Remaining in roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdcnosse

Lead Service Attendant
Due to the nature of the AGR zone boundaries, I have currently booked a roomette on train 421 from CHI to ELP purchased with points, and a roomette on train 1 from ELP to TUS (because it was cheaper then picking 421) purchased with cash.

Since these two are physically the same train, and after San Antonio 421 isn't the through car anymore but rather just another car on train 1, what are the odds of me getting to stay in the same roomette from CHI to TUS? I'd prefer to not have to move if I don't have to.

Due to the nature of the AGR zone boundaries, I have currently booked a roomette on train 421 from CHI to ELP purchased with points, and a roomette on train 1 from ELP to TUS (because it was cheaper then picking 421) purchased with cash.

Since these two are physically the same train, and after San Antonio 421 isn't the through car anymore but rather just another car on train 1, what are the odds of me getting to stay in the same roomette from CHI to TUS? I'd prefer to not have to move if I don't have to.
Hate to give a Lawyer's Answer but, It Depends! :lol: As you know, The Revenue Sleeper(s) for the Sunset Ltd. #1 are on the Front of the Train and the #421 Sleeper is on the Rear and will be Switched in SAS from #21 to #1. IF the Room you are in is Open from ELP-LAX the SCA and Conductor MAY allow you to stay in your Room? If not, you will HAVE to move to the #1 Sleeper in ELP where there will be a New Conductor, the OBS will stay the same all the way from SAS-LAX. Since Amtrak went to e-ticketing the Conductor and SCA should have a more current Manifest for the Sleepers so all you can do is ask! Chances are you Will have to move, Good Luck! :)

Im leaving next week on #421 from AUS-ELP in a Roomette and changing in ELP to #1 so it will be interesting to see if this works for me??? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a room booked on 421, and 1, then chances are you will have to move. I doubt they would let you stay in a roomette that is "technically" not yours after ELP. Keep us updated as to what happens. Im curious.

Ant

Well yes, I knew that there was a chance that I'd have to move, and figured it would all be based on how nice the crew is and whether or not there is someone in our exact roomette on 421, but figured I'd ask anyways

Do you know what roomettes you have been assigned? Try calling a reservation agent, and see if you can be accommodated. They can be very helpful (I speak from experience, having spent quite a while with one trying to work out the very same problem between CHI/DEN and DEN/BDR on my upcoming trip). She was most helpful, and we succeeded!

Do you know what roomettes you have been assigned? Try calling a reservation agent, and see if you can be accommodated. They can be very helpful (I speak from experience, having spent quite a while with one trying to work out the very same problem between CHI/DEN and DEN/BDR on my upcoming trip). She was most helpful, and we succeeded!
Would I get charged the new rate? Since technically I chose to do the 421 through sleeper with the points, and then since the 1 sleeper is cheaper from ELP-TUS then the 421 sleeper is, I chose that one. So I would assume to be able to remain in the 421 sleeper I'd need to change my reservation, or just hope no one is booked in the specific room I was assigned and hopefully get a nice attendant.

I'm not asking to get two roomettes, if I'm allowed to stay in the 421 sleeper I'm assigned, they can put someone else in the 1 sleeper I'm assigned to. Just looking to maybe do a switcheroo if possible while keeping my low cost reservation

If the same sleeper is on the route for both segments, it would probably just constitute a change of rooms, not a change of reservations. But of course, I am not the final authority -- the reservation agent is. I just think it's worth calling and asking . If it would involve an extra charge, you can just say "no thanks, I'll stick with the reservations I have." But I did change rooms after I made my reservation for November, and it was no problem (at least for the change I made).

Would I get charged the new rate? Since technically I chose to do the 421 through sleeper with the points, and then since the 1 sleeper is cheaper from ELP-TUS then the 421 sleeper is, I chose that one. So I would assume to be able to remain in the 421 sleeper I'd need to change my reservation, or just hope no one is booked in the specific room I was assigned and hopefully get a nice attendant.

I'm not asking to get two roomettes, if I'm allowed to stay in the 421 sleeper I'm assigned, they can put someone else in the 1 sleeper I'm assigned to. Just looking to maybe do a switcheroo if possible while keeping my low cost reservation
I'm pretty sure you'll be charged a higher rate.

Oregon's experience was on a train that isn't considered two separate trains for booking purposes. So any good agent should be able to set a paid reservation and an AGR reservation up such that the person can remain in the same room from start to finish.

Your situation sadly isn't the same. Despite being pulled by the same engine, the Sunset Limited west of San Antonio is still considered 2 separate trains for booking purposes. And therefore any modification of the reservation will result in you paying the going rate for the train car you are booked into.

I'm not saying you could have or would want to, but things would have been different had the paid reservation been from CHI to ELP. Then AGR could have placed you anyplace you like after ELP. But I'm guessing that was the much pricier segment, which is why you used points there and paid for the rest.

So your only real hope is that the room isn't sold west of ELP and that the crew allows you to remain.

Despite being pulled by the same engine, the Sunset Limited west of San Antonio is still considered 2 separate trains for booking purposes. And therefore any modification of the reservation will result in you paying the going rate for the train car you are booked into.
Well, you're right about that. I've taken this route several times (from LAX to SAS & return). The Eagle is booked first by default, and it's always at a higher bucket as a result. I've gotten around that by calling Julie and requesting the SL. I hope the OP will let us know what they say if he calls Julie, and will also let us know how it turns out. But I'll bet you're all correct, and he'll have to move to the reserved accommodations.

The fact that he paid for part of it with AGR points and the other part with cash is the complicating factor. at least in my opinion. There would be the whole higher going rate issue to deal with. Let us know what the reservation agents say though, you might be surprised.

Ant

Oregon's experience was on a train that isn't considered two separate trains for booking purposes. So any good agent should be able to set a paid reservation and an AGR reservation up such that the person can remain in the same room from start to finish.

Your situation sadly isn't the same. Despite being pulled by the same engine, the Sunset Limited west of San Antonio is still considered 2 separate trains for booking purposes. And therefore any modification of the reservation will result in you paying the going rate for the train car you are booked into.

I'm not saying you could have or would want to, but things would have been different had the paid reservation been from CHI to ELP. Then AGR could have placed you anyplace you like after ELP. But I'm guessing that was the much pricier segment, which is why you used points there and paid for the rest.

So your only real hope is that the room isn't sold west of ELP and that the crew allows you to remain.
Well technically the AGR reservation is from GRR-ELP, but the Pere Marquette doesn't have sleepers so I figured it was irrelevant. So yes, from GRR-ELP would be more expensive then ELP-TUS. The other thing was that we originally going to just do coach from ELP-TUS, because that part of the trip is during the day; however we bought that segment online first because as I was researching prices one night, I discovered according to amsnag that on our chosen day of travel, the roomette charge was only $75 on top of the regular fare. So we got our reservation from ELP-TUS for only $166 ($90 for two Student Advantage [15% off] rail fares, and $76 for the sleeper charge).

I also saved a ton by buying points during the buy promotion as it gave me just enough for a one-zone roomette, and made the GRR-ELP portion only $275 vs twice that or more (can't remember exact figures).

Last edited by a moderator:
It can't hurt to ask the reservations agent, but for the reasons others have given it's likely that you won't be able to change it that way.

Once you're on the train, it can't hurt to ask again. Tell the crew what's going on, and ask politely but without being pushy. I've seen the crew move people from one roomette to another for various reasons; so they may decide to keep you in your 'first' room and relocate whoever's scheduled to take that room later on. But don't expect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back