Recommendations for cross-country trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning a 10- to 14-day trip for 2007, starting in DC, and I'm hoping to get some recommendations about possible routes. The cities I vist are less important than the scenery along the way.

I'd like to go Capitol Limited to Chicago and Empire Builder to Seattle. But then I'm not sure whether to take the Coast Starlight to Emeryville and the California Zephyr back to Chicago, or to go all the way to LA and take the SW Chief back. I'd like to hear what people think about the two routes eastbound, especially scenery-wise.

From Chicago, I plan on taking the LSL east, either to Buffalo to connect to Toronto and VIA Rail to Montreal, then take the Adirondack to NYC, or just straight through to NYC. I took the LSL once before and it was several hours late. Is that common with this train? Also, for such a short trip, is it worth it on VIA to upgrade from Comfort Class to VIA 1?

From there, I'll head back to DC.

Or, is it worth doing the NA Rail Pass and from Seattle, head to Vancouver and take the Canadien back to Toronto, then pick up the LSL to NYC? It looked expensive when I checked the Web site.

Also, does anybody have recommendations for April/May vs. October for best time to travel these routes? January of 2008 is another option.

Much thanks for any information/recommendations!

Aloha

Not sure how to answer but the Coast Stallight is a great ride to LA and the SWC is also a fantastic train. If you can afford the time and money I go all the way to LA, do expect to be late in LA.

I don't know about how you would have to do the other trains, but regarding the "Starlight" and the "VIA Candian" I would be sure to take the "Starlight" northward out of LAX all the way to SEA. And use the "Cascades" service to Vancouver and take the "Candian" eastbound to Toronto. This way you give yourself enough layover time (about two days worth I believe) to make the connection from the "Starlight" to the "Cascades" service in order to make sure you don't miss the "Canadian." The "Starlight" is usually very late and eats up that time. The "Cascades' service is a morning departure out of SEA and gets you to Vancouver with plenty of time before you have to check in for the "Canadian." The downside of riding the 'Canadian" eastbound is it seems to run less on time than its westbound sister does. My party and I made the trip on the "Canadian" westbound! We were pretty much on time all the way, and on the third day east of Jasper Alberta we passed the eastbound, and they were already two and a half hours late! Anyway the wind blows, you are picking good trains to ride, especially the "Starlight, Builder, and the Canadian." I have not done the "Builder" yet but will be my next one when time permits (if the oprortunity exists). I haven't been on the "Zephyr or the Chief" yet either, but I hear good comments about them (as well as the "Builder") at work from passenegers who have ridden them. Good luck and I know it's kinda a long time away, but let us know how it was if your plans don't change by then. OBS...

Do not change trains in Emeryville. There is only one hour layover and the Coast Starlight is always late. Change in Sacramento where the layover is 5 hours. Now if you plan to stay in SF a few days ignore this.

If you change in Los Angeles you will miss your connection by about 2 hours, assuming the train is on time. You will have to stay overnight and most of the next day which you may want to do.

I think the scenery is much better on the western part of the CZ trip to Chicago. The eastern part would be the same on the Southwest Chief.

The southwest chief isn't much for scenery. I would say the Zephyr and the Builder would be the best trains, but you don't want to miss the Starlight from San Francisco to L.A. It's a tough call, but i would say to take the Zephyr.

Thanks for the information, especially SW Chief Vs. CZ. That will definitely make a difference in my planning.

I've read that Amtrak is good about covering costs (hotel, food, etc.) if you miss a connection because a train's late. If I'm not on a tight timetable on the return, would it work to schedule the trip to Emeryville and just assume it will be late and they'll stick me on the next day's train?

idahoblackberry said:
If I'm not on a tight timetable on the return, would it work to schedule the trip to Emeryville and just assume it will be late and they'll stick me on the next day's train?
That would work, but one word of caution. If you are in a sleeper and the train for the next day is sold out in sleeper class, then you would end up with a coach ticket and refund for the difference.

id say you would be better off doing the trip in reverse, i.e. first take the zephyr or sw west, then take the starlight north and EB east. That way you are guaranteed to see the best scenery. A tardy EB west and youlll miss glacier park..

Aloha

I second MontanaJim posting but you will need to pad a day in Seattle as the Empire builder will probably not connect. I even think it was removed from the guaranteed connection list.

If your interested I have pictures of the three routes on my picture gallery.

Thanks for all the information and suggestions. I hadn't thought about taking the Empire Builder east, but I wouldn't want to miss seeing Glacier Park. Also, the CS time info is good to know for scheduling.

Much thanks to everybody who replied!

Back