Refund Policy

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I've traveled by Amtrak on several occasions I have never used their on-line reservation system. With that thought in mind I have several questions which those more experienced might answer.

1) If an on-line reservation is made, including a bedroom accomodation, must one use a credit card to complete the reservation, or may one simply pay when obtaining the ticket(s)?

2) What are the cancellation rules? May a reservation previously made be cancelled before the travel date? If so, is there any time limit, e.g., no cancellation within 24/48/72 hours of the travel date?

3) If a reservation may be be cancelled and was prepaid with a credit card how does one obtain a corresponding credit?

4) Does one obtain the corresponding tickets at any Amtrak Ticket Office, or is it done by email in a manner similar to that used by the major airelines?

Although I've traveled by Amtrak on several occasions I have never used their on-line reservation system. With that thought in mind I have several questions which those more experienced might answer.
1) If an on-line reservation is made, including a bedroom accommodation, must one use a credit card to complete the reservation, or may one simply pay when obtaining the ticket(s)?
Yes. you must use a credit card and the charge is made when the on-line reservation is completed. Phone reservations may be made and paid later, but not on-line reservations.

2) What are the cancellation rules? May a reservation previously made be cancelled before the travel date? If so, is there any time limit, e.g., no cancellation within 24/48/72 hours of the travel date?
Yes, reservations may be cancelled right up to departure time (and even after) and your rail fare refunded unless you used a discount program or code that is non-refundable. If you have not been "ticketed" (tickets mailed, issued by kiosk, or picked up at a ticket office), you get a 100% refund. If you have tickets in-hand, then you get a 90% refund or a 100% credit toward future travel. Special rules apply to the extra accommodation charge. This must be cancelled at least seven days prior to travel for a refund, but is still eligible for 100% credit toward future travel regardless of when travel is cancelled. One exception to the seven day rule is if the train is more than two hours late at you origination station. If so, you can get the accommodation charge refunded even with a last minute cancellation.

3) If a reservation may be be cancelled and was prepaid with a credit card how does one obtain a corresponding credit?
The original card will get credited. If you cancel on-line (no ticket issued), the credit is automatic and fast. If your ticket is issued, you must either mail or present the ticket to an Amtrak agent for the refund to be processed. You still get the refund, but it is more of a hassle and takes abit longer.

4) Does one obtain the corresponding tickets at any Amtrak Ticket Office, or is it done by email in a manner similar to that used by the major airelines?
There is no self-printing option for Amtrak like airline boarding passes. You must get your ticket either by snail mail or by going to an Amtrak station and using a QuikTrak kiosk or the agent. I STRONGLY urge not getting on-line booked tickets until the day of travel (unless you are leaving from a station with no agent or kiosk). Once a ticket is issued a lot of change or cancellation flexibility is lost. With the reservation held electronically until the last minute, your ticket is almost like a boarding pass and you have lots of options to change or cancel without hassle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back