Questions: trip to the NW

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluemwa

Train Attendant
Okay, I've been on a LD Amtrak train before. I took a trip between Nov 30 and Dec 5 from Denver to Chicago and back on the Zephyr for my brother's wedding. I stayed in a roomette and had a great time and met a lot of interesting people.

Now I'm taking a trip from SLC to PDX and then to SEA and then from SEA back from March 10-18. My schedule is below. I'm in a roomette on the Zephyr and in coach or business class the rest of the time. The roomette for the Zephyr was a lot cheaper. Since I'm doing the trip for job interviews, and I'm about to graduate college, I can't afford the Starlight's prices. I've looked around on the site for this info but I couldn't find this info.

First of all, I've never been to SLC. Are there enough places to park at the Intermodal Hub, or do I need to park at the airport and get a taxi? If a taxi, are they available at 3AM, which is my arrival for my return trip? How safe is it?

I have a layover in Sacramento from 2:13 until 12AM. What are the best things to do during that time? Is there anything to see around there or is my best bet to just find something to eat for dinner and get somework done?

This is my first time in coach, what's it like onthe Coast Starlight? Is it easy to getinto the dinner car? Oh, also how crowded is it from Sacramento? I know to bring a blanket and pillow and my own snacks. I've also got duct tape, that really helped along with eye mask and such. Are there outlets at each seat? I'm bringing my surge protector with me because it was really useful on the Zephyr.

How is the PDX station and is it easy to get transportation from it?

I'll be taking the Cascades to SEA in businessclass. Is there a luggage rack or will I have to lift it into a bin? I'm trying to decide on either one or two bags, they'll be carry-on size so pretty small: one is a travel pack and the other is a rolling suitcase (this is the one I'm trying to decide on). I wanted to know I will probably be getting in late to SEA, so is it relatively safe? Easy to get a cab, bus, or lightrail at about 10PM? My hotel is about a mile away and I really don't want to walk around at 10PM.

Any other advice about these cities and trains would be appreciated! Thank you!

Sat 3-10: SLC to SAC 1159PM- Sun 2:13PM

Sun 3-11: SAC to PDX 1159PM- Mon 340PM

Tues 3-13: PDX to SEA (I haven't decided yet)

Fri 3-16: SEA to SAC 945AM- Sat 615AM

Sat 3-17: SAC to SLC 1109AM- Sun 305AM

Hmmm… a lot of "S" stations.

Okay, I've been on a LD Amtrak train before. I took a trip between Nov 30 and Dec 5 from Denver to Chicago and back on the Zephyr for my brother's wedding. I stayed in a roomette and had a great time and met a lot of interesting people.

Now I'm taking a trip from SLC to PDX and then to SEA and then from SEA back from March 10-18. My schedule is below. I'm in a roomette on the Zephyr and in coach or business class the rest of the time. The roomette for the Zephyr was a lot cheaper. Since I'm doing the trip for job interviews, and I'm about to graduate college, I can't afford the Starlight's prices. I've looked around on the site for this info but I couldn't find this info.

First of all, I've never been to SLC. Are there enough places to park at the Intermodal Hub, or do I need to park at the airport and get a taxi? If a taxi, are they available at 3AM, which is my arrival for my return trip? How safe is it?

I have a layover in Sacramento from 2:13 until 12AM. What are the best things to do during that time? Is there anything to see around there or is my best bet to just find something to eat for dinner and get somework done?

Lots to do in Sacramento. Visit the California RR Museum. One of the best in the country and just down the street from the station.

Old Town Sacramento in the same area. Some decent restaurants. Souvenir shops. Nice view of the river. If you have time, a visit to the statehouse is interesting. There is a mall withing walking distance of the station for shopping, some restaurants in that area as well.

If you are into art. Art Museum is walking distance as well. You can ride the light rail system around town for transportation.

This is my first time in coach, what's it like onthe Coast Starlight? Is it easy to getinto the dinner car? Oh, also how crowded is it from Sacramento? I know to bring a blanket and pillow and my own snacks. I've also got duct tape, that really helped along with eye mask and such. Are there outlets at each seat? I'm bringing my surge protector with me because it was really useful on the Zephyr.

How is the PDX station and is it easy to get transportation from it?

PDX is a nice station with large waiting area. Lounge for sleeper passengers. A nice area of town and a short walk or trolley ride to everything downtown.

