Reservation Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sunchaser

Conductor
Okay all you "Reservation Experts", I have a question.

I want to book 3 tickets for 3 people, 1 from OLW to SEA and 2 from TUK to SEA- all in business class, all the same time and day. I want the seats all together. TUK is the midpoint between the two. Can it be done online, or should I call?

Specific seats are not reserved, so it doesn't matter how you make the reservation as long as there are seats available.

When we took the Cascades in Business Class last year, they did indeed have assigned seats. Has this changed?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've taken the Cascades, and other Amtrak trains, numerous times. Nothing has changed, unlike sleeping accomodations, specific seats are not assigned in advance and have never been. A "reserved seat" on a train requiring reservations, such as any of the Cascades, means you get a seat, not a specific seat. If a train is unreserved, like the Pacific Surfliners, you may not get a seat at all.

At major stations, Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver, seats are assigned by the conductor at check-in. At small stations, such as Olympia/Lacey or Tukwila, the crew may direct you to a certain car, or you just take any open seat in the appropriate class that doesn't have a "seat check", indicating it is occupied, above it.

You can reserve online or call, it'll be the same. Of course, if you call the reservation agent can tell you they don't assign seats in advance, too.

When the first person boards in Olympia/Lacey, they can ask the conductor if he'll block adjacent open seats for the rest of the party. That'll be up to him.

When we took the Cascades in Business Class last year, they did indeed have assigned seats. Has this changed?
Seats are assigned "on the fly". They're not assigned at the time you book and mostly likely aren't assigned until shortly before you board the train. All "reserved" means is that you'll be guaranteed a seat to sit down. They're constantly working out who gets what seat given that there are passengers boarding and deboarding often and even making last minute reservations. If you book two people together on the same segment, more than likely both will be assigned seats next to each other. On a crowded train, that might even involve reassigning currently seated passengers to different seats in order to place groups next to each other. This has sometimes created tension with passengers who don't want to move.

In your case, the thing you might try is mentioning who the compatriots are at the first boarding. Then they can shift the assignments. Are you looking for something like the seating arrangement with two seats facing each other? There pretty much is no way you could make an arrangement ahead of time for your trip unless you happen to know the crew and can call ahead.

Seats are assigned "on the fly". They're not assigned at the time you book and mostly likely aren't assigned until shortly before you board the train. All "reserved" means is that you'll be guaranteed a seat to sit down. They're constantly working out who gets what seat given that there are passengers boarding and deboarding often and even making last minute reservations. If you book two people together on the same segment, more than likely both will be assigned seats next to each other. On a crowded train, that might even involve reassigning currently seated passengers to different seats in order to place groups next to each other. This has sometimes created tension with passengers who don't want to move.

In your case, the thing you might try is mentioning who the compatriots are at the first boarding. Then they can shift the assignments. Are you looking for something like the seating arrangement with two seats facing each other? There pretty much is no way you could make an arrangement ahead of time for your trip unless you happen to know the crew and can call ahead.
We booked our tickets online last year, printed them at our local station. They had seats assigned on the rezzie and on the printed tickets. Remember, I'm speaking of 'Business Class', not Coach.

Well, in riding the Cascades multiple times a year since the 1990s, often in Business Class, you got something I never did, then.

Don't expect it again. Can't hurt to try for it with an agent, but I am pretty sure what the answer is going to be. Since your original question was whether to do it through the website or with an agent, do it with an agent. There isn't any additional cost for using a reservation agent, and you can discuss it with them (then the agent can tell you they can't assign seats in advance).

Heck, even for sleepers, you can't request specific rooms online, or even see which rooms are available, and those are assigned at booking. That is why I always book sleepers with an agent and never on the website, since I am kind of picky about rooms (no transdorm, not downstairs). You certainly can't select specific Business Class seats on the website.

Well, in riding the Cascades multiple times a year since the 1990s, often in Business Class, you got something I never did, then.
Don't expect it again. Can't hurt to try for it with an agent, but I am pretty sure what the answer is going to be. There isn't any additional cost for using a reservation agent, and you can discuss it with them.
So it was a one-off? Okay, I think I will call and see what happens. The third party hasn't ridden a train before, and we wanted it to be a fun thing.

Not possible that there were assigned seats in the reservation or printed by the computer on the ticket. Maybe they put their little sticker (the ones the station agents have printed on a big sheet, and then peel off for you) on the ticket, but the Amtrak reservation system has no current capability to assign seat numbers.

