Rail Runner hits parked car on tracks...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
probably would not have been as good results had it been in push mode.
This is a highly questionable statement. The derailment in Los Angeles was an extremely unusual "What could go wrong did go wrong" situation. Even in push mode you still have a 40 plus ton vehicle hitting a 2 ton vehicle. Likely outcome: 2 ton vehicle scrap, 40 ton vehicle, a few dents.

This is a highly questionable statement. The derailment in Los Angeles was an extremely unusual "What could go wrong did go wrong" situation. Even in push mode you still have a 40 plus ton vehicle hitting a 2 ton vehicle. Likely outcome: 2 ton vehicle scrap, 40 ton vehicle, a few dents.
I am willing to bet the Rail Runner equipment would have sustained quite a bit more damage in push mode. The cab cars are not near has hefty as the locomotive. I am not saying the train would derail or people killed, I am just saying the equipment would have been in worse shape.

I am willing to bet the Rail Runner equipment would have sustained quite a bit more damage in push mode. The cab cars are not near has hefty as the locomotive. I am not saying the train would derail or people killed, I am just saying the equipment would have been in worse shape.
They...hit...a...CAR!

From the KRQE article:

The car, a Mitsubishi Galant, was split in half during the crash. Nobody was inside.
The train was barely damaged, and nobody on board was hurt.

The commuter train was traveling south at 75 miles per hour when it hit the car at Second Street and McCathran Road,...

The car was stolen, and deputies said it was placed on the tracks between the 5:30 a.m. train and when it was struck at 7 a.m.
The Galant is a "mid size" car. To restate but slightly differently what I said before and the pictures show, outcome: car: scrap. train, whether coach or engine, a few dents.

It seems like the area that this occurred in was fairly remote. If no one went over that crossing, then no one would know to report it. It was definitely to cover up evidence, so I'm guessing the criminal isn't dumb enough to leave it in a major urban area where thousands would have gone past it.

Back