Retired Firefighter goes missing on Amtrak Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
either way if BNSF isn't giving out permission then just put a police chopper in the air and search that way and BNSF can't stop them from doing that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak posted on Facebook:

To all of those expressing concern about Mr. Charles Dowd, we want to assure you that the Amtrak Police Department is continuing to conduct an active investigation to locate a passenger that has been reported missing. APD has met with family members of Charles Dowd who was reported missing after he did not arrive in Chicago while traveling from Emeryville to Montreal. The Amtrak Police Department is working closely with local police departments along the route of the train, as well as the BNSF Railroad Police Department to locate the missing person.

Missing Person: Charlie Dowd - Please help us find him

https://www.facebook.com/MissingPersonCharlieDowd

Repost with date: If anyone was on the Amtrak California Zephyr Train #6 from Emeryville, CA to Chicago, IL (with pick ups in Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Nebraska) and you think you saw Charlie, can you please message us? Departed CA on 9/12 in Utah 9/13 in Ill 9/14
Thank you so much.

As we stated earlier, the last time we saw Mr. Dowd was on the platform in Denver. We went back to our room on the all aboard call and did not see him again after that. We had the car attendant put our beds down around the Fort Morgan area and were in our bedroom until we went to breakfast the next morning in Iowa. The night ride across Nebraska was very rough. Did not sleep much as the car was moving and shaking most of the evening. Our thoughts are with the family and hope he will be located soon. RRB
Hello everyone--I read a couple of comments from folks who said they weren't on Facebook--if you're not and you were an eyewitness to seeing Charlie Dowd on the zepher, please call the Dowd family. 650-766-6470 or Amtrak Police 800-331-0008. The family would benefit greatly from hearing from you--it would aid their search. May God bless you all for your concern and let's continue to pray for a good outcome.

Last edited:
either way if BNSF isn't giving out permission then just put a police chopper in the air and search that way and BNSF can't stop them from doing that.
I feel very badly this family. This is a horrible incident and my heart goes out to them.

But amtrakwolverine, where are these so called police choppers that you want put up into the air? Last time I checked, many rural or even suburban (or even urban!) police districts do not have helicopters at their whim to use on a moment's notice.

I feel very badly this family. This is a horrible incident and my heart goes out to them.

But amtrakwolverine, where are these so called police choppers that you want put up into the air? Last time I checked, many rural or even suburban (or even urban!) police districts do not have helicopters at their whim to use on a moment's notice.
If needed, state-supported helicopters or even the national Guard could be called on.

But there's only so much you can see from a helicopter. And, they are total gas-hogs with limited range. And, in this case there are so many hundreds of miles to search.

Last time I had anything to do with a lost person was -- a co-worker's autistic son ran away from his summer camp. No more than 5x5 mile possible search area. And the searchers knew exactly where he was last seen - Western Wisconsin - where the tree cover is heavier - but - they only found the man on the sixth day - with MANY volunteers besides all of local law enforcement working dawn to dusk. The man was bug-bitten, bare-naked, dehydrated, huddling by a small stream, but survived.

Perhaps all those satellite photos of everybody's back yard give a false impression -- but searching for something as small as a person in a "small" area like a 5 mile square can be extremely difficult. When there's so little clue where he might have been lost - it's much much more difficult.

Hoping for the best.

Edit --

IF anyone out there has any clue to localize the search - PLEASE - call the Amtrak police - contact the family's Facebook page - or call local law enforcement

From the Facebook page:

Here is a picture of Charlie from a fellow Amtrak passenger - this was taken the same day as his last known contact...We think that Charlie was wearing a Brown Princess Cruises Brisbane Australia t-shirt, grey camouflage cargo pants and white sneakers with Velcro straps, glasses and possibly a grey bucket hat.

282309_113783965439412_1300233242_n.jpg

I understand that the tracks are private property, but why does the sheriff's office have to wait for permission from BNSF or whoever to search for him? It's not as if they're entering a residence. What law are they violating by searching the tracks if the tracks are within the county line? I see it as searching the mall for a missing child or searching a river for a missing boater.

Is it because they'll have to close that portion of the track to search? That I could understand, but I would just have the volunteers stay off the tracks as they walk the path. If they found something on the tracks, then they could radio to BNSF to halt train traffic, which they would have to do anyway.

It's called trespassing and it's against the law without permission or a warrant. If the scope of the search were very limited, there can be exceptions to the 4th amendment, if a crime is visible from public land or to prevent a crime from taking place. It's probably OK for them, to, but it's also threading the needle very closely.

Makes sense, sort of like asking a farmer for permission before sending a swath of searchers onto his 20 acres of farm land.