Okay, okay, may be I'm mistaken about the tickets having an assigned seat on it. I just looked back at the rezzies, you all were right. My bad, it's been a rough year. I guess the best way is just have our friend talk to the conductor when they board. I figured if they were all on one rezzie, it would be easier to be seated together?

You CAN put them all on one rezzie, well, at least you can "link" the rezzies.... That won't buy u much, but might help with peace of mind

Two rezzies instead of one is best. Linking them does nothing. A nice word to the conductor when you board may leave that seat open, or occupied until the station your companion joins you, or unable to seat together.

I'd also point out that on some routes, "reserved" doesn't even mean assigned seats at any point. I asked about it when we boarded a Keystone Service train, and the attendant on the platform said to just get on and pick a seat. Many passengers were trying the old fashioned ways of getting two seats for one person, including spreading out jackets/luggage and/or using two trays. I'm taking the San Joaquin soon, and I don't believe that reserved there means being assigned a seat.

Okay, okay, may be I'm mistaken about the tickets having an assigned seat on it. I just looked back at the rezzies, you all were right. My bad, it's been a rough year. I guess the best way is just have our friend talk to the conductor when they board. I figured if they were all on one rezzie, it would be easier to be seated together?
I'm just wondering what it could have said. Something like "Car 7, Seat 26"? I thought there also could be equipment changes, including fewer cars or even substitute equipment. I'm guessing that's not likely with Cascades. They can't just borrow a Superliner II can they?

No, and the Cascades can not easily (if at all) add extra cars. On the Cascades, there are essentially 2 trucks per car - but they are each shared by 2 cars! (1/2 is on 1 car and the other 1/2 is on the other car - the trucks are between the cars only!)

Hate to be a wet blanket, but...

While the person getting on in Olympia will have a nice view of the Puget Sound, Tukwila to Seattle is a quick 11-mile ride mostly

through suburbs and industrial parks. I somehow doubt that sitting together is really going to make or break the newbie's perception

of train travel. The third person is going to have to be across the aisle or in front/behind the other two, anyway.

While the person getting on in Olympia will have a nice view of the Puget Sound, Tukwila to Seattle is a quick 11-mile ride mostly

through suburbs and industrial parks. I somehow doubt that sitting together is really going to make or break the newbie's perception

of train travel. The third person is going to have to be across the aisle or in front/behind the other two, anyway.
I checked the schedule, and it was as fast as 38 minutes and as slow as 53 minutes. Exactly what are they doing that takes that long? My ride from FMT to GAC takes about 15 minutes and it's a longer distance.

Pad, AKA "recovery time" If you look at the outbound schedule, you'll see the Seattle-Tukwila running time is just 14 minutes. The extra time is pad for the whole route from Portland, which they do a terminal stations. You don't see it from FMT to GAC because neither is a terminal station.

The running time will still be around 14 minutes inbound. If it is on-time at Tukwila, it'll be early into Seattle. There is not much slow track coming into Seattle from the south, the trains move right along almost to the station. But it DOES seem a lot of trouble for a 14 minute ride.

I checked the schedule, and it was as fast as 38 minutes and as slow as 53 minutes. Exactly what are they doing that takes that long? My ride from FMT to GAC takes about 15 minutes and it's a longer distance.
It's a classic case of schedule padding. Amtrak cares more about being on-time into SEA than into TUK. The padding is exacerbated

right now due to track work. On some trains they simply tacked on additional 20 minutes between TUK and SEA to counteract

possible delays further south.

I guess it's the 'mom' in me wanting it to be a real smooth thing.

I know last summer we sat with an older lady going north.

There was a set of four seats facing each other.

It was fun talking with her!

On our way back, we sat in the front of the car by ourselves.

Pad, AKA "recovery time" If you look at the outbound schedule, you'll see the Seattle-Tukwila running time is just 14 minutes. The extra time is pad for the whole route from Portland, which they do a terminal stations. You don't see it from FMT to GAC because neither is a terminal station.
The running time will still be around 14 minutes inbound. If it is on-time at Tukwila, it'll be early into Seattle. There is not much slow track coming into Seattle from the south, the trains move right along almost to the station. But it DOES seem a lot of trouble for a 14 minute ride.
I looked at the fare. $9 and and additional $12 for business class.

If it were me, I'd just take the bus. Apparently a max $3 fare and about 30 minutes on Metro Transit 124 from Tukwila to 4th Ave S and S Royal Brougham Way. That, and it runs 2-3 times an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back