper only twice, and neither was for an overnight journey (rather, I was booking the sleeper primarily to take advantage of the "first class" benefits of traveling in a sleeper on the newly-relaunched Coast Starlight service, which included access to the Pacific Parlour Car and an afternoon wine tasting). Having now traveled by sleeper (and I did lay the chairs down into the flat-bed position and try it out for a half-hour nap), I will say that I'm more likely to look at booking a sleeper in the future. However, because of the cash outlay required, there will have to be something extra to push me over the edge and go for it, like one or more of the following:

1) Upgrading for one segment or part of one segment on a long cross-country journey in order to take advantage of the bed and/or shower

2) An extra first-class experience such as a wine tasting, access to a special car, lounge access (i.e. the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago)

3) Traveling with another person so as to split the cost of the upgrade (the upgrade charge is for the room itself, regardless of the number of occupants, which makes it a better deal as costs can be shared and all meals are included for both people)

4) A chance occurrence where coach seats are selling at a high bucket and sleepers are, strangely, selling at a low bucket, and so the difference between the two is too low to pass up

5) An on-board upgrade is available (which always sells for the lowest upgrade bucket price) and I'm so tired and out of it that, against my better judgment, I decide I really want the room!

Outside of a tempting-enough combination of the above factors occurring, I will likely continue to travel solely in coach. In your situation, given the prices you quoted and my inference that you'll be traveling alone, I personally would not upgrade the entire itinerary. I might consider upgrading on the Capitol Limited so that I could arrive in Washington, D.C. refreshed with a good night's sleep and a shower--factor #1. That upgrade would include factor #2 above, as I'd obtain use of the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago and the Club Acela in D.C. I would be skipping, however, the chance for the wine tastings on the Empire Builder, but I'm not willing to pay that much extra for that privilege!

So, it's hard to determine whether the $800 upgrade cost gives you $800 in value, since each person's perception of the sleeper's value is different. For me, it wouldn't be an $800 value. $200 extra? It'd be a no-brainer, but Amtrak's not going to sell it for $200. $400--I would consider it but wouldn't be likely to book it. $800 for two people? It's getting more tempting. $350 for two people for an upgrade on the second train only? Now we're starting to get serious. But your tastes and financial situation may be different than mine, and so only you can really determine whether it's worth the $800.

Maybe you want to do what I would do and upgrade the second train only, and possibly even only on the outbound, since arriving in D.C. refreshed is more important than arriving home refreshed--if you sleep miserably in coach on the way home and feel all grimy, you can always take a shower and crawl into bed when you get there--you're not losing much there, whereas arriving in D.C. in miserable condition will ruin your first day and quite possibly set a negative tone for your entire trip. But this way, you can try out both worlds and determine your preferences, and you'll know which class to book in next time.

Hope this helps somehow!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum!!!!!!! I am still learning, so I will defer to the masters. But, welcome all the same!

:D

MStrain :blink:

Yes, it was me who coined the phrase about sleeping in a recliner/coach seat - I'll take the blame! :D

But jackal gave some good advice, especially splitting time between segments. I've done it many times to lower costs. In fact, I'm doing it again this month.

Back when Amtrak went directly (by train) to Las Vegas, NV on the Desert Wind, I traveled from Albany, NY to Las Vegas, NV. To lower costs, I went coach from Albany to Chicago, got a roomette from Chicago to Denver, and then again went coach from Denver to Las Vegas! This month I'm going from Kingston, RI (via LA) to Portland, OR. I'm going coach from Kingston to Trinidad, CO, and then a roomette from there to LA and then a roomette up to Portland.

It's a personal decision as to whether the cost is worth it, but personally I think this is a good way to go - especially for the first ride. You can try both ways, and then decide which is better.

4) A chance occurrence where coach seats are selling at a high bucket and sleepers are, strangely, selling at a low bucket, and so the difference between the two is too low to pass up
Since the OP is new to Amtrak, possibly a review of the "bucket pricing system" would be in order?

Basically, if one can book a trip far enough ahead of time, the price for an upgrade can be reasonable. In other words, a roomette upgrade booked nearly 6 months ahead of time, might not be all that much more than what someone else pays for a coach seat at the last minute.

I now from my own experiences, the difference due to "buckets" could be a roomette (round trip for two) for $700 vs. $1,200.

To follow up on Walt's post, because of the bucket system which raises prives as the rooms sell out, you might find that by delaying the start of your trip by one day or starting one day earlier, that the price would drop from what you're currently seeing. In other words, if you can find a day where less people have booked a sleeper, you may be able to get the price down.

