Reconsidering Starlight Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

da40flyer

Train Attendant
I have tickets booked on the Starlight northbound from LA to Portland on June 26, and southbound on July 6. But with all the problems I'm reading about getting this line back up and running, and such little info coming out of Amtrak about it, I'm wondering if I should nix this idea. Any thoughts? I really would like my kids to experience this, but the thought of paying for a train and being on a bus is not high up on my "want to do with the kids" list. Any advice?

I'd take a wait-and-see attitude at this point. Chances are excellent that a through train will be running by your trip dates, and chances are reasonably good that this train will be newly re-launched with top-of-the-line amenities.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is not up by June 26th, in its full glory, I will be astonished. Unless you hear about the entire mountain collapsing all over again, bet on it being up and running by then.

Hi,

I think the best idea is to wait and see.. but have a back up plan for how to spend that time if the repairs are not finished. You can cancel your tickets nearer the travel date.

While it is no comfort to you, it is one of the attractions of USA to me, the place still feels a bit "unformed", slightly frontier, in that such large scale natural events can happen! (And that's without the sub prime meltdown!)

Ed B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back