Rejoice! French toast is returning to the menu

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HenryK

Lead Service Attendant
. . . in late April, according to an impeccable source within Amtrak.

It will replace the pancakes, which in my opinion were OK, just OK.

Good news in my opinion Henry, but the RR French Toast served on Amtrak depends on the Chef. I've had Santa Fe RR Quality French Toast and Mushy, Cold,Cardboard in Amtrak Diners.

I still can remember the French toast on the pre-Amtrak (circa 1957) California Zephyr. I was young (17) and had never dreamed French toast could be so good. Amtrak's isn't the same, of course, but it's not bad, not bad at all—when done properly.

Good news in my opinion Henry, but the RR French Toast served on Amtrak depends on the Chef. I've had Santa Fe RR Quality French Toast and Mushy, Cold,Cardboard in Amtrak Diners.
I happen to be a French toast lover and I have rarely found a French toast plate I didn't like in a typical cooked to order restaurant. The precooked frozen French toast on Amtrak seems to require more skill and care to prepare in an appetizing manner. I'm also mildly concerned that the next version of Amtrak's French toast may be lower quality than what we've had in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can one get real maple syrup in those little plastic packets, or does one have to bring a bottle of it?

Can one get real maple syrup in those little plastic packets, or does one have to bring a bottle of it?
Yes, real maple syrup is available in small single-serve packets, but I can only find them online by the case.

I've also thought about bringing a really small bottle - I've seen some under two ounces - but I have a feeling that my tablemates will assume that Amtrak provided it and want me to share. The answer will be an emphatic "NO," and that might get awkward.

When I'm in Upstate NY, Vermont or Quebec I always look for those little souvenier bottles. Everyone always tells me how the larger ones are much better deals....I don't even try to explain why.

When I'm in Upstate NY, Vermont or Quebec I always look for those little souvenier bottles. Everyone always tells me how the larger ones are much better deals....I don't even try to explain why.
I can completely understand that. Here's hoping the French Toast on the SWC I'm taking next month tastes palatable....

I bring maple syrup along in those little TSA approved 3 fl oz squeeze bottles and bring enough to share with my table mates. If the bottles have flip-top lids, made certain you put them in a zip-lock bag just in case heat causes the lid to pop open. I had one pop open in my shaving kit once and spent about 2 hours cleaning up the mess. :unsure:

Yeah, I rarely travel with real maple syrup so I've never ordered RR French Toast. For me it's a case of "what's the point?" Yes, I'm a syrup snob.

I'm a bit of a food snob myself but I've never been a fan of fancy maple syrups. They're usually too thin and runny for me. Is there such a thing as a real + thick maple syrup?

I'm a bit of a food snob myself but I've never been a fan of fancy maple syrups. They're usually too thin and runny for me. Is there such a thing as a real + thick maple syrup?
Yes...you have to look for Grade B. Whole Foods and other specialty stores have it. It's "hard core". I think just recently they have eliminated all the "B" grades and are going with "A". Just look for "dark amber" or "dark" on the label. Also, try to find real Vermont, NH, WI varieties.

Last edited by a moderator:
This syrup snob discussion intrigues me. I am happy the FT is back, and can't wait for it in May on the Chief, Starlight and CZ. I am going to Maritime Canada this fall and I will try to hone my maple syrup palette. I just love Aunt Jemima 'casue she is sticky and sweet. I never dreamed there were additional attributes for adulation.

This syrup snob discussion intrigues me. I am happy the FT is back, and can't wait for it in May on the Chief, Starlight and CZ. I am going to Maritime Canada this fall and I will try to hone my maple syrup palette. I just love Aunt Jemima 'casue she is sticky and sweet. I never dreamed there were additional attributes for adulation.
Yuck.Corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, water, cellulose gum, caramel color, salt, sodium benzoate and sorbic acid (preservatives), artificial and natural flavors, sodium hexametaphosphate

Yes, real maple syrup is available in small single-serve packets, but I can only find them online by the case.

I've also thought about bringing a really small bottle - I've seen some under two ounces - but I have a feeling that my tablemates will assume that Amtrak provided it and want me to share. The answer will be an emphatic "NO," and that might get awkward.
This reminds me of my former neighbor in the woods of Upper Michigan, a devout evangelical Christian missionary who refused to vouchsafe the location of his thimbleberry patch. Some things are just not to be shared. (Thimbleberry jam is the equivalent of genuine maple syrup in those parts.)

This reminds me of my former neighbor in the woods of Upper Michigan, a devout evangelical Christian missionary who refused to vouchsafe the location of his thimbleberry patch. Some things are just not to be shared. (Thimbleberry jam is the equivalent of genuine maple syrup in those parts.)
Yes....I had some thimbleberry jam at a little diner in Copper Harbor a few years back on a cycle trip. I can see why it's so special. Another regionally prized berry is the huckleberry...available in Idaho and Montana.

Yes...you have to look for Grade B. Whole Foods and other specialty stores have it. It's "hard core". I think just recently they have eliminated all the "B" grades and are going with "A". Just look for "dark amber" or "dark" on the label. Also, try to find real Vermont, NH, WI varieties.
The grading scheme (at least here in Vermont) was changed a couple years ago from Fancy, A, and B because it was felt that it implied that the grades became inferior as you went down. Now it's all grade A and named "golden color and delicate taste," "amber color and rich taste," and "dark color and robust taste." (There are also even darker grades sold in bulk for processing instead of retail) This also happens to be the system the Canadians use, so another reason for the change was so our syrup could be more easily compared to theirs by out of state buyers.

As an aside, Vermont maple syrup is actually required by law to have a slightly higher sugar content than what other states and Canada require--66.9% sugar instead of 66%.

The grading scheme (at least here in Vermont) was changed a couple years ago from Fancy, A, and B because it was felt that it implied that the grades became inferior as you went down. Now it's all grade A and named "golden color and delicate taste," "amber color and rich taste," and "dark color and robust taste." (There are also even darker grades sold in bulk for processing instead of retail) This also happens to be the system the Canadians use, so another reason for the change was so our syrup could be more easily compared to theirs by out of state buyers.

As an aside, Vermont maple syrup is actually required by law to have a slightly higher sugar content than what other states and Canada require--66.9% sugar instead of 66%.
Thanks for the clarification....good to hear from a real Green Mountain guy. You can still find the old "B" in some specialty stores. I have a quart jug here at home.

Yes....I had some thimbleberry jam at a little diner in Copper Harbor a few years back on a cycle trip. I can see why it's so special. Another regionally prized berry is the huckleberry...available in Idaho and Montana.
Fortunately for me, huckleberry especially are available here in Washington too.

Glad the French toast is back, or will be........so much better than pancakes, will be taking Crescent from NOL to NYP this summer and breakfast, with the French toast is my favorite meal on board.

Fortunately for me, huckleberry especially are available here in Washington too.
Sorry...I should have said NW states. I've also had them in Alaska, Oregon, and Wyoming. There is also a great bakery in Hungry Horse, MT that sells the pies. Fantastic.

Sorry...I should have said NW states. I've also had them in Alaska, Oregon, and Wyoming. There is also a great bakery in Hungry Horse, MT that sells the pies. Fantastic.
My favorite dessert when I was a child was my grandmother's huckleberry cobbler. This was in north Georgia, and I remember going to pick them once.

I love, and only use pure maple syrup on pancakes, and as a sugar substitute when baking, but imho it doesn't belong on french toast. French toast is meant to be eaten with a good jam, jelly or preserves, and yeah, I often get strange looks from the server when I specify no syrup, jam please! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back