And of course one must factor the cost of your meals into the equation. While they aren't worth $800, you are getting 12 free meals if I counted correctly. That's probably worth a hundred or two right there, depending on what you choose to eat.

Personally I'm one of those who won't travel overnight in coach, as I like it dark and I like to be laying down when I sleep.

Are you paying for an expensive hotel room for any part of this trip? I know when I've taken a roomette on the Lake Shore Limited I've arrived much better rested than when taking coach in the overnight Regional train (in spite of napping for parts of that Regional trip), and arriving well rested can improve the value one gets for the money spent on a hotel room.

I hear that coach on long distance trains may be a little quieter than coach on an overnight Regional, though, and different people react differently to sleeping on the train, both in coach and in a sleeper. I've seen people complain about track quality and the noise from the train horn making sleep difficult in a sleeping car, but those things haven't bothered me.

Personally, I will never again travel overnight in coach. I tried it once last year and got hardly any sleep, plus I woke up feeling sore and wishing for a shower. For what it's worth, I was traveling with a couple of first-time riders, and they both regretted not upgrading to sleeper.

By contrast, I took a cross-country trip last year in roomettes all the way, and slept very well.

The basic benefits of a sleeper are a flat bed to sleep on, access to a shower, and greater privacy. But you also get free meals in the dining car, personal service from the sleeping car attendant, and access to the first-class lounges in Chicago and D.C. (with comfortable seats, free snacks and drinks, cleaner bathrooms, priority boarding, and luggage storage if you want to leave the station for a while).

For a multi-day trip, I think food becomes as much of an issue as the sleeping arrangements. If you're traveling in coach, you'll probably get most of your meals from the lounge car. That food isn't very good and is overpriced. The dining car, which is free for sleeper passengers, offers higher quality meals but is very expensive for coach passengers and hard to get reservations for.

My vote is for the upgrade. You've got the money, you want the most out of your train experience -- get a roomette so you can have a flat bed to sleep on and a private room with a window of your own to look out of during the day.

You can always wander around the train and find people to bond with whenever you want.

Of course, my own bias is showing through there. I like having a quiet place of my own with a door, and I can't imagine trying to sleep overnight in coach. As nice as the seats are (especially compared to flying), they ain't beds.

(Sorry, I didn't review the bucket system as a description of it it seems to appear in just about every other thread around here...maybe I need to start doing like Alan and having a text file with common questions so I can just copy and paste!)

To the OP: Alan's suggestion of looking on different dates is worth pursuing (I meant to include that in my original reply, but I got carried away typing about other things and forgot). Basically, "the bucket system" means that Amtrak allocates a certain number of rooms to one of four (or is it five?) different fare buckets. They sell the rooms in order from lowest price to highest price--when all x of the rooms in the lowest bucket get sold, the price jumps to the next bucket. The process continues until the last few rooms are sold at the highest bucket and then are ultimately sold out. So changing dates may find you availability in a lower bucket.

And just in case you (or anyone else reading) was confused by my factor #4 in my original reply: coach seats operate on the same bucket system. If 280/300 seats (numbers pulled out of thin air) are already sold, then coach seats will be selling at the highest fare bucket. However, coach seats and sleeper compartments sell completely independent of each other. The sleeper fare is always the accommodation charge (which is determined by which bucket the rooms are going for) added to the base rail fare, which, when booking a sleeper, will always exactly equal the lowest coach seat bucket. So, the following circumstance could happen (albeit rarely):

-Low bucket coach seat: $150

-Current bucket coach seat (280/300 sold): $300

-Low bucket roomette: $200

-Current bucket roomette (2/16 sold): $200

Coach seat total: $300

Roomette total: $350 ($150+$200)

$50 more? No brainer--I'd book the roomette!

The same thing can happen with the difference between the Roomette and the Bedroom--I've actually seen a case where the Roomette was several hundred more than the Bedroom! Of course I'd book the Bedroom at that point! (That is, if I could justify spending the money on a Bedroom--even at low bucket, the Bedroom is hardly what I'd call cheap...)

Also, one other suggestion to the OP: You're booking the Capitol Limited both ways between CHI and DC. If you can make the dates work, I (and most others around here, I believe) would recommend that you take the Cardinal from CHI to DC and the CL back. Why? The scenery on the Cardinal (paralleling the Ohio River along the Ohio/Kentucky border and then through the Appalachian Mountains and the New River Gorge of West Virginia) is breathtaking, and to maximize the available daylight on the most scenic portions of the run (especially as the days get shorter in the fall), you'll want to take the Cardinal eastbound. Correspondingly, the scenery on the Capitol Limited (along the Potomac River and through historic areas like Harpers Ferry, and then onto the mountains of western Pennsylvania) works best going eastbound. It also gives you a chance to experience a different kind of Amtrak train--the EB and CL are both bi-level trainsets using Superliner cars, whereas the Cardinal uses single-level Amfleet and Viewliner equipment (and the consensus around here is that Viewliner sleepers are a tad nicer than Superliner rooms).

