Related to: Why Americans don't ride trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That kind of looks like the Budd Cars we used to have out in Montana back in the day. Too bad they didn't work out, they provided an excellent service. Here is a Youtube of Budd Cars found by Bud Costello if memory serves. The Budd Car specific part starts at 3:45.

Oops. Link was missing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure thankfully, FRA has no regulation disallowing standing passengers. Don't give them ideas. They could yet, in their infinite wisdom, require that all passengers be seated and belted in whenever the train is in motion. :(
If our Masters, er the Government Doesn't require it on School Buses :eek: it won't happen on Trains! (Is this wishful thinking :help: ??)

That kind of looks like the Budd Cars we used to have out in Montana back in the day. Too bad they didn't work out, they provided an excellent service. Here is a Youtube of Budd Cars found by Bud Costello if memory serves. The Budd Car specific part starts at 3:45.

Oops. Link was missing.

While we're at this, and cracking jokes at me, which I dully take in :ph34r: let's just appreciate the fact that amtrak runs cars, and not this:That would be interesting on a Keystone :giggle:

Now for something more serious.

Is it legal for Amtrak to overbook and make people stand if there is no seats? Esp since there are unreserved routes, like the Keystone on the HAR-PHL stretch. Obviously, it is in China and Indian, but it is in many countries in Europe (the mentioned Poland, Germany as well). If there is no room, you just stand. Would there be trouble and would AMTRAK be liable for something like that or not?
This does occur on the most popular routes. I don't know if the FRA officialy allows it because there are no handlebars on most Amtrak railcars like there are on transit vehicles. Greyhound discreetly lets people stand on an overbooked bus, so Amtrak could do the same. Everybody intentionally overbooks by a set margin these days.
Part of the charm of Japan, and one of the best ways to see rural Japan (ie, outside of the Tokyo-Osaka corridor) are the RDCs - which unlike the Shinkansen are cheap, and they don't blast by the scenery at a velocity that one can't see anything... and they go about everywhere. Lots of fun to take them - both to see the scenery and to simply get from location to location.

Oops. Link was missing.

Ha, this is exactly what they are using them for in Poland. Reopening regional raillines that were losing too much money on trains and would never be able to operate otherwise. They're called "railbuses" in Poland.

Back to the OP...

"Armpit to Armpit" is how you describe a full train? You are basically suggesting that Amtrak provides extra space which doesn't make any sense at all. When I go to a broadway show it would be much more comfortable to have an empty seat next to me but suggesting the theatre increase the capacity so that people can spread out is silly.. if the theatre increased capacity they would simply sell more tickets. Just like amtrak (when the demand exists of course.) Now I do think Amtrak should think about 2 - 1 "business class" or whatever they would call it reserved seating on LD trains but otherwise if you want to be comfortable and to spread out you have to pay for a sleeper. It's the same way on the airlines (you pay for comfort of first class) so I'm not sure why it should be different on Amtrak. Filling every seat is good business.

As for extra equipment...

Amtrak has options they are not choosing to use. Gateway Rail in St. Louis has about 50 ex-santa fe high level cars that they could restore and lease to Amtrak (or other rail companies). If part of the lease agreement was to maintain the cars.. then Amtrak wouldn't be able to say "but we don't want another type of car to maintain." VIA rail and the great state of NC have proven that re-built equipment can be used on daily operations. I'm not sure if that's the perfect solution to Amtrak's problem.. but it is an option. Put the high levels on the Texas Eagle and Heartland flyer routes... how many superliners does that free up for other LD trains?

Oops. Link was missing.