I'll be taking the Cascades to SEA in businessclass. Is there a luggage rack or will I have to lift it into a bin? I'm trying to decide on either one or two bags, they'll be carry-on size so pretty small: one is a travel pack and the other is a rolling suitcase (this is the one I'm trying to decide on). I wanted to know I will probably be getting in late to SEA, so is it relatively safe? Easy to get a cab, bus, or lightrail at about 10PM? My hotel is about a mile away and I really don't want to walk around at 10PM.

Plenty of room above your seat for luggage. Should not be a problem getting a cab at Seattle. Would probably opt for cab rather than walk but depends where your hotel is.

Any other advice about these cities and trains would be appreciated! Thank you!

Sat 3-10: SLC to SAC 1159PM- Sun 2:13PM

Sun 3-11: SAC to PDX 1159PM- Mon 340PM

Tues 3-13: PDX to SEA (I haven't decided yet)

Fri 3-16: SEA to SAC 945AM- Sat 615AM

Sat 3-17: SAC to SLC 1109AM- Sun 305AM

Hmmm… a lot of "S" stations.

Is there a reason you are making the switch from the CS to the CZ in SAC? I believe you could take the CS all the way to Emeryville if you wanted and then start on the CZ there, too. I am pretty sure that is also a guaranteed/legal connection. If the train is running late, then just detrain in SAC.

Are you a member of Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR) yet? If not, send me a PM (Private Message - click on the envelope under my name) with your email address, and I'll refer you!

To answer your question about SLC, yes just call for a cab, and it's very easy and quick to get to/from the airport. I did it a few years ago for both the eastbound and westbound trains!
cool.gif

You may want to see if you can make your connection point in Martinez or Emeryville instead of Sacramento. This way, you can board the northbound train before midnight and get some sleep earlier, and you won't have to get off the southbound train at 6 AM - and you can also have breakfast on the train!
excl.gif
(You'll have to call to ask for this connection!)

As far as power at your seat, most cars have it. (As the cars are refurbished, they have it installed.) If by chance your seat does not have power at the seat, walk to the other cars and if you find an empty seat, ask both coach attendants for each coach if you can move. I'm almost sure they will say yes!
smile.gif
(I've done this with no problem.) In the sleeper, you will have a power outlet!

Keep checking the reservations site. It's possible that the rooms on the Coast Starlight may go lower!
excl.gif

I have never heard about it connecting fromEmeryville, but that would be a good idea. I’ll look into that because that does sound better than waiting aroundfor 10 hours.

I’m quite thankful about the power beingthere. And thanks for advice about movingif it doesn’t work. I’m usually someonethat suffers in silence but this is one thing that I would be more than willingto move for.

I will keep checking on the rooms for theStarlight because I have heard so many great things about it on this forum.

I think I'm going to rent a car for when I get to PDX because my interview is not close to the buses or rails. It will probably end up being cheaper because of all the running around I'm going to have to do.

I am making that connx. CZ to CS in a couple of weeks myself. Another member here suggested calling Amtrak and make Martinez the connection point. Then get off the train early at Sacramento do a little sightseeing have dinner and hop one of the many Capital Corridor trains ($18) on over to Martinez where they have a much nicer waiting area and you can board the CS earlier...or option #2 stick with the Sacramento connx. and grab a room at the Vagabond Inn have dinner and a movie, and a real shower and perhaps a nap before the midnite departure of the CS. I haven't decided which one I will do just yet but I think the wife will go for option 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I decided I’m smart if this works. I didn’t want to start my trip in Denver b/cI wanted the roomette and it was going to cost a lot more. Well, I got to thinking and I decided to bookmy trip in Denver by making segment 1 from Denver to SLC in coach, since Idoubt I will not be going to sleep before then anyway. And then I will book another segment from SLCto Martinez in another segment with me in the sleeper. It costs almost 200 cheaper by doing it thisway and I can use that money somewhere else on the trip (e.g. cab fare and misc.). Will they allow me to do it? And do they put each segment on a differentticket?

And I really liked the idea of going on to Martinezafter I’ve done a little look around downtown Sacramento. I really wish I could take a nap but I've never been able to take naps during the day even if 've stayed up the entire night before; it was killer on my mom when I was little. The movie and shower sounds good though.

What are the storage areas like at the station? Are they relatively safe?