Hope this all helps!

Personally, I will never again travel overnight in coach. I tried it once last year and got hardly any sleep, plus I woke up feeling sore and wishing for a shower. For what it's worth, I was traveling with a couple of first-time riders, and they both regretted not upgrading to sleeper.
By contrast, I took a cross-country trip last year in roomettes all the way, and slept very well.

The basic benefits of a sleeper are a flat bed to sleep on, access to a shower, and greater privacy. But you also get free meals in the dining car, personal service from the sleeping car attendant, and access to the first-class lounges in Chicago and D.C. (with comfortable seats, free snacks and drinks, cleaner bathrooms, priority boarding, and luggage storage if you want to leave the station for a while).

For a multi-day trip, I think food becomes as much of an issue as the sleeping arrangements. If you're traveling in coach, you'll probably get most of your meals from the lounge car. That food isn't very good and is overpriced. The dining car, which is free for sleeper passengers, offers higher quality meals but is very expensive for coach passengers and hard to get reservations for.
Everybody will have a different opinion, Steven. Granted, I didn't sleep but like an hour or so tops on my first train trip on Crescent, but after riding more since then, I find it a little easier to sleep onboard in coach. Also, I'm afraid your statement about food service is a little off. I find the food in the Cafe/Lounge cars quite alright and, all things considered, reasonably priced. However, I have never had a problem getting into the dining car, even on a nearly sold-out train. For what you get though, (think sit down service, more/better food, etc), I find the dining car worth the few extra bucks.

I'd go with the sleeper. I think its worth the money, if you have it. It depends what "have it" means, though. Money means a lot to me (The $800 total I am spending for a trip to Chicago in November is equal to about 20% of the money I actually have) and I'm spending the money for the upgrade. Are my priorities out of line? Probably. Although in my current situation, I have little else to spend the money on. And it is my birthday present. Also, I am doing this, as my stated purpose, to eat some pizza.

Which reminds me, if you are going to Chicago, Forum Law #333 requires you to eat at Giordano's pizza. Since you'll be laying over in Chicago for a very short time on the trip in to WAS, you are forgiven, but you must do it on the trip back.

Which reminds me, if you are going to Chicago, Forum Law #333 requires you to eat at Giordano's pizza. Since you'll be laying over in Chicago for a very short time on the trip in to WAS, you are forgiven, but you must do it on the trip back.
I know I am a newbie, but I thought that Forum Law #333 required eating a pizza FROM Giordano's if POSSIBLE - We arrived in CHI and ate a pizza from there prior to dinner on the CNO. On our return from NOL, we got got food from Giordano's for lunch in the Metro Lounge and for dinner on the Lincoln Service to STL (not in the mood for Z after eating GOOD for several days in N'awlins). We stayed in the Metro lounge for our reasons and we ate well on the train to STL

Thank-you to all who responded with very sound and informative input on my question. I am pleased you took the time to write. I think I will book a roomette on at least one leg of the trip. I like the idea of being rested and showered upon arrival. With a bit of luck (and near on-time arrival) I also shall try the Forum's pizza recommendation too.

My best to all, and thank-you again.

Usually on the first night, you'll be getting too exciting to sleep. So maybe you can book coach on the EB, and then sleeper on the LSL, or even Cardinal (that train departs three times a week.)
I never sleep the first night, either in coach or a sleeper. By the 2nd night, I'm so tired I could sleep on a picket fence.

I would get a sleeper only if the price was good and it included a lot of meals - which are quite pricey on Amtrak.

Wow... I'm trying to price an itinerary on the EB/Capitol in September and can't even find a roomette on both legs in both directions with the lowest seat bucket rate.

So I'll tackle it from a monetary stand point, ground up. 27 hours the first leg, and 17 hours on the second (+/- a few hours depending on traffic, Capitol vs Cardinal, etc). That's almost 45 hours of travel. You're looking at about 4 meals on the Empire (LDBL) then one, maybe two on the Capitol (Starts at 7:05 PM - do they serve dinner?) Max in any case would be three (DBL). Cardinal would definitely include dinner and breakfast and lunch and maybe a final dinner. Let's consider the maximum - maybe up to 8 meals on board. At an average cost of $30 per meal (not including stuff that's included for sleepers), that would be about $240. That leaves about $204 for the 'accomodations' portion of your ticket. That includes two nights in a bed and access to the Acela Lounge and Metro Lounge in Chicago and DC - a nice relaxing place to wait to be called for your train while enjoying complimentary pastries, juice and coffee. Its also a safe place for luggage.