While we're at this, and cracking jokes at me, which I dully take in :ph34r: let's just appreciate the fact that amtrak runs cars, and not this:That would be interesting on a Keystone :giggle:

Is it legal for Amtrak to overbook and make people stand if there is no seats? Esp since there are unreserved routes, like the Keystone on the HAR-PHL stretch. Obviously, it is in China and Indian, but it is in many countries in Europe (the mentioned Poland, Germany as well). If there is no room, you just stand. Would there be trouble and would AMTRAK be liable for something like that or not?
This does occur on the most popular routes. I don't know if the FRA officialy allows it because there are no handlebars on most Amtrak railcars like there are on transit vehicles. Greyhound discreetly lets people stand on an overbooked bus, so Amtrak could do the same. Everybody intentionally overbooks by a set margin these days.
Part of the charm of Japan, and one of the best ways to see rural Japan (ie, outside of the Tokyo-Osaka corridor) are the RDCs - which unlike the Shinkansen are cheap, and they don't blast by the scenery at a velocity that one can't see anything... and they go about everywhere. Lots of fun to take them - both to see the scenery and to simply get from location to location.
They sure are fun rides. Japan has lots of mountains, and it's great to go through the tress on a little narrow-gauge MU. Nothing like the Shinkansen.

To bring this back on topic, how do those Japanese private railways make money with these MUs? They also need to buy new cars to replace the outdated old ones, so how do they do it?

Back to the OP...
"Armpit to Armpit" is how you describe a full train? You are basically suggesting that Amtrak provides extra space which doesn't make any sense at all. When I go to a broadway show it would be much more comfortable to have an empty seat next to me but suggesting the theatre increase the capacity so that people can spread out is silly.. if the theatre increased capacity they would simply sell more tickets. Just like amtrak (when the demand exists of course.) Now I do think Amtrak should think about 2 - 1 "business class" or whatever they would call it reserved seating on LD trains but otherwise if you want to be comfortable and to spread out you have to pay for a sleeper. It's the same way on the airlines (you pay for comfort of first class) so I'm not sure why it should be different on Amtrak. Filling every seat is good business.

As for extra equipment...

Amtrak has options they are not choosing to use. Gateway Rail in St. Louis has about 50 ex-santa fe high level cars that they could restore and lease to Amtrak (or other rail companies). If part of the lease agreement was to maintain the cars.. then Amtrak wouldn't be able to say "but we don't want another type of car to maintain." VIA rail and the great state of NC have proven that re-built equipment can be used on daily operations. I'm not sure if that's the perfect solution to Amtrak's problem.. but it is an option. Put the high levels on the Texas Eagle and Heartland flyer routes... how many superliners does that free up for other LD trains?
Thanks for the reply. W/re my first (or, your) first point: my comment was trying to raise the question of: instead of looking at the short-term bottom line (max revenue at min cost), would not adding an extra car, at some marginal cost, not improved the "experience" of the passengers - yes at a cost - but possibly not also engender a greater number of return customers? My guess is (and sadly, not better than that), is that with a 9 car consist running 85%+ full, there is enough profit to add in another coach car, still keep the train profitable, not only for the short term, but possibly even more so for the long term. [my impression from two weeks ago on the CZ was that there were a lot of first-time passengers, but with the griping about everything being so crowded, I suspect many potential return customers were lost.]

Your second point about the 50ish ex-Santa Fe cars is most heartening... refurb/clean them up and put them into service, or at least have them available for such has got to cost a whole lot less than new ones at multi-millions per. Also would allow Amtrak when there is demand to tap that demand - it seems that this summer tickets at least on the CZ were quite scarce... maybe it was just a fluke and the demand was exactly what was available, but my guess is that there were a significant number that were turned away, ie, dollars left on the table. I assume Amtrak knows the ex-SF cars are "available"? Sure would be nice to see them move toward making them available.

W/re the concert hall not selling more than a percentage of the tickets - not quite apples and oranges, ie, the marginal cost of adding seats in a fixed sized hall is quite large, likewise, the cost of not selling what one has... for a train the cost of adding another coach car I suspect is a small percentage of the already present cost. ... as a company owner, although today's bottom line is always of concern, I'm always worried about tomorrow's customers - understanding that new customers are always more costly to find, than existing ones are to keep.... extrapolated to the train: if you've got them on board the first time, sacrificing a little profit in the short term might just generate greater profits integrated over the long term.... and looking at a little history: isn't this model Fred Harvey took with his Harvey Houses, which were model businesses for how many decades?

My opinion is that if a customer is paying for 1 coach seat, they should only expect 1 coach seat. Selling a train so that there is extra room so people can spread out seems like a bad business decision to me, but I do understand your point of view.