Makes sense, sort of like asking a farmer for permission before sending a swath of searchers onto his 20 acres of farm land.
Yup. In addition there is a pure logistical issue to. It would not be a good thing for the Sheriff to inadvertently get run over by a train while s/he is busy searching either.

The reason they went to Lincoln there was a person said seen him there and as I understand it, it's not real far from railroad station. I could be wrong on the close to railroad station. What I don't understand is why there not looking on security footage at train stations. If they are they haven't said anything.

From Amtrak on Facebook:

Update on Missing Person Charles Dowd

by Amtrak on Thursday, September 20, 2012 at 12:16pm ·

Amtrak Police are in daily contact with the Dowd family and with other law enforcement agencies along the route of the California Zephyr (Train 6) that originated in Emeryville, Calif., on Sept. 12. Following the train’s arrival in Chicago on Sept. 14, when Charles Dowd, 69, could not be found aboard, Amtrak Police transmitted a missing person message via the National Crime Information Center operated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. This notice asked agencies to be on the lookout for Mr. Dowd, along with a physical description. He was considered to be a missing/endangered person at that time.

Mr. Dowd was last seen by Amtrak train crew members and other passengers late on the evening of Sept. 13 between Fort Morgan, Colo., and McCook, Neb. The Yuma County, Colo., Sheriff’s Office recently completed an air and ground search of the train route and the immediate area in its jurisdiction. Other agencies also actively involved in this case are: San Mateo, Calif., Police, Washington County, Colo., Sheriff; Fort Morgan Police; Morgan County, Colo., Police Department; Nebraska State Police and BNSF Railway Police.

Amtrak stations and employees along the route were notified, along with the BNSF Railway Co. BNSF owns the railroad property used by Train 6 from Denver to Chicago and it was asked at that time to also inform BNSF train and maintenance crews to keep watch for Mr. Dowd.

Every lead in this case is being pursued by Amtrak Police with the support of other law enforcement agencies. Persons with information are encouraged to call the Amtrak Police National Communications Center at 800-331-0008. The Dowd family has a page on Facebook at www.facebook.com/MissingPersonCharlieDowd and the National Missing Persons Data System has added this case to its database.

An updated flyer issued by the Amtrak Police is attached. The Dowd family also has a flyer available on their Facebook page.

578573_10151144032159014_650344182_n.jpg

How about a tracking device like a ankle bracelet that police use to keep track of house arresters for this kind of situation. would make finding him a bit easier if its not removed. They should invest is something like that for those who might accidentally get confused and wander off the train at the wrong station and not know how to call for help etc. It would work great for nursing home patients also.

unconfirmed reports say the man's body was found along the tracks in Nebraska by a BNSF employee.

Amtrak posted on Facebook:

Update on Charles Dowd

by Amtrak on Friday, September 21, 2012 at 6:43pm ·

The Amtrak Police Department is working with the Dundy County (Neb.) Coroner to confirm the identity of a male adult tentatively identified as Charles Dowd, 69. The discovery was made late this (Friday) morning along the BNSF Railway tracks about seven miles from Nebraska-Colorado border. Amtrak Police informed the Dowd family of this development and met them at the scene, along with San Mateo (Calif.) Detectives and local authorities.

Mr. Dowd was a passenger on Train 6 that left Emeryville, Calif., on Sept. 12 and Amtrak Police issued a missing person bulletin to police agencies on Sept. 14, when the train arrived in Chicago and a search of the train found he was not aboard at the destination and important personal items were left behind.

Amtrak employees are saddened by this development and the case remains an active investigation by the Amtrak Police and other agencies. Persons with information are encouraged to call the Amtrak Police National Communications Center at 800-331-008.

Sorry to hear that. I guess I just can't imagine being so disoriented I open, and step out a door on a moving train. Seems to happen more than it should though, hear about this a few times a year. Really is a shame. Haven't followed this very closely, was he traveling alone? Not that it matters really, just curious.

I think Amtrak will have to examine ways to make their car doors more secure. i know a college kid fell out of the empire builder and died earlier this year too.

RIP Mr Dowd. My heart goes out to the family, and all of those involved in this case.

I agree MontanaJim, they definitely need to improve the door lock situation. I dont know if there is anyway to retrofit new technology to these older cars though. Im sure something could be done. I know there would be alot of money involved, but the safety of the passengers is priceless.

Well, the lock would have an override or only be able to open on two instance, A in an emergency, or B when opened by the attendant, but what Im saying is that the passengers just wouldnt be able to open the door on their own while in the middle of nowhere at 80mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back