Railfaninning in NY & NJ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
Hey all, I'm going to be going to New York in a month or so and I'm going to have some spare time to go snap some shots. I'm thinking about trying to take some shots at 9th Ave & 33rd St. Has anyone tried this spot before? Also, is there a spot in Northern New Jersey (like an NJT station or near one) where you can get shots of Amtrak rolling at speed? Thanks guys!

Athough I've never been there and can't verify, I've heard Elizabeth is supposed to be quite good. It might be a little harder to get to since not all NJT trains stop there.

Athough I've never been there and can't verify, I've heard Elizabeth is supposed to be quite good. It might be a little harder to get to since not all NJT trains stop there.
Elizabeth is fine for train watching, although you have to be a bit aware of your surroundings.

However the biggest problem with Elizabeth is that there are interlockings there, so you won't catch Acela's at track speed there.

As a follow up question, does anyone have any good spots in Eastern Connecticut (preferably near New Haven) to catch trains?

As a follow up question, does anyone have any good spots in Eastern Connecticut (preferably near New Haven) to catch trains?
My favorite spot would be in New London, just west of the Train station, on a hill there are nice restaurants and bars from which one can catch the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back