Rail Passes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caravanman

Engineer
In the past I booked regular tickets via the Amtrak inernet site, If I buy a "foreign tourist" rail pass here in the UK, how would I book the actual trains and sleepers? It sounds as if I have to phone Amtrak, which might be expensive from here?

Ed B)

I've obviously never had a reason to try, since I'm not eligable for that pass. However, my understanding is that you would need to go to a travel agent over there in England to buy the pass. That same agent could then book your travel for you.

Not sure if by the time you get done with that, whether it would be any cheaper for you.

If you didn't want sleepers and were just riding coach, then I'd tell you to buy the pass and just wait till you get to the US to try and book the various trains. But with sleepers in the mix, that might not work, as the train's that you may want and need could be sold out by that time.

Amtrak's website identifies these agencies in the UK that can sell you an international traveller rail pass:

United Kingdom
(Additional sales locations available throughout the U.K. Check with your local travel agent.)

Destination Marketing Limited

Molasses House,

Plantation Wharf, London

Telephone: (0171) 253-9009

Trailfinders

215 Kensington High Street, London

Telephone: (020) 7938 3939

+ 12 locations, call for information

The Travel Bureau

The Cottage, High Street, Wombourne

West Midlands WV5 9DN

Telephone: (0800) 698 7545

14 Greville Street

London EC1N 85B

(0207) 400 7000
Only problem is, as you've noted, this is half the equation. The Amtrak website claims these agencies should be able to get your tickets for you before you leave. I suppose, but cannot tell you for sure, this would include sleeping car reservations.

Thanks for the info. I have contacted "Trailfinders", they have recently opened an office here in Nottingham, quite surprisingly, and they seem to know what they are talking about. They confirm that I can let them know what sleepers, etc I want to book and they can do it at Amtrak online prices, which is good to know. Now, lets see, did I make up my mind yet,

quite where to go...?

Ed. B)

Have you thought about how long you wish to stay in the USA?

That will probably determine what trains you will ride.

Yes, I posted this question without the full info here! This relates to my posting about the "whistle stop tour" on this forum. (2 weeks in Jan. 2005)

Thanks again for all your help.

Ed. B)

According to Amtrak and a previous poster, yes.

See up the thread for the ticket agencies in the UK.

Back