QuikTrak Problems?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a newbie to this forum, but have enjoyed lurking from time to time. This morning, I purchased tickets online for my third Amtrak long distance trip and then drove down to the station to pick them up from the QuikTrak machine. (There's no live ticket agent during the day at our station.) Last year when I got my tickets, the QuikTrak was fine and I was favorably impressed with it. Today, it spit out the first of four tickets and then the screen displayed "Out of Service." It completely ceased to respond. Called Amtrak customer service for advice, and their records showed that the tickets had been printed. The rep believed the tickets were stuck in the machine and that I should come back when the live agent was there (early evening). OK... time passed.... Ticket agent reported for duty and opened the machine. No tickets. However, he did go ahead and print them out for me at the ticket desk, so all's well that ends well.

I've been married to a UP engineer for over 30 years, so I know it's rare indeed to have a railroad trip where nothing goes wrong. Mishaps of various sorts are part of the adventure of riding Amtrak, so I'm not complaining. However, I am curious as to whether or not there are frequent problems with the QuikTrak machines or if this was just a freak incident. I don't think I want to trust it again, but am interested in your experiences with the machine. Thanks.

members on this forum swear up and down that you should use the QT machine and get your tickets the day your train arrives. but what if the above happens. no live ticket agent during the day and the machine is down and your train is 1 hour away. can the phone agents contact the conductor of train and change it to pickup on board. and FYI NOT ALL stations have more then one machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used QuikTrak machines quite a few times (mostly in Milwaukee, but also at a few other stations) and never had a problem. I have seen them out of service at times, but haven't ever noticed a problem like yours. I would guess it was just a fluke.

I do share amtrakwolverine's concerns, though. Luckily "my" station is staffed, so if there is a problem I can just go to the ticket agent, but if I were picking up tickets and boarding at an unstaffed station (or unstaffed during the time in question) I might be a little leery of waiting until near departure time to print my tickets at the QuikTrak macine.

It is only a machine. I use the ones in FTW and DAL when the line is long and I do not want to wait.

just remember: Using a Live Agent = Job Security.

Given the possibility of QT malfunctions, it IS a good thing that Amtrak prints your name on your ticket and requires ID at boarding. For a while I was concerned that my stuck tickets would fall into someone else's hands, but then realized that they'd be pretty useless to anyone else. They can't be cashed in, and so far, I've never boarded a train without having to show ID. How much of a disaster would it be if the machine failed at an unmanned station on the day of travel? Can tickets be bought from the attendants upon boarding?

It's good that they were able to reprint some of the tickets, although the technical goof appears to be on their end.

In my experience, tickets generally can't be purchased from the conductor on board ... unless one has made a reservation beforehand and was departing from a station with no on-duty agent. Once before, I've called 1-800-USA-RAIL and booked a reservation shortly before the train was due to arrive at my station. I had my reservation information and gave it along with payment to the conductor, who then issued me a ticket.

Some trains will sell tickets on board (such as some corridor trains, including Capitol Corridor), but I wouldn't guarantee it.

members on this forum swear up and down that you should use the QT machine and get your tickets the day your train arrives. but what if the above happens. no live ticket agent during the day and the machine is down and your train is 1 hour away. can the phone agents contact the conductor of train and change it to pickup on board. and FYI NOT ALL stations have more then one machine.
In this case, I am pretty sure there would have been a ticket agent on duty at the times when trains are arriving/departing. The OP said they were picking up when it was not staffed which typically means no trains coming/going.

I would not use the words "swear up and down" but I have been someone who has liked and suggested the idea of not picking up tickets until the day of travel. However, I do not remember anyone specifically saying you should do this only with a QT machine. Personally, I would be a little nervous counting on a QT machine if there was not station agent.

I've used the QT machine at the station nearest me, Spokane, without a problem. In my case I've taken several trips that didn't originate in Spokane and the station is staffed at oddball hours--10 PM to 5:30 AM--so it's convenient for me to pick up my tickets during the day. I make sure to do that a day or so before I travel so that if something is wrong with the QT machine I can still get tickets from the agent there. I think I'd be nervous, too, if Spokane was an unstaffed station.

