Recomendations for GPS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some recomendations or suggestions for a GPS unit that is compatible with train travel. What works, what doesn't, and if you were going to buy a unit today, what would you buy?

I'm thinking we might need a GPS sticky thread. And one for Scanners. Maybe combine them into a single sticky thread?

As for me, I use the GPS that came with my Android smartphone and paired it up with Google's My Tracks. You can also save your path and upload it for others to see, or at least I think you can. I've also tried Navagon on iPhone but found that it always wanted to put us on the nearest road and couldn't be changed to stop that behavior, which I found really annoying. I've also used some stand alone units like Tom Tom and Magellan, but not on a train, so I can't really comment on their performance for train use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking we might need a GPS sticky thread. And one for Scanners. Maybe combine them into a single sticky thread?

As for me, I use the GPS that came with my Android smartphone and paired it up with Google's My Tracks. You can also save your path and upload it for others to see, or at least I think you can. I've also tried Navagon on iPhone but found that it always wanted to put us on the nearest road and couldn't be changed to stop that behavior, which I found really annoying. I've also used some stand alone units like Tom Tom and Magellan, but not on a train, so I can't really comment on their performance for train use.
Yes, GPS thread needs to be stuck at the top!

I have tried two different GPS devices on Amtrak and found them working well.

1) Garmin's basic car GPS (I got mine for $100). Put it on Walking/Pedestrian mode while in train so that it doesn't keep latching itself to roads around the tracks. Shows location, orientation and speed accurately as long as you keep it by the window.

2) Google Maps on Android smartphone for location, along with SpeedView app (available free on Android Market) to log the speed of the train. Works fairly accurately, provided you have the GPS on the smartphone enabled.

I used a Garmin Nuvi that I used in my car. Like Texan Eagle, I put it on pedestrian mode. It does sometimes jump to streets but it still traks speed correctly and you can tell roughly where you are. A few tips I found is to make sure you turn it on before going on the train or even inside the station. If the last place the GPS was is your house hundreds of miles away it takes longer to link to the satilites. When I get on I hold it right on the window until I get a signal. Pnce I did that I was able to move it onto the table and it kept it's signal.

I used a Garmin Nuvi that I used in my car. Like Texan Eagle, I put it on pedestrian mode. It does sometimes jump to streets but it still traks speed correctly and you can tell roughly where you are. A few tips I found is to make sure you turn it on before going on the train or even inside the station. If the last place the GPS was is your house hundreds of miles away it takes longer to link to the satilites. When I get on I hold it right on the window until I get a signal. Pnce I did that I was able to move it onto the table and it kept it's signal.

If you have a smartphone, free google maps app with GPS turned on will show you down to the 3 meters.

Did I mention Free?

My son's Tomtom, which he got as a present from his Grandfather since I don't have the means to buy such toys... gives speed and location, when signal available, but constantly wants to replan ("recalculating" on the other brand) away from the tracks. It shows the car on the tracks, and how it plans to redirect the car back to the road. Hours of fun. 83 when the limit was 79, and 114 or even 120 when the limit raised to 110. I mean, theoretically.

As I posted a couple of days ago on another (similar) thread, I use a Garmin Nuvi 165 with a 110V adap. (not to be confused with amps ^_^ ) The nice thing about it is it's portable and has all kinds of restaraunt, drug/grocery store, and attractions pre-loaded. It fits easy in the pocket, battery charge last about 4-5 hours, and it's a great way to find your way around a new town with built in walking directions. Works great on the train with the windshield mount never a problem with a signal unless we are in a long tunnel or underground like CUS. I think I caught it on sale for around $89-100 bucks

I have seen a few of the older NAV systems like a tom tom that is Clearly meant for a car and just that not do so well in train or boat .. it thinks Iam taking a Wrong turn .. as some posters have said some new ones have Ped mode where its just as simple as a normal E trex or what not ........ ... some I have had seen others use have a hard time keeping a Lock on the sats ....

I use my iphone and the google maps app that comes with it. It's fun to watch the little blue dot move along the route in real time.

I've found the Nuvi works very well on the train! Of course, you'll need AC power adapter for longer trips.

Lately, I've been using a DeLorme USB GPS receiver with my laptop. I like the fact the USB antenna is small/light weight and can be mounted on the window, and that the device is powered by my computer (fewer power cables). The computer provides large display and of course records the track.

Some older GPS devices may not work as well - due to poor signal reception in some circumstances. Newer GPS devices have improved signal reception/processing capabilities.

I have an older e-Trex that works fairly well when it is located at the window. I also have an old GPS III+ with an external antenna that works well when the antenna is mounted at the window. However, the GPS III+ experiences some problems with signal lock if you power up while the train is moving more than about 20 MPH. In other words, power up your GPS when the train is stopped or better yet at the station before you board.

Lately, I've been using a DeLorme USB GPS receiver with my laptop. I like the fact the USB antenna is small/light weight and can be mounted on the window, and that the device is powered by my computer (fewer power cables). The computer provides large display and of course records the track.
I also use the DeLorme with the usb gps unit that plugs into my netbook and have been quite satisfied with it on board. A smart phone is an alternative but when you're in a metal can - remember Michael Faraday - the ability to put the antenna where it works the best is a big plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back