Raleigh - Portland Oregon

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pete

Hello Everyone,

Can anyone help me with survival strategies for Raleigh,NC to Portland,Or on Amtrak without a sleeper unit? I sleep only 4-5 hours per night anyway and I can sleep virtually anywhere.

This is my first train adventure so I am definitely a novice on the whole experience.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions that I receive,

Pete

Pete,

1st off Welcome to the World of Train Travel

Here are some Tips Note I have never slept in Coach

1. Bring a Pillow and a Blanket

2. Have some sleeping pills handly

3. See if you can get 2 seats along in Summer that is very hard on several routes

4. Have Fun.

Seeing you dont sleep much, and you can sleep almost anywhere you shouldnt have a problem. The seats on amtrak are wider then ones on buses and planes. Try to get a window seat, and bring some snacks.

Thanks much for the feedback! Do the seats recline as much as the

seats on airplanes?

How full do you think the trains are between now and Memorial Day?

Thanks again,

Pete :)

They recline more than the seats on an airplane, and there's more room between rows too.

The Memorial Day weekend should see some increased ridership, but I don't think that the trains will be packed either.

You might also wish to check out these hints and tips for the first time rider, from OTOL.

Alan,

Thank you very much! The travel tips were exactly what I was looking for!

Best wishes,

Pete

You're welcome Pete. :)

If you have any questions that aren't answered there, come on back and let us know. Someone here most likely knows the answer. )

I've mentioned this before and it's a trick I've used alot. If you happen to get lucky on a car that isn't crowded and you have the two seats to yourself, lay across the two seats as if you were sleeping at station stops. People tend to leave sleeping passengers alone and you'll get to keep the two seats. Of course, if the car gets crowded, you won't be able to do it.

Even if you can't to that, as already mentioned, there is alot of room. If you get a window seat, you can lean your pillow against it and I've found it comfortable.

Also, make sure you take advantage of the lounge/observation car as much as possible.

Have a great trip.

I would however discourage the action rile discussed if your train is booked solid, you're going to be having to give up that seat regardless. If your train assigns seats (as many long distance trains do) you won't have a choice if the seat next to you is occupied or not.

[i would however discourage the action rile discussed if your train is booked solid, you're going to be having to give up that seat regardless.]

I thought I made that point clear.

Thanks again for the feedback. If sleeper units are available are they usually discounted from the standard price? If so what percentage discount would one expect to get?

Great site!

Pete

rile42 said:
I thought I made that point clear.
Not really. Your earlier post said that one would not be able to do it, implying that one might attempt to do it, but not get away with it. Mr. Alan is recommending that it not even be attempted, if the train is full. In other words, if one sees that the train is full, spare the crew the ordeal of having to "awaken" the double-seated passenger.

[Of course, if the car gets crowded, you won't be able to do it.]

I'll try to be more exact in my syntax while posting. To me, "you won't be able to do it" implies not doing it. Of course, after teaching for 30 years I should have known there are people that need to be told exactly how to act.

In fact, I also implied that it shouldn't be done as the car gets "crowded". The intention there is to sit up, not when the car is full as suggested, but as the car starts to get crowded.

I hope it is exactly clear now what was meant by a simple 14 word sentence. In the future I'll consult an expert on sentence wording and structure before posting.

C'mon now...let's get back on topic here.

I followed a suggestion once to bring eye covers and ear plugs. Although, I felt somewhat vulnerable being that my vision and hearing were restricted, I will say that I rested much better.

Does not apply as much to coach travel, but a long rule for sleepers (or overnight in hotels) has been to be sure to have duct tape and (maybe) WD-40. This was originally explained to me as the WD-40 for what doesn't move and should and the tape for what moves and shouldn't. The tape in particular has helped close curtains that didn't, parts that rattled and anytrhing that ripped.

Back