Really LOUD harmonic horn

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally, I LOVE the horn and, while this wasn't horrible to me, it was unusually loud and made it even harder for me to try and lure my husband over to the dark side.
mosking.gif

It was on the Pere Marquette 370 on 12/3

I've been in the first car before but this sounded different - like the windows were open and like there were 2 horns, sometimes sounding rather harmonic.

Is there a certain type of engine that has a rear and front facing horn?

Our Conductor said it wasn't the normal GE engine but that's all I found out.

The horn was much more enjoyable than the old man across the aisle who was obviously riding for the first (or second) time.

He wanted to know if they were going to turn the lights on or if we were going to be riding in the dark.

Then he got huffy with me when I asked him (after waiting 10 minutes and nicely too) to turn his iPhone off or use headphones - uh, the whole world doesn't want to listen to your college sports game.

No doubt, he'd be the first to complain about some kid listening to music.

A bit later he got up, went downstairs to our pitiful piece of a cafe, came back and told everyone within earshot that it was much nicer down there and.... brightly lit too!

Needless to say, he and his SO had it all to themselves
mosking.gif

Anyway, I digress (as usual) .... does anyone know what kind of engine that was?

I'll make sure not to sit in the first car if I see one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back