Thanks

Well, I decided I'm smart if this works. I didn't want to start my trip in Denver b/cI wanted the roomette and it was going to cost a lot more. Well, I got to thinking and I decided to book my trip in Denver by making segment 1 from Denver to SLC in coach, since I doubt I will not be going to sleep before then anyway. And then I will book another segment from SLC to Martinez in another segment with me in the sleeper. It costs almost 200 cheaper by doing it this way and I can use that money somewhere else on the trip (e.g. cab fare and misc.). Will they allow me to do it? And do they put each segment on a different ticket?
To answer this: Yes, and Yes. You can book all nature of segments without issue, and then ask the Amtrak agent to "link" all those reservations together once you have things the way you like. I've successfully "linked" reservations for two separate parties traveling from different origin points but on the same train together successfully, for an extreme example. But you will get a new ticket for the sleeper portion; your coach ticket will be just for travel between DEN and SLC.

And I really liked the idea of going on to Martinez after I've done a little look around downtown Sacramento. I really wish I could take a nap but I've never been able to take naps during the day even if 've stayed up the entire night before; it was killer on my mom when I was little. The movie and shower sounds good though.

Downtown Sacramento is really not that bad!! The Old-Town section is extremely safe and very interesting; there is plenty to see and the California Railroad Museum is one of the finest in all of North America. And the station, while under renovations outside, is historical and fascinating on the inside. But the Martinez station is much newer, modern and comfortable in terms of having individual seats instead of the traditional wooden railroad benches. Also, interesting historical fact about Martinez: the Martini cocktail was invented here!

Both stations have checked baggage service, and both stations will happily provide day-check service for those connecting between trains. The last time I used this at Sacramento, there was no fee. And yes, they are safe. Sacramento actually has a security guard in the station waiting room just to ensure passenger safety.

Well, I decided I’m smart if this works. I didn’t want to start my trip in Denver b/cI wanted the roomette and it was going to cost a lot more. Well, I got to thinking and I decided to bookmy trip in Denver by making segment 1 from Denver to SLC in coach, since Idoubt I will not be going to sleep before then anyway. And then I will book another segment from SLCto Martinez in another segment with me in the sleeper. It costs almost 200 cheaper by doing it thisway and I can use that money somewhere else on the trip (e.g. cab fare and misc.). Will they allow me to do it? And do they put each segment on a differentticket?

And I really liked the idea of going on to Martinezafter I’ve done a little look around downtown Sacramento. I really wish I could take a nap but I've never been able to take naps during the day even if 've stayed up the entire night before; it was killer on my mom when I was little. The movie and shower sounds good though.

Thanks
That sounds like a good plan, since you will want to spend most of that time in the sightseer lounge anyway. I have gone for option #2, hoping the train will get to SAC a little early, leaving us some time to check out the RR Mueseum before we grab a room and do a little sightseeing. We are coming from FTW so this will be day 4 on the train for us. You know the saying "a happy mama is, well uhh.... a happy mama" self explanatory :D

Thanks for all the advise. I'll end up departing from Denver and getting the roomette in SLC. I decided to just stay in SAC because I think it would just make things more complicated. Since I couldn't book it online and I don't trust things to get to my place (I live in WY), I thought it would be best if I could get a schedule that I can see online and do the kiosk. And there does seem to be a lot to see and walk around to in SAC so I'll be occupied for many hours anyway with that

Yeah, if the mama is happy then no one will get bitten :D I may try the Vagabond anyway because with adding the Denver departure then I'm going to be traveling a full 2 1/2 days. I might be a bit rank when I get to PDX so a shower might be worth it. :wacko:

I just realized that I'm leaving on a Sat and getting to and leaving SAC on the Sunday of daylight savings time. Does anybody know what they do with the schedule on that day?

I read somewhere that when the clock goes ahead one hour Amtrak trains stop and wait it out. They have to stay on the scheduled time.

Well, the DST is when you "spring" forward so we lose an hour. When it's 2AM the clock changes to 3AM so I just wondering how they deal with it. I guess they could just say that the train is running an hour late at that point. It's not really going to affect anything that much but I was just curious.

Concerning the Seattle question: if your hotel is downtown, you can take the underground "Transit Tunnel" into the center, and save cab fare (not to mention the environment :). Seattle is a safe city, and the service in the transit tunnel is very frequent, even late at night.

