Quick sample of 'Metroliner' service..

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stonesfan

Service Attendant
Hi chaps

Had a few hours to kill before a flight from Boston to Atlanta, so decided to have a quick thrash down to Providence and back, hopefully scoop in a couple of 'Toasters' and sample for the first time the quality of service that the Metroliner provides.

The only 'move' on though, was the 1105 to Providence arriving 1146, then the 1149 return to Boston. So a +3 connection certainly a 'man of steel' move considering I had a flight to catch! So far so good, as the 1105 produced an AEM-7 at the sharp end. Interior of the Amfleet wasnt the greatest, with seat cushions loose, a rather odd smell, and plenty of rattles here and there. Riding at speed though pretty good. Arrival at Providence was on time, then a quick leap (fully laden with luggage, sorry, if that was you I nearly knocked over on the staircase!) over the footbridge to opposite platform to be greated by the arriving 1149. Must have been my lucky day as another AEM-7 produced. The amfleet was in far better condition, no interior rattles, clean, and very smooth riding. Arrival at Boston was on time.

Comparisons with the average Intercity service in the UK??

Certainly more legroom and more comfortable seating.

Seems, that the quality of coach can vary, although this is the case in the UK too.

Staff onboard were more friendly.

Interior rather dingy, although this can be quite relaxing when compared with the bright and garish UK interiors.

Business class seats far superior to 1st class in the UK.

No table seats facing each other though.

Overally, reasonably impressed, although I would have thought a refurb may be needed in the near future.

Out of interest, does anyone know what the line speeds are between Boston and Providence for the Amfleets? Seemed to be around 110-125?

Cheers

Well what you were on wasn't Metroliner service, that was the limited service train that ran from WAS-NYP from the late 60's through the middle part of the decade. You were actually on a Northeast Regional. These trains have a top speed of 125 MPH, and are primarily powered by AEM-7's. The AEM-7 is interchangeable with the HHP-8. There are about 50 AEM-7s while only 15 HHP-8s. The Amfleet fleet is somewhat of a grab bag. There's a large number of cars in various states of repair and upgrade. It really can be luck of the draw sometimes. The premier service these days is the Acela which has a top speed of 150. Acela is what replaced Metroliner service.

Well what you were on wasn't Metroliner service, that was the limited service train that ran from WAS-NYP from the late 60's through the middle part of the decade. You were actually on a Northeast Regional. These trains have a top speed of 125 MPH, and are primarily powered by AEM-7's. The AEM-7 is interchangeable with the HHP-8. There are about 50 AEM-7s while only 15 HHP-8s. The Amfleet fleet is somewhat of a grab bag. There's a large number of cars in various states of repair and upgrade. It really can be luck of the draw sometimes. The premier service these days is the Acela which has a top speed of 150. Acela is what replaced Metroliner service.
Thanks for the clarification here. Indeed Northeast regional.

Am in Boston again on Monday with a few hours to kill, so will sample the Acela this time around, hopefully without the rather tight connection!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the clarification here. Indeed Northeast regional.
Am in Boston again on Monday with a few hours to kill, so will sample the Acela this time around, hopefully without the rather tight connection!
I found the Acela 'Business Class' was better than UK first class (mainly in terms of how much room you have at your seat).

You will find the Acela WAAAY nicer then the Regional. The seats are very nice and comforable. And FAST esp from Boston going to providence you will hit 150 MPH which is as good as it gets here in America

You will find the Acela WAAAY nicer then the Regional. The seats are very nice and comforable. And FAST esp from Boston going to providence you will hit 150 MPH which is as good as it gets here in America

We had our first Acela trip last week. Amtrak graciously put us on the Acela from Baltimore to Boston when a water main break caused delays and cancellations.

We were pleased with the size and brightness of the Acela interior- and the efficiency. The food cart was an added bonus. The only thing we missed was having plenty of seats in the cafe car. We had just been on the Silver Meteor where there were plenty of cafe seats.

We had our first Acela trip last week. Amtrak graciously put us on the Acela from Baltimore to Boston when a water main break caused delays and cancellations.

We were pleased with the size and brightness of the Acela interior- and the efficiency. The food cart was an added bonus. The only thing we missed was having plenty of seats in the cafe car. We had just been on the Silver Meteor where there were plenty of cafe seats.
I agree the "Bistro" style stools just dont well. Honestly I didn't wanna sit there. I just dont see my self braced well enough if they hit the brakes.

I agree the "Bistro" style stools just dont well. Honestly I didn't wanna sit there. I just dont see my self braced well enough if they hit the brakes.
Yes, we thought they were unsubstantial and don't know why they have them!

Well Acela's goal is to attract the business traveler so they broke away from tables and created Cafe Bistro. Good selection just have to take it back to your seat.

Well Acela's goal is to attract the business traveler so they broke away from tables and created Cafe Bistro. Good selection just have to take it back to your seat.
I actually heard that they put in stools instead of seats purposely to discourage sitting in the car (supposedly there's even a 15 minute sitting limit in the car). This makes it less crowded in the car during busy times of the day when the train is packed. If you've ever been in a Northeast Regional cafe during rush hour or any other busy time, you'll know how packed they can get. I've personally seen lines in those cars that extend to the vestibules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back