Recent Silver Meteor trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That (staff standing by, doing nothing) also occurs often on the NE Corridor. For example, in DC, NEC trains originating in VA use the easternmost tracks, which require stepping up on a stool and then the stairs. Some passengers cannot do this without assistance, especially with luggage. It often falls to other passengers to help them, while train crew stand by doing nothing.
I'm not sure about the trains from VA, but the only staff that I'm aware of on the NEC is the LSA who is busy working in the cafe car. The conductor and assistant conductor have other duties and are not just standing around. Red caps are available at WAS and they'll carry your luggage onto the train and place it on the overhead rack or at the end of the car for you.

On the Silver Meteor at WAS and FLL, my sleeping car attendants were attentive and helped me to board and get off the train. At WAS, the Red Cap available--for some many guests disembarking at WAS--took some time to arrive at my spot outside my Sleeper. My Sleeping Car Attendant remained with me, in the chill of the morning, until the Red Cap arrived.

Perhaps that is because the train crews and Amtrak do not want to be accused of assault, fondling, sexual touching, pickpocketing and all the other types of liability
Oh c'mon. Very few people have been charged with "assault, fondling, sexual touching, pickpocketing and all the other types of liability" from boosting up a suitcase.

Personally, I have never had a problem with the Amtrak personnel helping with my carry on bags on either of the Silver trains. They have eagerly lifted it up and down for me without me asking.

I did have a conductor ask me if I was sure that my bags met the weight restrictions since I had my duffel bag bungeed to my roll on - I told her if I unhooked them they each met the criteria individually and offered to unhook them. She just said it was fine the way it was, had me get on the train and then handed my bags up to me still fastened as one.

Also, I understood the comment about crews not helping applied to those with special needs, like a chair, and that the crews were not helping the actual person, not their bags - thus the comment on a possible reason they would no physically help a person by touching them.

The depot in Palatka, Fl is unmanned. It does have a chair lift. Twice I have seen this lift used for the Star. The crew was very helpful in getting the chair with it's rider on the lift and helping the person get on and/or off the rain - even having those of us who did not need the lift wait while they tended to the person in the chair. No passengers had to help with the chair.

Perhaps that is because the train crews and Amtrak do not want to be accused of assault, fondling, sexual touching, pickpocketing and all the other types of liability people like to sue corporation for - even if the allegations cannot be proven and are often unfounded
If you're worried about malicious repercussions then ask if they want assistance and offer up an arm or elbow for them to initiate contact. I don't disagree that false accusations and worst case assumptions are a rational concern for some people, but not every interaction is equally dangerous.

Last edited:
Rode the Meteor several days ago.

The good: The food was excellent. I thought it was better than on VIA Canadian.
The bad: Service overall was so so, certainly not good as on VIA.
The ugly: Cleanliness could use some improvement. Trash from the previous trip left in the room and the carpet floor was filthy.

I have the return trip in a month and it will be the last trip with the full diner.

Back