Oops. Link was missing.

They sure are fun rides. Japan has lots of mountains, and it's great to go through the tress on a little narrow-gauge MU. Nothing like the Shinkansen.

To bring this back on topic, how do those Japanese private railways make money with these MUs? They also need to buy new cars to replace the outdated old ones, so how do they do it?
The Japanese MUs/RDCs are probably my favorite "trains" to ride anywhere in the world. If a train ride is at least as much about the trip as the destination, these are some of the richest rides to be had anywhere. And as much as the Shinkansen is impressive at least the first time one rides any of them, over time my feeling is that they become boring - the MUs have never and I expect they will never as long as they exist - each ride is unique unto itself.

W/re the various private railways that run them making any money - my guess is they're using existing track, have little need to expand, ie, no billion dollar capital outlays; likewise, my impression is that many of the MUs are 30, 40 years old, and besides respecting them, they simply keep them running, ie, again, no major outlays for new units (so the costs are basically the driver and the fuel oil - and given the minimal fares, I'm sure they have those covered)... but again, at least for me, part of the charm of them, is in fact the lack of digital displays, and video this and video that etc. They're kind of like old air-cooled VWs - basic, get the job done, and with a hammer and an adjustable wrench one can fix most things that fails (not quite true... but clearly no multi-million dollar computer systems to diagnose problems).... a prime example of the KISS principle.

My opinion is that if a customer is paying for 1 coach seat, they should only expect 1 coach seat. Selling a train so that there is extra room so people can spread out seems like a bad business decision to me, but I do understand your point of view.
Probably a bad business decision if only this quarter's profits are of concern - but every customer that is turned off, reduces the pool of potential customer for tomorrow, making it more difficult to generate positive profits for those quarters.... And although one buys "one coach seat" doesn't one also have access to the diner car, the café car, the lounge car (to see all the lizards) etc, ie, one is buying more than just a seat.... if one really wanted to maximize this quarter's profits, why not reduce the pitch btwn coach seats to something like the flying cattlecars - one should be able to double the number of fares per trip... at least for a very short time, no? No, I think Amtrak has been trying to dig its way out of a hole for multiple decades, it seems on the verge of making a real go of it, and I would like them to succeed, become part of the national conscious(ness) where "taking the train" doesn't raise eyebrows... so one does what they can to stay at least near profitable today, but working toward becoming more so in the future.

Only $1.5 million? A new modern Superliner these days would cost more like $4 million! The Viewliners cost, what, $2.3 million? $1.5 million for a Superliner was in 1978, there's been lots of inflation since then.
Why are they so expensive?

Oops. Link was missing.

The Japanese MUs/RDCs are probably my favorite "trains" to ride anywhere in the world. If a train ride is at least as much about the trip as the destination, these are some of the richest rides to be had anywhere. And as much as the Shinkansen is impressive at least the first time one rides any of them, over time my feeling is that they become boring - the MUs have never and I expect they will never as long as they exist - each ride is unique unto itself.

W/re the various private railways that run them making any money - my guess is they're using existing track, have little need to expand, ie, no billion dollar capital outlays; likewise, my impression is that many of the MUs are 30, 40 years old, and besides respecting them, they simply keep them running, ie, again, no major outlays for new units (so the costs are basically the driver and the fuel oil - and given the minimal fares, I'm sure they have those covered)... but again, at least for me, part of the charm of them, is in fact the lack of digital displays, and video this and video that etc. They're kind of like old air-cooled VWs - basic, get the job done, and with a hammer and an adjustable wrench one can fix most things that fails (not quite true... but clearly no multi-million dollar computer systems to diagnose problems).... a prime example of the KISS principle.
They're kinda like the interurbans. The US would have a lot of fun rides too if we still had all those interurbans. I like riding them too, I always do some routes when I visit Japan. It's nice to see private railways making money anyhow. The main JR companies always retire equipment really early, while these small companies have their cars soldier on.

