Rail fans mini meet-up in Chennai, India.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caravanman

Engineer
Hi Folks,

A pic from my meeting with Indian rail fans in Chennai, yesterday evening.

1613853_10153665299604120_4025303729439388945_n.jpg

The blog continues at: http://www.indiamike.com/india/journal.php?do=showjournal&j=9707

Next train is tomorrow, 23 Oct from Chennai to Goa.

Cheers,

Ed :cool:

Hi Jim-Bob, :)

Dunno about all being wise men, there is one there who is fairly unwise!

Thinking of winding the trip down soon, time has flown by. Next stop Goa for a rest... may go home after that.

Cheers,

Ed. :cool:

Ed, in your blog you mentioned you noticed a fairly in-use looking narrow gauge track near Nagpur. That is a part of an elaborate narrow gauge network running across the heart of central India that is to become history soon as it all gets converted to Broad Gauge. A bunch of Indian rail fans went on a trip recently to exhaustively document this part of history and you can see some amazing photos here-

http://www.irfca.org/gallery/openline/Satpura15/

Hi,

Texas Eagle,

Thanks for the feedback on the narrow gauge tracks. I do like the nostalgic "little lines" as a railfan, but I can see that the local everyday rail users deserve to travel in comfortable modern trains too.

The photo's in your link are very good indeed, it is so important to have a proper visual record.

Jim, I have found a great alternative to chasing wild geese for Xmas dinner:

tinner.jpg

Wishing you all an indigestion free festive season !

Ed :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Ed

Hope you're feeling better, it can happen to the best of us.

Isn't it funny how you know when a trip is over and sometimes it has nothing to do with the time you plan to travel. Your body/mind lets you know you can either continue for ever or call it a day. Very much enjoyed your India trip report, it must be hard at times with so much going on and no let up though.

What's your next plan?

Sorry I'll be late, mate. I'll be riding from Tiruchirappalli to Chennai via Tanjore and Villuparam Junction (Pondicherry) next June :)

Heading off now to bring myself up to date with your latest blog posts.

Hi,

Thanks all for the good wishes.

I am pleased to say that I am already feeling almost back to my old self... probably the more precise targeted antibiotics are doing the trick for me.

Quite satisfied with my visit to India, and happy to be home at this point too.

I would like to write a little more about my trip soon while the thoughts are still fresh, will pop a note on here when that is done.

Cheers,

Ed. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back