rail pass

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greg1956a

Train Attendant
I would like to know how much they cost.Last year I went from to Phila to LA and back .This time would like to take NY-Chicago then Chicago to Emeryville Emeryville to LA LA to NO and NO to NY .if I were to get the rail pass would I have to pay for my other connections I don't k jkw his the rail passworkand would it work forms

Thanks

The 15 day railpass is 8 segments for $450.00. That would cover your trip time and price wise

Last edited by a moderator:
The 15 day railpass is $449. With the 2 extra segments you could ride the bus over from EMY to San Francisco and the bus from San Francisco to Jack London to catch the southbound CS to Los Angeles.

If you wanted to spend more time anywhere, the 30 day pass is $679.

The 15 day rail pass is the way I always travel. As long as you end your 8th segment by midnight on the 15th day you are good. What you have listed is only 5 segments, leaving you 3 segments to even run down to San Diego or out to San Francisco. I am traveling WOR to CHI, CHI to WAS, WAS to ORL, ORL to NYP, NYP to CHI, CHI to DEN, (DEN to PDX on points), PDX to CHI, CHI to WOR. All within the 15 days and staying in Portland 3 days.

If you want to continue using your segments for big miles you can buy short bus or train rides for cash. My last rail pass I bought MKE-CHI $20 and FNO-SLO $16

A shuttle bus from EMY to one of the San Fran bus stops counts as an extra segment?
Yes, if you don't want to pay for it.

Anytime you get on and off a train, either to make a connection to another train or a bus, both parts of the connection are a segment. So the example you gave, the CZ would be one segment, you would get off in EMY and board the bus which would be a second segment.

The important thing to remember with the railpass is that each "segment" is not between two stations, but each time you get on and off a train or connecting bus, that uses up one segment. As you are buying 8 segments on the railpass, they cost you around $62 each, so any short connecting single ride that costs far less than $62 may be worth paying for seperatly, and use the segments for longer rides. ( I am just repeating all the good info posted above in a different way, I know..!)

Ed :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back