Walk uphill from King Street Station, following Jackson Street for 2 blocks. The entrance to the "International District" station is on your right. Take any bus traveling in the same direction that your train was (towards the skyscrapers, though you have to orient yourself before going underground). Pick which of the 4 "Transit Tunnel" stations is closest to your hotel, and get off there. If you are on a budget, well, this will save you $10. Pay your fare as you board (the tunnel is curiously free during the day, but you have to pay after 7p). Have change: I don't remember SEA's transit fare off-hand.

Here is a map of downtown Seattle, showing the "Transit Tunnel" and the downtown streets (though, curiously, not King Street Station, just north of, and next door to, the stadium labeled "Qwest."

http://metro.kingcounty.gov/tops/bus/area_maps/m_seattle-rfa.html

One other detail re the Starlight and a room: ask if there is one available just before you board, or even on board. Prices for on-board upgrades can be much lower than advance purchase prices.

This is my first time in coach, what's it like onthe Coast Starlight?

I wanted to know I will probably be getting in late to SEA, so is it relatively safe? Easy to get a cab, bus, or lightrail at about 10PM? My hotel is about a mile away and I really don't want to walk around at 10PM.

Your train will, indeed, suddenly become an hour late, though no fault of its own.

If the train is on time leaving SLC, you will likely make that up, and be on time into Sac. If you are already late, well, you will be later.

Well, the DST is when you "spring" forward so we lose an hour. When it's 2AM the clock changes to 3AM so I just wondering how they deal with it. I guess they could just say that the train is running an hour late at that point. It's not really going to affect anything that much but I was just curious.

Blue Marble, thanks for the link. I'll probably end up using the bus then because the bus hub is actually across the street from my hotel (Camlin). That would be better on my wallet also. I'm trying to determine whether it's feasible for me to travel in coach for LD on the way up from SAC to PDX so I probably won't ask unless I'm desperate, which I just might get. If I find I can't stand it or it's too crowded for me then I will definitely ask on the southbound train. I can usually sleep in any environment thanks to all of my band, chorus, and church trips that helped me get over sleeping in a horizontal position. One band trip involved traveling from FL to Chicago overnight, which took 20 something hours and I was in the aisle seat so I've learned to make do with what I'm presented. However, I don't like crowds and it might bother me more than anything else to be next to a stranger all night. Hopefully it won't be that crowded when I take it. And everything might turn out fine in the end and I might meet an awesome person. Anyway, that's good to know about the train being automatically late for DST that way I can plan on it. Oh, and I just figured out that I won't have to worry about changing my watch that day so that's one less thing I don't have to do! :D

Walk uphill from King Street Station, following Jackson Street for 2 blocks. The entrance to the "International District" station is on your right. Take any bus traveling in the same direction that your train was (towards the skyscrapers, though you have to orient yourself before going underground). Pick which of the 4 "Transit Tunnel" stations is closest to your hotel, and get off there. If you are on a budget, well, this will save you $10. Pay your fare as you board (the tunnel is curiously free during the day, but you have to pay after 7p). Have change: I don't remember SEA's transit fare off-hand.
Unless the train is very late arriving, it's is far easier to use the special pedestrian bridge over the tracks than to take the walk up Jackson. It's shorter and easier to cross the street too.

Turn left as you come out of the train station and walk past the taxi line. You'll see a stadium ahead of you and a parking lot. Also on your left you'll see the pedestrian bridge over the train tracks. Head for that bridge, there is an elevator to get you up to the bridge. Cross the bridge to the far side and there is a traffic light there with a button that you can push to assist you in crossing the street.

Once you're across the street, follow the walkway directly ahead of you that runs between two office buildings. IIRC, there is a Starbucks along the way. At the end of the walkway, when it opens up into a big pedestrian mall, turn to the left and you'll find the entrance to the Downtown Transit Tunnel. The elevators/escalators on your right take you down to the inbound or downtown bound buses & trains.

Going this way is slightly shorter and it eliminates walking up the hill on Jackson. If you're very late, say after midnight, then I'm not sure just how safe it might be to go the above route.

Alan, thanks for the advise about the pedestrian bridge. I will take that over to the buses. Yeah, if the train doesn't come in until 12, I'm just going to bite the bullet and take a cab. But I will definitely be taking the bus from the hotel to the station for my departure.

Also, the Transit Tunnel closes at midnight, and after that the rare buses operate on the surface streets, which is harder to figure out....

