Rank Amtrak's long-distance routes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I recommend a detour from the Canadian by taking the Skeena to Jasper to Prince Rupert. Having said all this, don't miss the Canadian over the Rockies to Jasper.

Jean
Of the trains I have ridden I would start with the Alaska Railroad's Aurora between Fairbanks and Anchorage, just spectacular as is the ride from Anchorage to Seward. Then the Canadian. Where else can you spend three nights and three days in the glorious luxury of the 1950's with dome cars. Next would be the California Zephyr and the Coast Starlight. A draw in my book but both have great scenery. Followed by the Empire Builder and then the Southwest Chief and the Sunset Limited, both about the same but some great desert and sky scenes. The western trains trump the eastern ones hands down. Finally one of the great surprises of my life riding trains was the former BC rail operated 'Cariboo Prospector' between North Vancouver and lilooet(and tri weekly on to Prince George). A truly spectacular trip with non stop scenic delights which can now only be taken as part of a Rocky Mountaineer tour. Another route only accessible via Rocky Mountaineer is the Canadian Pacific route between Vancouver and Banf. Spectacular views of the Canadian Rockies. I am sure there are some eastern trips that are just as scenic, I just have not had the priviledge of taking them. The Capitol Limited and the Cardinal come to mind. I have ridden the CONO and the Crescent and the western end of the LSL and there isn't much there scenic wise to recomend although a trip on the NEC from Washington to Boston on an Acela business class would rank up there as America's only truly high speed rail. Finally, on my 'bucket list' is the White Pass and Yukon. Maybe next summer. I know some of these are not Amtrak but I added them anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then the Canadian. Where else can you spend three nights and three days in the glorious luxury of the 1950's with dome cars.
It's 4 nights now Henry, VIA Rail added some mega padding about 2 years ago or so. Just means more quality time on the rails! :)

Then the Canadian. Where else can you spend three nights and three days in the glorious luxury of the 1950's with dome cars.
It's 4 nights now Henry, VIA Rail added some mega padding about 2 years ago or so. Just means more quality time on the rails! :)

Couldn't agree more Alan. Yep its a night departure from Toronto now. They added something like 3 hours in Winnipeg for what I have no idea. They did at least add some more time in Jasper, something that was needed as it's a neat little town.

1. CZ Good Scenery

2 CS Great Scenery

3. EB Able to sleep well

4. CL Fun Passengers

5. SWC Never been on it

6. I have never had a good trip on the Lake Shore Limited, always full, seats are uncomfortable and it sits too long in Cleveland, would rather take a beating than ride it, but its a good connect from NYC to CHI and can be very late.
Hey! Don't knock Cleveland! -_- We appreciate our extra time getting on/off the train! Besides, it's stops in Cleveland at 3 - 4 in the morning, so shouldn't you be asleep at that time? :giggle:

I've given much thought of the Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver. However, I've heard many say that the best scenery is in the West ( Rockies area)! I've heard that conentrating on shorter routes out of Vancouver is the way to go??? Any Input Out There???

Thanx
Yep. The best scenery is in the part from Vancouver to say, Edmonton.

Not to say that the rest is uninteresting, and there are other things to do besides/including peering out the window.

I found that the majority of the sleeper passengers were not from Canada or the US, but from Europe & Australia/NZ.

Lots of interesting conversations.

Canada Trip

I notice in your Canada Trip pictures that there appears to be ashtrays in their Parlor Car? Do they allow smoking on the VIA trains?

I've given much thought of the Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver. However, I've heard many say that the best scenery is in the West ( Rockies area)! I've heard that conentrating on shorter routes out of Vancouver is the way to go??? Any Input Out There???

Thanx

Not to say that the rest is uninteresting, and there are other things to do besides/including peering out the window.

I found that the majority of the sleeper passengers were not from Canada or the US, but from Europe & Australia/NZ.

Canada Trip

I notice in your Canada Trip pictures that there appears to be ashtrays in their Parlor Car? Do they allow smoking on the VIA trains?
No, smoking is not allowed on VIA.

Thanx

Canada Trip
Guest Irv, great shots. Thanks for sharing.

One little terminology detail.

The last car on the train is called the Park Car, not a parlour car. It was listed in the original 1955 timtables as a Dome Observation Lounge Sleeper. Now, that is quite a mouthful, but inasmuch as all 18 of those cars were named after parks, it quickly developed, well before VIA, to just call them "park cars." The word 'observation" referred to the tapered rear end of the car.

A parlor car, though, was a reserved revenue (meaning ticket revenue,not food,drinks revenue) car, fancier than a coach, used for daytime use. Amtrak no longer uses the word that way but a close approximation today to a parlor car would be first class on Acela.Not sure about other newer trains in Canada.

A parlor car was like a coach or sleeper or slumbercoach in that it was where you "lived". As opposed to where you "visited" like a diner, a lounge car, a dome car or an observation car.

As for Amtrak using the word Pacific Parlor car, well that is something of poetic license and a neat sounding alliteration. It is fine with me.

OH YES, jumping ahead to another post, that gizmo which looks like it might be an ashtray is today used to hold your drinks. And, I think, in the past something like it did serve as an ashtray.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back