Questions on Silver Star TRE to ALX

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking of taking the Star to ALX for the Gathering (with the senior rate, it's only $8 more than the lowest rate on the regionals, and of course it would be more comfortable).

I have taken the Star in coach in Florida, but have never done it from the Northeast. Will they assign me a seat, like they do in Florida? Or am I on my own, like on the regionals, where you have to poke someone who is pretending to sleep and is actually just hogging two seats?

Also, will they take lunch reservations in coach? Or, if I ask the conductor when my ticket is scanned, can I just go down to the dining car? (It makes sense to do that before Philly if possible, before more people get on.)

I thought, if I stick to the salad and one of those delicious desserts, it will be a nice way to pass the time and won't cost much more than eating the café car food.

Any advice from people who've done this will be appreciated....thanks!

In my experience lunch on the originating day on the Star is walk in, no reservations needed. But of course things could be different now.

I have never done it to ALX but I have done it NYP or NWK to Orlando or Savannah several times and once all the way to Miami.

Also, will they take lunch reservations in coach? Or, if I ask the conductor when my ticket is scanned, can I just go down to the dining car? (It makes sense to do that before Philly if possible, before more people get on.)

I thought, if I stick to the salad and one of those delicious desserts, it will be a nice way to pass the time and won't cost much more than eating the café car food.

Any advice from people who've done this will be appreciated....thanks!
From our experiences on the Silvers, there are two lines formed in the Dining Car. One with Sleeper passengers and one with Coach passengers. Of course, the two lines are on different ends of the Dining Car; the side appropriate to Sleeping or Coach. This may vary by the LSA, but typically the favor seating Sleeper passengers, and only tend to seat Coach passengers when there are no Sleeper passengers waiting.

Also, I don't think if you order only the salad and dessert, you'll be allowed to just sit there passing the time away. If there are any passengers waiting to sit, you'll be pushed thru the your small meal, and out as quickly as possible. Again, this might be LSA dependent.

At this point, I am beginning to lean toward Plan B, which I just made up. Save the Silvers for a special treat for when I go to Florida in a roomette in the winter.

For the trip to ALX, take SEPTA from TRE to PHL, get a guaranteed delicious lunch anywhere in 30th Street Station and eat it there (on a historic bench watching the other travelers go by).

Go down with one of the redcaps I am always recommending to others to a Regional.

First of all, the ticket from PHL is $16 less than from TRE, so even with the SEPTA ticket, it comes out a few dollars less. Second, and crucial to me, the Regionals have a Quiet Car, which of course the Silvers do not. And, as you all may have gathered by now, I will use any excuse to go hang out at beautiful 30th St. Station!

I have a choice between 95 and 125. Both have Quiet Cars. They both start from Boston, though, so even if some people get off in Philly, I am concerned about snagging a seat in the Quiet Car. Does anyone know if one tends to be more crowded than the other? Thanks for any suggestions.

I think it would be worth taking the chance on the Star and trying to have a small lunch in the diner. I have often thought about doing a day trip with the silver service and taking the Acela back with a couple of my friends who don't understand how most of the Amtrak system works.

The load on train 125 is typically lighter than the load on train 95.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would be worth taking the chance on the Star and trying to have a small lunch in the diner. I have often thought about doing a day trip with the silver service and taking the Acela back with a couple of my friends who don't understand how most of the Amtrak system works.
Okay--you've persuaded me. Just booked it (got an extra $4 off because they have a 20% special deal listed under the Silvers "routes" section!). Your trip with friends sounds like a great idea--go for it!

Whenever I've gotten on at TRE, the dining car has been practically empty til PHL, so I will go down immediately after boarding. If I'm lucky, it will be a dining crew I know from a longer trip. Maybe there will even be a new and exciting entrée. (Okay, I'm really pushing my luck there--I'll probably just stick to the veggie burger and of course that wonderful cheesecake.) Obviously, if a line starts to form at PHL, I will offer to take my dessert back to my seat.

Thanks to all who gave me info on the difference between 95 and 125. I thought both originated in Boston because I was trying to read the tiny print on a PDF timetable on the computer, which is pretty hard even with reading glasses. When I got home and took out my paper timetable, I could see the difference clearly.

I'd hate 125 to feel neglected just 'cause I chose 91 this time, so I will have to take it down to Fredericksburg (one of my favorite towns) next time I go there!

One more question: Is there a coach attendant from the beginning of the trip? Or just the conductor til WAS, with the coach attendants joining after the Northeast part of the run?

Well, my life on this day in October seems pretty well organized. Wish I could say the same for right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back