Only $1.5 million? A new modern Superliner these days would cost more like $4 million! The Viewliners cost, what, $2.3 million? $1.5 million for a Superliner was in 1978, there's been lots of inflation since then.
I don't know! I'm not a railcar designer, I'm not sure why, but consider that an airplane costs a LOT more. And even a new Greyhound buses costs close to $600,000 if they didn't have all those discount for mass-ordering.

But they would cost about $4 million, that's what I do know.

Oops. Link was missing.

They're kinda like the interurbans. The US would have a lot of fun rides too if we still had all those interurbans. I like riding them too, I always do some routes when I visit Japan. It's nice to see private railways making money anyhow. The main JR companies always retire equipment really early, while these small companies have their cars soldier on.

I don't know! I'm not a railcar designer, I'm not sure why, but consider that an airplane costs a LOT more. And even a new Greyhound buses costs close to $600,000 if they didn't have all those discount for mass-ordering.

But they would cost about $4 million, that's what I do know.
I believe one of the differences btwn the JR companies and the MU companies has to do with purpose: the Shinkansen is at least as much about moving people as it is national pride and/or reputation - part of their rebuilding the country out of the ashes of WWII - thus part of their always looking over the shoulder at the other HSR systems of the world, and looking to better them - thus older equipment, maybe not capable of moving to the next speed level, or worse showing any wear, is retired. Conversely, the MU companies - they're purely about very basic transportation - where an "air cooled VW" works just fine, or maybe even optimally.

W/re the $4m cars - suspect has a lot to do with sole sourcing - if there is but one company that one can buy from, then there is no reason for them to look at keeping costs under control. If one simply looks at the amount of metal and "technology" involved in a car, the costs come nowhere near $4m minus reasonable profit margin. The counter example to this is clearly the microprocessor - if one looks at the multi-billion dollar fab systems, yet one can still produce $35 CPUs for the desktop, or $2 for the smartphone... there is room for improvement. Maybe if the world's rail lines starting growing (even if modestly) and railcar order rates rise above simple replacement, maybe there will be some improvement per economy of scale, likewise, maybe one or two competitors will wade into the fray. ... at $4m, even if one amortizes them over 40 years, that's $100k/car/year, which makes it hard to have a profitable rail line, and difficult to justify expanding.

Probably a bad business decision if only this quarter's profits are of concern - but every customer that is turned off, reduces the pool of potential customer for tomorrow, making it more difficult to generate positive profits for those quarters.... And although one buys "one coach seat" doesn't one also have access to the diner car, the café car, the lounge car (to see all the lizards) etc, ie, one is buying more than just a seat.... if one really wanted to maximize this quarter's profits, why not reduce the pitch btwn coach seats to something like the flying cattlecars - one should be able to double the number of fares per trip... at least for a very short time, no? No, I think Amtrak has been trying to dig its way out of a hole for multiple decades, it seems on the verge of making a real go of it, and I would like them to succeed, become part of the national conscious(ness) where "taking the train" doesn't raise eyebrows... so one does what they can to stay at least near profitable today, but working toward becoming more so in the future.
Because those seats are designed for sleeping over the course of 2-3 days, hence the leg rest and foot rest. If they reduced the pitch to that of an airplane, nobody would be able to recline enough to sleep. Most nonstop domestic flights don't take longer than 7-8 hours.

The coach seats on some of the regional trains have a shorter pitch, likely to allow for more passengers.

While we're at this, and cracking jokes at me, which I dully take in :ph34r: let's just appreciate the fact that amtrak runs cars, and not this:

I LOVE a good DMU!! They're perfect for serving areas with a population that doesn't merit a "full sized" train, but they're better in many was than a bus (not skidding off icy roads being one obvious advantage). If only the FRA could see that they are safely operated around the world, sharing lines with freight and heavier passenger rail with great safety records....

And if you want to see a standing-room train with nowhere to stand, try a Surfliner during the Del Mar race season! 900 people on a single train is not unusual...with 600 seats...

On the DMU topic, (a) they are great "feeders" for main line rail travel and (b)this one is very similar to the Sprinter between Escondido and Oceanside (Cal.)...quite practical, and far more comfortable than a bus!