If you're very late, say after midnight, then I'm not sure just how safe it might be to go the above route.

Unless the train is very late arriving, it's is far easier to use the special pedestrian bridge over the tracks than to take the walk up Jackson. It's shorter and easier to cross the street too.

Turn left as you come out of the train station and walk past the taxi line. You'll see a stadium ahead of you and a parking lot. Also on your left you'll see the pedestrian bridge over the train tracks. Head for that bridge, there is an elevator to get you up to the bridge. Cross the bridge to the far side and there is a traffic light there with a button that you can push to assist you in crossing the street.

Once you're across the street, follow the walkway directly ahead of you that runs between two office buildings. IIRC, there is a Starbucks along the way. At the end of the walkway, when it opens up into a big pedestrian mall, turn to the left and you'll find the entrance to the Downtown Transit Tunnel. The elevators/escalators on your right take you down to the inbound or downtown bound buses & trains.

Going this way is slightly shorter and it eliminates walking up the hill on Jackson. If you're very late, say after midnight, then I'm not sure just how safe it might be to go the above route.
Just to get you fully oriented, the pedestrian bridge is the Weller Street Overpass, the street you'll cross is 4th Ave S. The office buildings you'll walk between are part of Vulcan's (Paul Allen's) Union Station complex. Just be warned, that elevator frequently smells of pee.

AlanB has all the directions right, my only note is it is a lot more obvious and straightforward on the ground than it sounds. As to direction, you'll be walking eastward over the overpass, across the street and through the office complex, then catching a bus or a Link light rail train going northbound.

The Camlin is close to the Convention Place Station. This is furthest of the four transit tunnel stations (International District, Pioneer Square, University Ave, Westlake Center, Convention Place).

Thanks, I'll be sure to write down all of the suggestions and directions so I won't get lost. Thanks for the warning about the elevator, that will not be a pleasant smell so I'll remember to hold my breath while in it. Hopefully, I can hold it that long.

Mr. Bill here, I concur with alanb's directions, in Mar it will likely be raining, and to speak to safety I would choose to cab it rather than transit by Metro. Your fare to the Camlin will be around $15.00 frm KSS. The neighborhood around KSS @ night is deserted as it's a combo of offices and sports venues which will b empty at night. Yellow Cab has the largest fleet in SEA, 206 622 6500. As to the CS frm SAC to PDX in coach u sd b fine. There are good restaurants near, dragonfish @ the Paramount, assagio @ the Andra hotel. Enjoy!

Thanks for the number for Yellow cab and the estimate. I've been waffling back and forth about whether I should choose the bus or the cab and I think I'm just going to go with the cab no matter what time I get in. I'll be using the Metro throughout the rest of my stay to get to interviews and do a little sightseeing so I can splurge on a cab for this one night. When I do go to a big city, I'm either driving or I have someone else with me so I've been a little worried about safety at night, but I'm sure as long as I take proper precautions I'll be fine. I kind of figured it was probably going to be raining the entire trip so I'm trying to plan accordingly with transportation and packing. You know you're going to a rainy place when hotels list "umbrellas" under amenities for your room. :D And thank you for the restaurant recommendations! I'll definitely be checking those out.

:) Not to rain on your parade... but, if safety is your concern, you should take the bus.

I don't know how many people died, were seriously injured on Seattle's buses and trains last year (I'm guessing that the figure may be zero, though I'm sure a couple had trouble walking to or from), but about 500 people died on Washington State's roads, and another 4,500 were permanently maimed or injured. Can't break down the figures for Seattle...

Thanks for the number for Yellow cab and the estimate. I've been waffling back and forth about whether I should choose the bus or the cab and I think I'm just going to go with the cab no matter what time I get in. I'll be using the Metro throughout the rest of my stay to get to interviews and do a little sightseeing so I can splurge on a cab for this one night. When I do go to a big city, I'm either driving or I have someone else with me so I've been a little worried about safety at night, but I'm sure as long as I take proper precautions I'll be fine. I kind of figured it was probably going to be raining the entire trip so I'm trying to plan accordingly with transportation and packing. You know you're going to a rainy place when hotels list "umbrellas" under amenities for your room. :D And thank you for the restaurant recommendations! I'll definitely be checking those out.

In Portland (PDX), the light rail station is about a block from the Amtrak station.....if you're taking it into downtown PDX, then you're in the ride-free zone for the light-rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back