Since the pricing you came up with was for BOTH directions, I think you're doing well. If it were for one way (and, yes, I can actually book one way with sleeper for as high as $1849!!!), I'd say forgettaboutit.

Other nice amenities for the price include:

1) Shower accessibility (a must for a big perspirator like me)

2) Power outlet (a must for a computer, gps, dvd player, alarm clock junkie like me)

3) Generally nice attendant staff

4) Guaranteed access to the Diner (something that you may miss out on if they are booked solid and you're in coach, believe it or not!)

5) Coffee and juice whenever you want it (if the sleeper attendants are top notch)

You still get to go to the observation lounge, and you don't get a nasty look from the dining crew when you pass that magic halfway point in the diner on the way back to your room.

Honestly, for the price you're quoting, I'd jump on it.

I know I am a newbie, but I thought that Forum Law #333 required eating a pizza FROM Giordano's if POSSIBLE
No, the "of possible" portion of Forum Law #333 was amended later to reduce the backlog of the courts. The "if possible" is Forum Law #333(a)! :lol:

If you decide to upgrade to a sleeper class during your journey on a train, you can ask the conductor if there is a room available. If it is available, the price will be at the lowest bucket fare.

Summer and holidays are in high demand season, so the sleeper usually get sold out.

I have been a regular Amtrak traveller for about 7 years, and now always travel in a roomette.

When I first began taking Amtrak I travelled in coach for a few trips, on the LSL, TE, Capitol Ltd, Silver Service, Crescent, etc. I would only recommend coach if you absolutely cannot afford a roomette. Besides the benefits of being in a roomette already mentioned here, what I like about it is the privacy and security. If you are in a roomette, you will not be subjected to as much noise as in coach, and will not be surrounded by as many other passengers as in coach.

Keep in mind that if you book a coach seat, you don't have any control over the other passengers around you. You very well may be surrounded by out of control children running up and down the aisle all the time, making a lot of noise constantly, etc. Or, like on a trip I was on, I was surrounded in coach by a rowdy group of college kids on their way to New Orleans, who kept me awake most of the night making a lot of noise. It was that trip aboard the Crescent that made me vow to never travel in coach again. That was in 2002, and I haven't travelled in coach since.

For me, the comfort, security and privacy of a roomette are well worth the price.

I could sleep in a coach seat as long as it is quiet in the car, but you can't predict that.

I say treat yourself and go first class all the way!

A roomette offers the best of everything.

Just my 2 cents as always...

Bill :rolleyes:

I am new to this forum, and I would welcome some advice from you experienced Amtrak travelers. I am retired and in my early 50's (yes, you can retire early). I am not a special needs person; I am quite self-sufficent. My time is my own; I am not rushed. In September I want to take Amtrak round-trip from Shelby, MT to Washington D.C. and return. Shelby is the nearest Amtrak station for me. I read from the Amtrak web site my trip has me riding the Empire Builder (EB) to Chicago, and then transfer to the Capitol Limited (CL) to Washington D.C. Then return on the same route with the same trains. The total travel time, one way, is 48 hours.
The round-trip advanced fare for coach is $380. An upgrade to a Superliner Roomette adds $844 to the round-trip fare for a total of $1224.00 round-trip.

Is the upgrade worth the price?

Yes, I know, I have to answer the question, "How comfortable do you want to be?" But sometimes you have to be critical of the monetary value-added of upgrades. I think the big question for me is can you sleep or at least snooze comfortably in a coach seat?

I welcome any input you experienced travelers can provide.

Thank-you.
Just slept four nights on coach..two to CHI on 6-8 and 6-9 and back on 6-12 and 6-13. I slept about 5-6 hrs a night I think. Plus took a snooze during day for an hr or so I think. But I have no trouble falling asleep on a couch or even upright in a chair. Would I do it again? Sure..in a couple yrs I hope to take the same trip w/ my younger child. WEnt w/ older two this yr. We had a good time in Chicago and train was fun to yap on, read, etc.

DanO

Are upgrades worth it? I have a very clear answer for you - it depends ;)

In the past, wifey traveled by train - in a roomette. She told me that for two large folks, a roomette is NOT large, and she wanted a bedroom. We could get a bedroom, so we got a bedroom for our trip on the City of New Orleans. We had a wonderful trip and we are looking forward to our next trips on Amtrak (from STL to Kansas City, and to Albany)

I think that if we had not upgraded, or if we had only upgraded to a roomette, we would NOT be taking Amtrak on our future trips.

Was the upgrade worth it? For us - YES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back