Because those seats are designed for sleeping over the course of 2-3 days, hence the leg rest and foot rest. If they reduced the pitch to that of an airplane, nobody would be able to recline enough to sleep. Most nonstop domestic flights don't take longer than 7-8 hours.

The coach seats on some of the regional trains have a shorter pitch, likely to allow for more passengers.
Yes, but to make my point - sometimes one has to worry about the bottom line of next year, this year... but if it was only this quarter's bottom line that mattered, then the pitch would be much smaller, and the passengers would be one and gone. [now if given the generous pitch btwn rows, if one could get the LD seats to recline just just a few more degrees ;-) ]

On the DMU topic, (a) they are great "feeders" for main line rail travel and (b)this one is very similar to the Sprinter between Escondido and Oceanside (Cal.)...quite practical, and far more comfortable than a bus!
Hugely practical - absolutely... even in the case where they aren't even feeders to larger systems (a la hub and spokes per the airlines)... but like on Shikoku one has MUs that run back and forth from A to B to A to B to A to B... all day long, providing great service, and where roads would be too expensive to build, and/or the traffic would never justify such. ... and as the Mandarins become ripe and they go straight thru the orchards at a breakneck pace of 40-45kmh, they provide a moving Japanese painting rarely captured on canvas. One also finds delightful ones along the Sea of Japan side of Honshu, likewise at the north end of the island. Most of the MUs are ancient, and equally delightful. :)

If they could get the coach seats to recline more, I'd be SO happy. There's not enough room to get them to lay flat, but going back farther than they currently do would be awesome.

You said it was "armpit to armpit". Remember the good old days of airline travel when the middle seat (of a 3 seat row) was almost always unoccupied. Now it is almost always occupied! But people still fly. And in cars, buses, subways, etc..., it's the same.
So why do you say that people will not take trains again, when almost every other form of transportation (including elevators) are the same way? :huh:
An uncomfortable domestic flight will last, at most, eight hours. An uncomfortable cross-country rail trip will take three days, maybe longer (depending on delays). Many people are willing to tolerate being cooped up in an airliner for a few hours in order to enjoy more time at their destination. The same is not true of train (or even bus) travel.

If they could get the coach seats to recline more, I'd be SO happy. There's not enough room to get them to lay flat, but going back farther than they currently do would be awesome.
Sounds like we'd both hugely appreciate it. My impression is that they currently only go back 10-15 degrees... a doubling of that would be a delight.

I would be curious to see how much of a difference that would make. It is possible that sleeping would be a lot more comfortable in coach, because my beef with coach for overnight is that I just keep on waking up and I wake up sore and tired. With a 50" pitch it isn't like the seats would get in each others way too much, even if the person in front of you kept their seat reclined during the day.

It would be cool to see a seat that reclined further than the current ones.

Sounds like we'd both hugely appreciate it. My impression is that they currently only go back 10-15 degrees... a doubling of that would be a delight.

I would be curious to see how much of a difference that would make. It is possible that sleeping would be a lot more comfortable in coach, because my beef with coach for overnight is that I just keep on waking up and I wake up sore and tired. With a 50" pitch it isn't like the seats would get in each others way too much, even if the person in front of you kept their seat reclined during the day.

It would be cool to see a seat that reclined further than the current ones.

Given that this is a standard conversation topic in coach... wonder why the current "range" of declining was selected, and if the same seats couldn't be modified to buy a few more inches. And I agree, even if they went back another three or four inches there would be no interference with the passengers immediately behind.

You said it was "armpit to armpit". Remember the good old days of airline travel when the middle seat (of a 3 seat row) was almost always unoccupied. Now it is almost always occupied! But people still fly. And in cars, buses, subways, etc..., it's the same.
So why do you say that people will not take trains again, when almost every other form of transportation (including elevators) are the same way? :huh:
I don't think I would ride an elevator for 14 hours unless there was a diner.

I don't think I would ride an elevator for 14 hours unless there was a diner.
Isn't 14 hours about the time required or suggested to reach low earth orbit (a la the Space Elevator notion)? ... but on that trip I suspect one would like more than just a diner, either during or at the other end ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back