Quick BOS-PVD-BOS points run.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OH DEAR!!! LOL.. I accidentally CUT and pasted it into a word document to save it for myself instead of copying it! Here it is below again.. COPIED and pasted. Yes it was a very quick trip.

Hi,

I have taken many Amtrak trips on the NEC over the past year but have never wrote a trip report before, so this is the first one. I was 160 points short of making Select status so i decided to do a quick points run and the itinerary was:

N.E. Regional #161 BOS-PVD in coach @ 09:40 return Acela #2290 PVD-BOS @ 10:58 in Business.

I parked at the very convenient Necco garage in Southie for $5.00, which was empty, and walked over to South Station. Train 160 was absolutely packed, and as per usual the last two cars of the train were not open as to leave room further down the line at Back Bay, RTE128, etc. I opted for the third car back which is the second "coachclass" as the first car is business, and the second the quiet car. I like to sit in this car on the left in the last row as there are no seats behind me and you can watch the ocean if you are heading all the way through RI and CT.

We left right on time and by the time we reached RTE 128, the train was very full as there was not one empty seat in the car I was on and it was an interesting sight to see people trying to walk both ways up the aisle to get to the other cars as other people were coming into our car looking for seats. Maybe an announcement to head to the back of the train might have helped here. The ride was smooth and as always picked up plenty of speed outside of BBY and RTE128. I really like the Amfleets, as I find the seats to be very comfortable and the ride to be nice and smooth with plenty of leg room.

Arrived in PVD with no issues only to find the Acela train #2290 was running about 10 minutes bedind schedule (it was more like 15) oh a Solari board! Given the extra time I decided to book my return trip from ATL-BOS, and the Amtrak ticketing agent was great given that I had multiple paper and E vouchers in various amounts from $2.00 all the way up to $282.00. Ok all booked can't wait.

Acela #2290 arrived and I boarded the third car, first being well "first", and the second being the quiet car. Was able to get two seats to myself but the train was pretty full. Picked up speed leaving PVD and hit the wonderful speed of 150MPH and what a great ride. I was surprised by the number of passengers that detrained at BBY, I never noticed it before. We also arrived back in BOS just 3 minutes behind which was fine by me.

I have been on several Acela trips and just made some notes to myself, the foot rests are very odd and loud when the flip open and closed. I like the tray tables as they are more stable then the Amfleets. My only real question that I have been meaning to ask here is why are there so many sets of 4 seats with tables on each car; do that many groups of people actually travel together that they are utilized? On this trip the tables in front of me all had strangers sitting across from each other. Not that I am anti-social but i do not think I would like to sit staring at someone for several hours or more. Just seems odd that there are that many tables on each car.

Other than that, I had a great, relaxing, and enjoyable points run and am looking forward to my trip down to ATL. I made Select with these points all from NE Regionals/Acelas/and Downeaster's. I can honestly say that I have never had a bad ride and just can't wait for my next trip.

Thanks for reading, sorry if it was too long.

BOS-T-Time

Last edited by a moderator:
I can honestly say that I have never had a bad ride and just can't wait for my next trip.

BOS-T-Time
Now there's a statement worth quoting. I like it!

I feel that way when I get home from any trip, and even as the train is pulling into the final stop I have mixed feelings: sure, glad to have arrived where I am going, but already thinking about the next trip.

For your information, I read your report in post #1 when everything was there. The report then disappeared. You must have used "edit" too remove the text body.

RRRick,

That is exactly what I did (i think). I was in edit mode to correct something and wanted to save it on my computer and didnt realize I clicked "cut" instead of "copy".

Sorry everyone.

BOS-T-Time

BOS-T-Time, I have found that the ticket agents in PVD are generally very good. They are pretty patient and friendly. There is only one grumpy old man that I try to avoid at all costs! :) I am glad to hear that they were able to use all your vouchers and what not. I just wish they would put a bench or two in on the platform but I understand why they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back