Quickie Trip - KC to CHI

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciship

Service Attendant
Had to run up to Chicago for a couple of days. Didn't want to drive. I've taken this trip before and the Chief is usually late coming in to Kansas City. I watched the time status on the Chief for a little over a week and it was running 4 or 5 hours late DAILY. I'm used to the Chief being an hour or so off time, but not 4 or more hours!

I was introducing Amtrak to two friends. Had to talk them in to it, so I really REALLY wanted the train to be somewhat on time.

The day before we departed KC, the Chief was 8 hours late. Ridiculous.........not sure what the heck was going on.

We arrived at 7:15 a.m. the day of departure and I had been monitoring the Chief from LAX for the past couple of days. So far, the Chief was actually on time. Couldn't believe it. What luck!

We boarded in KC virtually on time and was assigned our coach seats. We were able to get seats across from each other and I was blessed the whole 8 hour trip to have the two seats to myself with my friends across the aisle.

My friends were excited on this first trip with Amtrak. I took them on a tour of the train. They really wanted to see the sleepers, but we didn't get past the dining room before we were stopped. The dining room attendant was polite about not allowing us to pass.....but, we were bummed that they couldn't take a peek.

The Chief by the way was a mess. I know it was on it's last leg coming across the country from LAX, but there was trash everywhere (diapers, paper towels, rags, empty water bottles, etc ) in the aisles. Just ewwwwww. Quite stinky in coach as well.

I took the newbies down to the cafe car. There was hardly anything left to sell to eat (good thing we brought snacks) and the cafe attendant was Mr. Grouchy. He seemed bothered by our presense. I told the newbies that sometimes you get a fun, upbeat cafe attendant and sometimes you don't.

We arrived Chicago on time----fantastic! What more could you ask for!

The newbies wanted to see what it would cost to have a sleeper room on the return trip. I always take coach on a short trip like this, but wasn't going to complain if they were willing to pay for it.

Went to the Chicago ticket counter upon arrival and they were very friendly and helpful. We ended up getting a bedroom for 3 adults for only $246 extra. I was tickled because I've always been in the roomettes.....but, never a bedroom.

Fast forward to our return to Kansas City a couple of days later.

Checked in at the metropolitan lounge. Front desk courteous and efficient. Bell hop who stored our bags was very friendly. Metro lounge was pretty much empty. Clean and organized.

We had a couple of hours before departure, so we walked down to Lou Mitchells for lunch (had heard so much about this place from these forums). It's an interesting place and I'm glad I went....but, I probably won't return. It was loud and my BLT was flavorless with very little bacon. My fries were limpy, flavorless, and oily. The newbies had pot roast with noodles and tilapia. They said they were good, but not great. Nice waitress.

Blessed again with our train on time in Chicago. The metro attendant who walked us down the platform was very friendly and upbeat (love that!). The car attendant who checked us in was very official and straight faced. Not very friendly (but later on warmed up a bit).

I had seen the bedrooms before of course so I knew what to expect. The newbies I think were thinking a bedroom meant "A BEDROOM" and didn't realize how small it would be. I was totally happy. After their initial disappointment, they really enjoyed the ride and were glad that they got the "bedroom" for the ride back.

We had dinner in the dining car of course. We all three had steak. SO GOOD! Just amazes me how they can cook such a flavorful, tender steak. Salad and baked potato fresh and yummy too! Our dining attendant (I think his name was Lonnie) was friendly and even sat down across from us at one point and asked us about our time in Chicago. Very nice and we tipped him big time!

Very pleased overall........especially with both legs of the trip being virtually on time (I know not to get used to this).

The newbies have already booked another trip on Amtrak........Yay!

Happy you had a great time, ontime trains, and decent attendants. Looks like you have recruited two new members of the "I like to ride trains society".

Too bad the coaches were a mess on the eastbound trip. An embarrassment to Amtrak to allow a car to be a smelly trash bin. :(

And now that you have been in a bedroom, you will be spoiled for life :p

Back