Questions on viweing scenery from LD trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don

I am taking a trip from NOL to LAX to EMY to CHI and then back to NOL. This is my first real LD trip, and I am looking forward to it. My wife and I have reserved bedroom on all legs except on the CS where we have reserved a roomette. I do have some questions about how to best view the passing scenery from the train.

(1) I gather that the sleepers cars can be connected either way in the actual consist, so it is impossible to say whether the room window faces to the left or right of the train. Is this true?

(2) I have read that it is possible to view scenery on both sides of the from the seats in a bedroom because of windows in the walkway. How true is this?

(3) We are taking the CZ east thru Colorado. Is there a preferred side of the train for scenery? If we are on the right side of the train, are there times when I should try to get the Lounge car to see the left side of the train, or vice versa?

(4) I realize that the left side of the northbound CS has the best views of the ocean. We have reserved a roomette on the CS. If we end up on the right side of the train, I plan to try to get into the palour car during the early part of the trip. Is there any good strategy for ensuring a seat in the palour car?

You have learned well Grasshopper :p :D :cool: :p :D :cool:

1) True, Bedrooms & roomettes can be on EITHER side

2) True but you will be looking across the walkway - not as good as looking right out the window

3) I don't know

4) The best way to get and keep a seat in the PPC is to get there early and stay there. The early bird get the worm - which I hope is not a glimpse of the lunch menu ;)

4) The best way to get and keep a seat in the PPC is to get there early and stay there. The early bird get the worm - which I hope is not a glimpse of the lunch menu ;)
How early can you enter the palour car?

Last edited by a moderator:
On my trip the PPC was open at boarding. When I left our bedroom and went to take a picture there were people staking out seats so the earlier the better. If I remember correctly going northbound the inital views were on the left side of the train, ocean. Once we got to the mountains the views were on the right, sweeping vistas with abrupt drop offs.

It's a great ride, enjoy.

Soon as you get your roomette go up to the PPC (it will be no more than two cars behind your sleeper) and snag a good seat on the left side! Remember you can eat in the PPC also, most of us feel that the special menu is a fantastic way to have a change from the generic Amtrak menu, and it is less hectic even if the booths are a little cramped! Also the wine and cheese party is nice too!We spent the entire trip in the PPC from LAX-EMY except for trips to the bathroom even though our SCA was very nice our roomette served as storage for our luggage! :lol:

Soon as you get your roomette go up to the PPC (it will be no more than two cars behind your sleeper) and snag a good seat on the left side! Remember you can eat in the PPC also, most of us feel that the special menu is a fantastic way to have a change from the generic Amtrak menu, and it is less hectic even if the booths are a little cramped! Also the wine and cheese party is nice too!We spent the entire trip in the PPC from LAX-EMY except for trips to the bathroom even though our SCA was very nice our roomette served as storage for our luggage! :lol:
Thanks for info!! :)

I went into the Parlor Car as early as 6 am.The attendant was not quite ready for passengers, still brewing coffee, etc.
Boy, you were quite early! :lol:

OP is departing out of LAX, and the departure time is 10:15 AM! :D The CS usually doesn't get released from the yard until like 9:30 AM - and you usually don't even board until 9:45 or later! :p

(2) I have read that it is possible to view scenery on both sides of the from the seats in a bedroom because of windows in the walkway. How true is this?
Not much - here's the view from my seat right now (as soon as it finishes uploading, that is):
bedroom_small.jpg

You can see what's out there, but you won't be doing any sightseeing...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not much - here's the view from my seat right now (as soon as it finishes uploading, that is):
bedroom_small.jpg

You can see what's out there, but you won't be doing any sightseeing...
If you focus on what is outside the window, rather than on your roomate's face, you will get a somewhat better iew - but I like looking at pretty girls so that doesn't always work :D

I went into the Parlor Car as early as 6 am.The attendant was not quite ready for passengers, still brewing coffee, etc.
Boy, you were quite early! :lol:

OP is departing out of LAX, and the departure time is 10:15 AM! :D The CS usually doesn't get released from the yard until like 9:30 AM - and you usually don't even board until 9:45 or later! :p
Sorry-it was day 2-we were going around Mount Shasta, Northern California. I got up later than I wanted because I did want to see more of the mountain-but it still took a long time to pass it.

I have not ridden the CS south of Santa Barbara or north of Sacramento, but let me offer a somewhat contrarian view (ocean vs. inside) based on the SBA-SAC leg. To my mind, the view towards the east is much to be preferred - especially between Santa Barbara and Paso Robles. Two reasons - the ocean gets to be a little boring (once you've seen a bit of water, you've seen a lot of water). Also, the hills and valleys to the east on that leg are absolutely stunning. In both directions, you see them in the afternoon, with the sun shining from the west casting very attractive shadows. Going north, after you leave Paso Robles and get into the Salinas Valley, you'll get attractive views to the west, especially while the sun sets. From EMY-SAC, it's best to be on the West/north side to see the beautiful Delta waters. Just a thought..... :huh:

As far as the California Zephyr is concerned, eastbound the best view is on the left side of the train. That gives the best view of Glenwood Canyon in the Glenwood Springs area and the Rockies before you arrive in Denver. I'd try to secure seats in the SSL long before Glenwood Canyon. If it were me I'd try to be there no later than the Grand Junction stop and probably before that. I don't want to take any chances!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back