Quick Keystone commutation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Septa9739

Lead Service Attendant
Monday 6/19 I had to make a quick business trip out to Downingtown, PA from Philadelphia. Ordinarily, like most cheapskates, I would take SEPTA, but I had to arrive well before the first SEPTA train did, so, arm being badly twisted, I had to take Amtrak (shucks, I hate when I have to take the nicer, faster train). Outbound trip was aboard 605 departing PHL at 6:20. SEPTA transit division connections were punctual, and unusually clean. Train 605 was absolutely empty, maybe 5% full. Maybe state employees off for Juneteenth? I hope that isn’t normal. Crews were professional and service was punctual, despite an unusual stop just short of Villanova. Weather was pretty good, if a bit warm for my taste.

Return was aboard 650 leaving DOW at 13:07. Unlike 605, 650 was busy coming east and approached standing room only (the Keystone being unreserved) after Ardmore, with nearly a hundred boarding at Paoli. Though I like my quiet empty trains as much as the next, it was good to see the struggling route well patronized. Arrival at PHL was a touch early, a fine end to a great trip.

Yes, sounds like a Monday federal holiday travel pattern—most people enjoying their Monday morning wherever they had gone for the long weekend, then coming home that afternoon because they’d have to be at work the next day.

Back