Recent lateness of Coast Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmbgeg

Engineer
Is this a result of track work, or??? I am talking about more than the two hour delays in origination departure times.

I am traveling on the CS southbound and northbound in February, after the track work is scheduled to end. I would rather not arrive in LAX after midnight or miss my EB connection in PDX on the return.

Current service disruptions on 14 and 11 have nothing to do with the scheduled trackwork. Freight derailment in N California. See http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,2670397 . How much would it cost Amtrak to post something in their Serv Disrupt page beyond scheduled work?Seems like one person in corporate headquarters (or maybe 2 for two shifts) would do it. Would enough people be interested to make it worthwhile?

These late arrivals of train 11 into LAX cannot be track work related:

2012-01-21: Scheduled: 9:00 pm Actual: 5:12 am Delay: 492 minutes

2012-01-20: Scheduled: 9:00 pm Actual: 4:28 am Delay: 448 minutes

Nor can most of these arrivals in SEA of 14:

2012-01-24: Scheduled: 10:45 pm Actual: 5:24 am Delay: 399 minutes

2012-01-23: Scheduled: 10:45 pm Actual: 12:13 am Delay: 88 minutes

2012-01-22: Scheduled: 10:45 pm Actual: 2:23 am Delay: 218 minutes

2012-01-21: Scheduled: 10:45 pm Actual: 4:15 am Delay: 330 minutes

:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
These late arrivals of train 11 into LAX cannot be track work related:

2012-01-21: Scheduled: 9:00 pm Actual: 5:12 am Delay: 492 minutes

2012-01-20: Scheduled: 9:00 pm Actual: 4:28 am Delay: 448 minutes

Nor can most of these arrivals in SEA of 14:

2012-01-24: Scheduled: 10:45 pm Actual: 5:24 am Delay: 399 minutes

2012-01-23: Scheduled: 10:45 pm Actual: 12:13 am Delay: 88 minutes

2012-01-22: Scheduled: 10:45 pm Actual: 2:23 am Delay: 218 minutes

2012-01-21: Scheduled: 10:45 pm Actual: 4:15 am Delay: 330 minutes

:eek:
Geez, with those 1-22 and 1-23 arrival times into LA, I sure hope the SCAs didn't make everyone vacate their rooms and stand in the lower doorway area for 8 hours!! :lol:

Seriously, the fact that they occurred 3 nights running, there could be some connection to track work or forced stoppage??

The Starlights have just had a rough week:

--Powerful rain/snow/ice storms in the PNW forced turns at PDX.

--Lead unit on #14 hit debris near Dorris, CA, disabling it and requiring UP rescue engine.

--AMTK 55 had fuel problem requiring that day's #11 (which originated at PDX) to add a UP engine on point.

--AMTK 184 had grade crossing accident north of King City, CA.

--14(24) and 11(24) required bustitutions between KFS and SAC due to derailment in Dunsmuir area.

--Late arrivals make for late departures the next morning.

--Late trains get later.

Just out of curiosity, I checked to see when #14 would be pulling into San Jose tonight. It says it will be late by 1:40. So I start to backtrack to see where it started to go wrong, and ended up at Union Station in Los Angeles, where it was indicated to have left thirty-eight minutes late. Unbelievably enough, the next stop in Burbank, a mere fourteen miles way, the train was indicated to have departed late by 1:24.

What happened?

Just out of curiosity, I checked to see when #14 would be pulling into San Jose tonight. It says it will be late by 1:40. So I start to backtrack to see where it started to go wrong, and ended up at Union Station in Los Angeles, where it was indicated to have left thirty-eight minutes late. Unbelievably enough, the next stop in Burbank, a mere fourteen miles way, the train was indicated to have departed late by 1:24.

What happened?
Must have been a major snowstorm along the Los Angeles River out of LA :lol:

The Starlights have just had a rough week:

--Powerful rain/snow/ice storms in the PNW forced turns at PDX.

--Lead unit on #14 hit debris near Dorris, CA, disabling it and requiring UP rescue engine.

--AMTK 55 had fuel problem requiring that day's #11 (which originated at PDX) to add a UP engine on point.

--AMTK 184 had grade crossing accident north of King City, CA.

--14(24) and 11(24) required bustitutions between KFS and SAC due to derailment in Dunsmuir area.

--Late arrivals make for late departures the next morning.

--Late trains get later.
Excellent details. I was in Olympia, Washington 1/18-21 during its horrible snow and ice storms. 17+" snow followed by two days of freezing rain. Olympia is not equipped for that much snow. I read that the Amtrak Cascades was suspended between PDX and Vancouver, Canada, but the media was silent on the CS. Obviously, if the tracks were unpassable for the Cascades there were also so for the CS.

What happened?
Speculation: because it got a late start out of L.A., it lost its usual "slot" and therefore had to hold for opposing Metrolink and/or freight trains before being allowed to take the crossover at Burbank Junction to get onto the Coast Line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back