Recommendations for a cooler?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kelemvor

Train Attendant
We're heading from Milwaukee to Seattle (2 overnights) and my wife and 2 kids are both Gluten Free and somewhat dairy free. I know the train can't accommodate that so we're planning on them bringing enough food for the trip. However, we're not sure about keeping it cold and are looking for any recommendations.

I'm assuming we're limited to a soft sided cooler bag type thing for size reasons and for being portable. However, most of those don't really keep things cold for very long.

Does anyone have a portable/travel cooler you use that you'd recommend or does anyone have any other ideas for what we can use to keep stuff cold?

Thanks!

Hi, I am heading to Milwaukee and I am taking my Thermos collapsible cooler with me. I have used it before and it seems to stay cold for most of the first day. I bring extra ice packs and freeze small blocks of ice that I keep in Ziploc bags so they don't leak. I used to get ice from the SCA, but not sure that is possible anymore.

The cooler can fit about 18 cans, but can become compacted when needed.

Hope that helps.

JATX.

Last edited by a moderator:
The size of your cooler is restricted to the maximum carry-on size, which is 28"x22"x14". There's nothing that says you can't bring a hard-sided cooler. It's not a baseball game where they might be worried about someone using one as a weapon, and it's not Disneyland where they say it has to be a small soft-sided cooler.

A decent cooler that fits those dimensions would be an Igloo Island Breeze 28 roller. You probably wouldn't be able to take it upstairs as one won't fit in the overhead rack without tipping it over. One might fit on a lower-level rack or in the bulkhead space.

We normally book a bedroom on our LD trips and we take an Igloo Playmate hard cooler where the top is hinged to the handle,( so it doesn't fall off while transporting it). As for ice that is getting hard to get but during our layovers in CHI we walk to Greektown to buy a bag of ice for the next leg of the trip. On two overnight runs, we have tipped the SCA and he always comes back with a bucket full of ice. Remember money talks, nobody walks!!!

There is also a third possibility with a "plug in cooler" like the Koolotron They cool to 40*F and are mostly for Car RV 12V use but on some units you can buy an optional AC adapter and just plug it in to an outlet on Amtrak. They do not use high wattage so they should be OK.to plug in, and no ice is required.

I looked again at Amtrak rules, and apparently the basic restriction is for a maximum 12"x12"12" cooler considered to be one personal item (limit of two per passenger). I couldn't find this rule without doing a search for "cooler size", and it only comes up as an answer from Ask Julie. However, you might be able to bring aboard something bigger since a dietary restriction may be considered a medical condition. Or you could bring a cooler for each passenger, or more as the personal item allowance applies.

There's no specific rule saying that coolers must be soft sided.

Personally I don't think you'd have a problem with something a little bit bigger, but you never know if some Amtrak employee feels like bringing out a tape measure. Something that is just over (and I mean 1/4") would be an Igloo Ice Cube 14, which is 12.24"x12.19"x11.69". I really prefer hard sided coolers because they don't leak. Perhaps a soft sided cooler with a plastic tub would work too.

https://www.igloocoolers.com/ice-cube-14

We normally book a bedroom on our LD trips and we take an Igloo Playmate hard cooler where the top is hinged to the handle,( so it doesn't fall off while transporting it). As for ice that is getting hard to get but during our layovers in CHI we walk to Greektown to buy a bag of ice for the next leg of the trip. On two overnight runs, we have tipped the SCA and he always comes back with a bucket full of ice. Remember money talks, nobody walks!!!
A Playmate is actually bigger than the 12" square maximum dimensions that Amtrak theoretically allows. It's more than 14" in its biggest dimension. I wouldn't expect any Amtrak employee to care though.

I like the Polar Bear soft-sided coolers for train travel.
$159 for a cooler? Yikes!! Does the company send someone to keep it filled with ice for that much? :p
That seemed odd. I don't think they should cost that much. You get these odd prices on Amazon sometimes from resellers.

It's expensive, but not that expensive. The company website has $30 for a six pack size. The backpack size is $100. It looks like the six pack size is the only one that would fit in a 12" cube.

http://www.polarbearcoolers.com

$159 for a cooler? Yikes!! Does the company send someone to keep it filled with ice for that much? :p
That seemed odd. I don't think they should cost that much. You get these odd prices on Amazon sometimes from resellers.

It's expensive, but not that expensive. The company website has $30 for a six pack size. The backpack size is $100. It looks like the six pack size is the only one that would fit in a 12" cube.

Sorry for the expensive link. I think I paid less than $50 for the 6-pack size a couple of years ago, which holds a fair amount more than just a 6-pack. It straps nicely onto a rolling suitcase, and keeps food or beverages cool continuously if you add a couple of cups of ice each day. Fits nicely in a roomette, too. Only downside is it WILL leak through the zipper if turned on its side.

Sorry for the expensive link. I think I paid less than $50 for the 6-pack size a couple of years ago, which holds a fair amount more than just a 6-pack. It straps nicely onto a rolling suitcase, and keeps food or beverages cool continuously if you add a couple of cups of ice each day. Fits nicely in a roomette, too. Only downside is it WILL leak through the zipper if turned on its side.
That price was for the backpack version. I found a photo of one being carried, which gives an idea of its size. Most pictures of it look like it's a lunch bag. It should be about $100, although some places sell it for more than that $159.

coolerbackpackpolar.jpg

According to this page, each person can bring TWO carry ons and TWO personal items? In addition to 2 Checked bags? Is that right?

https://www.amtrak.com/carry-on-baggage

Each passenger may bring two personal items, 25 lbs. (12 kg) and 14 x 11 x 7 inches each, and two carry-on items, 50 lbs. (23 kg) and 28 x 22 x 14 inches each, onboard.
Yep, that is correct, and some items don't count against you!

According to this page, each person can bring TWO carry ons and TWO personal items? In addition to 2 Checked bags? Is that right?

https://www.amtrak.com/carry-on-baggage

Each passenger may bring two personal items, 25 lbs. (12 kg) and 14 x 11 x 7 inches each, and two carry-on items, 50 lbs. (23 kg) and 28 x 22 x 14 inches each, onboard.
Theoretically yes. The carry-on size is pretty much airline check-in sized, although airlines (and Amtrak check-in) usually use total linear dimensions. They may not even be that strict as long as you can manage all the stuff yourself. Still - try lugging 150 lbs on board. It's not going to be easy.

I mentioned the note from "Ask Julie" about coolers. A cooler can substitute for a personal item even though the required dimensions are larger. This is what comes up (I can't find it on any linkable page):

Coolers no larger than 12 inches by 12 inches by 12 inches may be brought onboard as a personal item.

On top of that, infant items like a stroller or diaper bag don't count. An infant doesn't get a baggage allowance though. It's unclear if a stroller counts towards an item if it's a kid at least 2. I've brought aboard a stroller that was longer than the maximum carry-on dimension. The attendant told me to put it in an area where several oversized items were placed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back