With one exception, QT machines have worked 100% perfectly for me. That one exception was at the beginning of a CRT-Toronto trip on the Maple Leaf with my father, who had never traveled on Amtrak before and couldn't remember if he had ever stepped foot on something other than a commuter rail train. The machine went to print the tickets, then displayed an error. CRT is an unstaffed station. We called Amtrak and they said we'd have to purchase new tickets on board and then get a refund on them later. Not a great start to the trip.

We weren't the only customers affected, and it turns out that the conductor wasn't able to sell us tickets on board because we were headed to an international destination. He originally told us that we'd have to run into the station during the Albany engine change and get new tickets, but then ended up calling ahead to another station and having them reprint the tickets for us. The agent ran them out to the train when it arrived, and we proceeded happily on our way.

I'd have to guess that this error occurs because the QT machine runs out of ticket stock. I could be wrong, but having worked around similar machines during my airline days, I'd bet that's what is going on.

the only problem I've head with the QT machines is with their bar code scanners on the printed at home tickets. I've gone back to using the credit card method of picking up tickets.

Given the possibility of QT malfunctions, it IS a good thing that Amtrak prints your name on your ticket and requires ID at boarding. For a while I was concerned that my stuck tickets would fall into someone else's hands, but then realized that they'd be pretty useless to anyone else. They can't be cashed in, and so far, I've never boarded a train without having to show ID. How much of a disaster would it be if the machine failed at an unmanned station on the day of travel? Can tickets be bought from the attendants upon boarding?
Actually that's not correct. Amtrak in fact tells you to treat your tickets as though they were cash.

While I personally wouldn't chance it, the odds are in one's favor that they can indeed board the train with your tickets and ride to their destination without ever being asked for ID. I think that I've had to show ID on board a train maybe 4 or 5 times over the years and I've taken hundreds of rides.

Now if someone found your tickets and tried to cash them in at ticket window, the reality is that they should be stopped as the agent is supposed to ask for photo ID at that point. But if they know the drill, and assuming that you happened to have paid cash, they can mail the tickets into Amtrak and ask for a full refund. Amtrak will then mail out a check to them. Granted the check will be in your name, but if they've gone this far, they won't have any trouble forging your name on the check. If you paid by credit card, well then Amtrak would just issue credit back to your card.

the only problem I've head with the QT machines is with their bar code scanners on the printed at home tickets. I've gone back to using the credit card method of picking up tickets.
Use your AGR member card instead, it's much better. That will display all reservations made using your AGR number. That includes AGR awards, as well as reservations made using any one of your credit cards.

I have not used my credit card or bar code to pull a ticket from QT since AGR cards were allowed as method of obtaining ticket. Even worse I do not even write down res numbers for my tips in NE.

having a live agent rarely provides added value for the average ticket buyer (same for airlines). i always choose the *consistent experience* of the quiktrak machine. for cancellations, i prefer amtrak.com. i've never had a situation that one of those two methods couldn't handle.

Use your AGR member card instead, it's much better. That will display all reservations made using your AGR number. That includes AGR awards, as well as reservations made using any one of your credit cards.
I had no idea that you could do that. Yet another thing that I've learned about Amtrak this weekend! :)

Having just completed another points run on the CC today it's funny that I seem to always get the same crews on the same trains. I'm afraid that's going to blow my cover! :ph34r: :lol:

Anyway, there has only been one crew (conductor, asst. conductor) that insists on seeing my ID AND having me sign my QT ticket. All the others just say "where ya headed?" as they tear the stub from my ticket and write me a seat check. That 'policy crew' is also the only ones that use the hole punch thingy on both parts of the ticket.

understand where im coming from. my station is ROY and it only has 1 QT machine and is a unstaffed station. if i wait untill 1 hour before departure(when i show up) to print my tickets and the machine is broken or a power outtage then what. is 1 hour enough for a phone agent to change it to pickup on board. is that even possible. the next staffed station is 30 minutes away by train.

