Refunds on Discount Tickets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chessie Hokie

Train Attendant
At this point this is purely a hypothetical scenario, but the information will be good to know for planning purposes...

I know that Amtrak has somewhat mysterious restrictions on refunds for "some discount tickets", but Amtrak literature that I have found doesn't define this very well beyond that. I have always assumed that the restricted discounts referred to were for special, limited promotional type fares...or is that a poor assumption on my part?

How about the "standard" discounts available to NARP and AAA members or for Seniors? Would normal refund rules apply to these tickets or are they restricted as to refunds?

As an example, if I were to purchase roundtrip Amtrak travel online between RVR and CHS using the standard 10% NARP (or AAA) discount. If tickets have not yet been printed when I decide to cancel the reservation online prior to travel, would I get a 100% refund (as I would were the tickets not discounted)?

I had to cancel an anticipated trip for this September and I had a AAA discount. I got the full refund and the agent didn't bat an eye when I called in. The main thing to not print your tickets until you know the trip is a for sure thing. After that, you need to exchange for credit or loose 10%.

I know I'm missing other details on their cancellation policy, but that my experience about a month ago.

Dan

So basically you can make a 10% profit but canceling, is that right? or am I missing something?

So basically you can make a 10% profit but canceling, is that right? or am I missing something?
No - what you get is a voucher for future Amtrak travel for 100% of the fare paid OR 90% of the fare paid - if you want a refund!
:huh: But isn't that only if the ticket has been printed? I am talking about a paid, but unticketed, reservation...

If the ticket was not printed and was paid, you apparently made the res online and charged it to your credit card. What they would do is reverse the charge to your credit card. If you made the res and paid for it (like at the station), the ticket would have been printed - and that's where the 90%/100% comes in.

No, no. I am pretty sure he meant he got a full refund of the price he paid. Not more.
Yep, that's what I meant. Sorry if that wasn't clear. NO profit is made. :)

And they were very prompt about deducting the AGR points that I got for putting them on my AGR Chase card (not that I wasn't expecting it to happen). :p

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have printed ticket on hand and wish to refund, do you need to return the ticket back by mail or/and at the staffed station in order to have it refund with minus 10% or a voucher which is 100% refund?

If you have printed ticket on hand and wish to refund, do you need to return the ticket back by mail or/and at the staffed station in order to have it refund with minus 10% or a voucher which is 100% refund?
Yes, you will either need to mail it into Philadelphia or take it to a staffed Amtrak station to get a refund/voucher. Also be aware of the ticket's expiration date, normally one year after the issuance date. Once the ticket expires, you have graciously made your donation to Amtrak.

Okay, we got a bit off track here from the intent of my original question, but to summarize what I gather from the above responses is that refunds on AAA or NARP discount tickets are treated the same as full fare tickets: unprinted tickets are fully refunded, while printed tickets are 90% refunded or get a 100% voucher based on the discounted fare paid (no profit making scheme involved!). Correct?

Okay, we got a bit off track here from the intent of my original question, but to summarize what I gather from the above responses is that refunds on AAA or NARP discount tickets are treated the same as full fare tickets: unprinted tickets are fully refunded, while printed tickets are 90% refunded or get a 100% voucher based on the discounted fare paid (no profit making scheme involved!). Correct?
Correct.

I had a reservation using the 2 for 1 offer for NTD. The other 2 people could not go. :(

So I submitted them for a refund at the ticket window when I was picking up our tickets. The agent didn't bat an eye. He just said that $46 will be put back on my AX. The cost for the reservation was ...

$46!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back