Rare shots you've wanted to get

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GlobalistPotato

Lead Service Attendant
Sometimes there's some sort of delay or rerouting that sends an Amtrak train onto "rare milage". There's actually a forum for this. Sometimes though, delays can make odd catches possible.

For example, back sometime in mid-June, Texas Eagle #21 was delayed some 10 hours due to a derailment in Little Rock, AR. The result was that 21 was traveling south between Austin and SAS around 8 am or so. And Texas Eagle #22 had departed from SAS ontime. The result? I could have got a shot of the two trains meeting somewhere near San Marcos! Very rare event! But I didn't, cause I felt lazy that morning.
tongue.gif

Are there any rare shots/catches that you witnessed or documented (or experienced
biggrin.gif
), or any you could've catched but missed out on?

in early june, we were westbound on the cz running around 7 hours late out of sac so we were able to get photos of the great salt desert, silver zone pass and the ruby mts all of which are normally in the dark eastbound and westbound. so on our roundtrip sac-den we saw and photographed the entire route in daylight. a few years ago, going spk-pdx we didn't leave spk until around 5:30am and thus got to see and photograph the land of the great ice age flood from spk-pdx.

Last edited by a moderator:
The SWC running through Kansas during the day or through Oklahoma.

A few summers ago, I took a regional from NYP to BBY during the Operation Sail. It was one of those in-between days after OpSail was in NY harbor but before it was in NY harbor. A number of the tall ships were anchored just off the Connecticut coast. We also stopped at a drawbridge to let the replica Amistad go through.

The Heritage units with the current paint at Ivy City. That's All of them plus the current paint! There's a shot of it in the Anniversary Store on the train. I'd KILL!!!! For that!! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back