Rail travel observations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SUTTONK11

Train Attendant
Having recently completed a trip around the country by rail on the Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Coast Starlight, Southwest Chief and the Cardinal, I offer my commentary on train travel:

There is no better way to see this country than by train. Rail travel truly exhibits the best and the worst these United States have to offer - gorgeous landscapes briefly interupted by a field of rusted vehicles or a stove discarded beside the tracks for some unknown reason. Beautiful rivers, colorful canyons, vast prairies and farms with an occassional trash dump or trailerpark thrown in to bring you back to reality. The absolute backyard of small town America and the guts of the big cities are laid out for everyone via rail. While the scenery from the train displays the best and the worst the U.S. has to offer, the actual train shows you the best, worst and everything in between as far as the human race has to offer - unbelievably interesting and totally disgusting separated by minutes.

I used to say that, if I had the money, I would send my sons to spend a month each in New Orleans, New York City and San Francisco because they would get a well rounded feel for the country in which they live; well, you can put that idea to rest because I'm sending them around the country on Amtrak!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back