Railpass question - is sleeper possible?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

George K

Conductor
If I buy a 15 day (8 segment) Railpass, is it possible to book sleepers on the segments?

For example, if I wanted to go CHI to SEA, with a stopover at Glacier, that round trip would be 4 segments. However, I'd really like a sleeper on those segments, particularly at my advanced age.

Doable? How do you book it?

I did this last year on a 10 day around the country trip Lat ApriI. I used all 8 segments and had 4 in rom rooms and 4 in coach. Just call and talk to to a customer service agent and tell them what you want to do. Not sure if it still applies but I got paper tickets that were pulled by the conductors for everything. You get the "stubs" back. You also need to keep the actual rail pass with you.

The only "problem" that I had was the agent has trouble getting the tickets to print. I don't really know what the issue was but I spent quite a while waiting for them(over 45 minutes). The lead agent finally was able to do it along with help from someone on the phone. It was good that I got to the station early, because I finally got the tickets printed only about 7 minutes before my first train left. It was a regional from New Haven. It was a great trip.

FYI, I even had an upgrade that I got arranged while on the train. Since I could not get a physical ticket since I was on the train, that upgrade room was scanned in by the conductor from my iPhone. The physical ticket had already been printed for the leg and I had the stub. I did it that way because the roomette was very expensive when I booked and bought the tickets, but while on the train, I saw a really good price show up on my Amtrak app for a room a couple of stations "down the road" to the end, so I called while on the the train and bought it. It worked out well. I just asked nicely and got it.

I think, broadly speaking, that when you buy a railpass, it is treated much as a "low bucket" coach fare, so you can just call or visit the station and upgrade whichever segments you require to sleeper, and pay for those accordingly.

You do need to make seat reservations anyway, you can't just turn up clutching your railpass.

Ed. :cool:

It may be easier if not cheaper to use Amtrak Guest Reward points for the segments that you want a roomette for.

I took quite a few Rail Pass trips starting in October 2001 with a North America Rail Pass (30 days US and Canada).

Some nights were uncomfortable but I have built up my AGR account to the point that I have taken 3 trips in roomettes on points.

I have seen coach passengers ask the Conductor if there are any empty sleepers and pay for them. They move to the sleeper at the next station stop.

If you rent cars or do some online shopping you can earn quite a few points before your trip. I bought a refrigerator and a dryer from Sears at 3 points/$ which helped in earning points before I bought the points

to top off the 40K points I needed for the 2 two zone roomettes.

I think I was able to make rail pass reservations at the counter in Chicago, but that probably was for the old style "unlimited segments" pass.

Amtrak website states that the pass must be bought from their website, or a travel agent with links, and that reservations have to be made by calling an agent.

Overseas purchasers buy online too, but can arrange reservations by email or phone.

Naturally, you have to trek to a manned station to pick up the paperwork, even if they won't sell you the tickets there...

Gotta love that "joined up" Amtrak jive!

Ed. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back