Anyway, there has only been one crew (conductor, asst. conductor) that insists on seeing my ID AND having me sign my QT ticket. All the others just say "where ya headed?" as they tear the stub from my ticket and write me a seat check. That 'policy crew' is also the only ones that use the hole punch thingy on both parts of the ticket.
Any ticket paid for by credit card must be signed. That's the rule.

If you paid cash, by debit card, or if it is an AGR award ticket then you do not need to sign the ticket.

You sign the ticket only because Amtrak wants your signature that you agree to pay for the charge on your credit card. It's not a security thing, it's a money thing.

understand where im coming from. my station is ROY and it only has 1 QT machine and is a unstaffed station. if i wait untill 1 hour before departure(when i show up) to print my tickets and the machine is broken or a power outtage then what. is 1 hour enough for a phone agent to change it to pickup on board. is that even possible. the next staffed station is 30 minutes away by train.
I personally think you are wise to pick up your tickets early. If I were in your situation, I sure would.

My only contention is what you said about "members on this forum swear up and down that you should use the QT machine and get your tickets the day your train arrives."

Just saying I do not recall anyone saying that. Yes, people (including myself) have recommended to people not pick up tickets until the day of travel, but never, that I recall, saying to specifically using a QT machine.

Any ticket paid for by credit card must be signed. That's the rule.

If you paid cash, by debit card, or if it is an AGR award ticket then you do not need to sign the ticket.

You sign the ticket only because Amtrak wants your signature that you agree to pay for the charge on your credit card. It's not a security thing, it's a money thing.
I have absolutely no problem complying with anything that the conductor requests of me (as long as they provide a pen :) ). I just find it odd that it seems to be the exception rather than the rule on the CC.

You raise several issues here. I travel long distance a fair amount and in my four years on train travel have only been asked for picture ID once or twice when boarding. I have always been asked for ID when having a ticket agent print tickets for me (not using QT those times).

Once in Chicago I thought I had misplaced my high value sleeper bedroom coupon. I talked to Amtrak by phone and and was told that I would have to puchase a new ticket, and if the old ticket remained unredeemed for a year I would get the first fare reimbursed. Luckily, I found the ticket in my luggage shortly thereafter, and did not have to go through the repurchase process. I had debated with the agent on the phone that if someone attempted to travel on the scheduled date (checking in without ID), I would know if someone else was in my room. I also said that someone wanting to change the ticket would be asked for ID, so no risk existed there, and since the ticket was paid for by credit card, any refund requested would be by credit card. Did not make any difference. Again, I came out fine.

Your situation was a little, but not exactly like a problem that I had with an ATM. I did a $300 cash advance on an ATM and after approval, a message came up on the screen that the machine was out of cash. The receipt came out saying transaction cancelled, but when I got home, the website for my checking account bank showed the $300 charge. I talked to the ATM machine company operator the next Monday and they said that the debit from my account should reverse. Luckily in a few days, it did. I am glad that I did not have to prove a negative.

The only advice I would have would be if there is a security guard on premises (as there is even during the hours my local Amtrak station is closed before it opens at 10:00 PM), if the QT malfunctioned, I would ask the guard to obesrve the error message and write up an incident report. I think that you were fortunate to have Amtrak reissue a ticket they said already printed.

Yes, people (including myself) have recommended to people not pick up tickets until the day of travel, but never, that I recall, saying to specifically using a QT machine.
Just curious. What is the reason for waiting until the day of travel to get your tickets?

The only advice I would have would be if there is a security guard on premises (as there is even during the hours my local Amtrak station is closed before it opens at 10:00 PM), if the QT malfunctioned, I would ask the guard to obesrve the error message and write up an incident report. I think that you were fortunate to have Amtrak reissue a ticket they said already printed.
That's interesting. Actually, because I have a hearing impairment and can't use the phone, I asked the security guard to call customer service for me to report the situation and ask for advice. Perhaps that was a nice piece of luck. He didn't fill out an incident report, but did identify himself as the guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back