Regional to Downeaster question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthCoastHiawatha

OBS Chief
I will be taking the 66 from NYP to BBY with the self transfer to North Station and then to Portland. I arrive at BBY at 7:55 and leave North Station at 9:05. Is taking the Orange Line the fastest option? I should note that I will have some luggage with me but its not heavy stuff.

I will be taking the 66 from NYP to BBY with the self transfer to North Station and then to Portland. I arrive at BBY at 7:55 and leave North Station at 9:05. Is taking the Orange Line the fastest option? I should note that I will have some luggage with me but its not heavy stuff.
From Back Bay to North Station, if you've got just some light luggage, yes, I'd use the Orange Line. I would use a taxi only if I had a really heavy bag or several pieces that were difficult to carry at once.

From Back Bay to North Station, if you've got just some light luggage, yes, I'd use the Orange Line. I would use a taxi only if I had a really heavy bag or several pieces that were difficult to carry at once.
The Orange Line is super convenient and definitely the best way to travel between the two.

My sister and I were in Portland early this week and we opted for a longer layover - just in case 66 was running late. (which it wasn't). We de-trained in BOS, relaxed a bit, then took the T from BOS to BON (switching to Orange at Downtown Crossing). We had no problems with our luggage, however, it was a bit past rush hour. However, on the way back, we took 680 from POR to BON (arriving around 8am), then took the T to BBY (which was easy, even in rush hour). I think the entire trip took 10 minutes and we had plenty of time before the Acela 2159 came through BBY. Several AU members provided me with detailed instructions, which I had memorized and for some reason several passengers thought I knew where I was going and followed me. :eek:

I made no wrong turns and ended up where I wanted to be.

My sister and I were in Portland early this week and we opted for a longer layover - just in case 66 was running late. (which it wasn't). We de-trained in BOS, relaxed a bit, then took the T from BOS to BON (switching to Orange at Downtown Crossing). We had no problems with our luggage, however, it was a bit past rush hour. However, on the way back, we took 680 from POR to BON (arriving around 8am), then took the T to BBY (which was easy, even in rush hour). I think the entire trip took 10 minutes and we had plenty of time before the Acela 2159 came through BBY. Several AU members provided me with detailed instructions, which I had memorized and for some reason several passengers thought I knew where I was going and followed me. :eek:

I made no wrong turns and ended up where I wanted to be.
Those were Dave and other AUers who were in disguise :ph34r: making sure you didn't make any wrong turns. Or maybe to see if you did so they could tease you about it.

Yea you should be fine. Even though it will be rush hour, going from BBY to BON on the orange line is the opposite direction of many commuters who take the orange line from Malden/Medford into Boston. Enjoy your trip!

Well I will have a back pack and roller bag, my travel companion will have the same. I have brought similar aboard the DC metro and didn't have any issues then.
Sure, if you thin you can do it, go ahead. I've never had a problem taken luggage aboard a subway train or bus.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Orange Line is super convenient and definitely the best way to travel between the two.
Wait, how do you know? Your signature indicates you have not taken the downeaster, even though you've done MBTA. :giggle:
How do you expect me to respond to this? You put a smiley face while what seems like insulting me. I can guarantee you I already know more about public transit in most major cities than you'll ever come close to knowing. Seriously, I'm fine with you disagreeing, and I have no problem with that. Everybody is entitled to his/her opinion. However, don't try to undermine my credibility by questioning me in this way.

[Moderator's Note]

Please no swinging insults! Let's keep this civil.

[Moderator hat off]

Just for your information, SH, the Orange Line connects the 2 stations, there is no changing trains, transit time is 12 minutes and you walk far less than 200 feet at either end! I've walked more than that at airports changing planes!

Wait, how do you know? Your signature indicates you have not taken the downeaster, even though you've done MBTA. :giggle:
How do you expect me to respond to this? You put a smiley face while what seems like insulting me. I can guarantee you I already know more about public transit in most major cities than you'll ever come close to knowing. Seriously, I'm fine with you disagreeing, and I have no problem with that. Everybody is entitled to his/her opinion. However, don't try to undermine my credibility by questioning me in this way.
Bit of an overreaction, IMHO.

Johnny, it was just a joke! Sorry! I'm not tying to undermine your credibility because other people have said the same thing and I've even agreed. And I must add that I'm not happy about you saying that you'll always know more then me, seriously, bragging is not the way to go. I'm in no contest to know more than you do about transit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back