Questions From a Newbie

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mrs Wolfe

My husband and I are considering our first real train trip, but there are a few (possibly dumb) questions I can't find the answers to.

When you purchase coach tickets and add a roomette, do you have a room AND seats in coach? Or just the roomette with it's chairs that convert to a bed?

When you purchase the roomette it says meals are included. Are the meals limited to a specific list, or are all foods (including the dining car) covered?

Thank you!

When upgrading to sleeping car accommodations, you just get the room, not separate seats in the coach. And yes you are correct that the seats convert to beds at night (see the amtrak.com site for detailed descriptions, pictures, diagrams). Also you are correct that you get your meals included, which means 1 meal/per person in the dining car (any one entree/side/drink/dessert) for each meal time. Anything in the cafe/snack bar would be extra. As you plan your trip please ask us more questions- there are plenty of people here willing to share advice and past experiences. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
When you purchase coach tickets and add a roomette, do you have a room AND seats in coach? Or just the roomette with it's chairs that convert to a bed?
Once you add a roomette (or any other sleeper accommodation) you lose access to your coach seats. The coach fare, however, remains your responsibility anyway. It doesn't doesn't make much sense to a layperson, but that's how it is.

When you purchase the roomette it says meals are included. Are the meals limited to a specific list, or are all foods (including the dining car) covered?
Oddly enough the dining car is the ONLY place you can receive meals as part of your sleeper fare. If you make use of the snack bar you will be paying full price just like everyone else.

Hope that helps!

Thank you the quick and helpful replies!

Thought of another question. If you have a roomette, are you allowed to bring aboard more luggage, rather than checking them?

And another. If you are transfering trains, do you recheck your bags, or are they automatically moved to the new train?

Thank you!

You are still allowed the same amount of luggage - 3 checked pieces and 2 carry-on pieces.

If you check luggage, and have to connect trains, your luggage will be transfered for you (like an airline does). That is assuming both your starting and ending points offer checked bag service. (Not all stations do!
excl.gif
) If at least one station does not, you can not check your bags!

There is a carry-on limit of two bags per person (not including personal items such as purses, laptops, and baby paraphernalia). It may or may not be strictly enforced. There is no "extra" allowance for sleeping car passengers, but that's usually not a problem.

The roomettes are very small. You may be able to fit a small tote bag under your seats. A medium-sized suitcase could be perched on the steps, but if you're using the top bunk you may want that step unencumbered. If you're not using the top bunk at all, you can fold it down and use it to hold stuff. However, I recommend that any "luggage" luggage which is not checked go in the communal storage rack which is downstairs near the car entrance. I haven't had problems with things going missing from it, but obviously I recommend that you put nothing of extreme value there.

If you are traveling between stations which offer checked baggage service you may check up to three items per passenger at no charge. If you have this service available, I suggest you use it.

I have a question the meals. If my wife doesn't like any of the dinners, ,can she order off the childrens menu?

I have a question the meals. If my wife doesn't like any of the dinners, ,can she order off the childrens menu?
When we are on a trip, we have always found something we both like. I seems like I read in prior posts that it is okay to order from the children's menu. I am sure other members will add their comments a little later in the day.Wish I could help more.

GregL

I know somewhere "out there" Ive seen the actual menu on the SWC. I have it printed out for our trip. Let me see if I can find the link. I bet if you google " Amtrak Southwest Chief dining menu" it will show up.

I know my wife has ordered something off the children's menu in the past and it was no problem. We were in a sleeper then.

I think if you are in a sleeper, they don't mind. I don't think they will let you if you are in coach. We both ordered the grilled cheese one day for lunch. After having meals for two days, we were just full and didn't want much.

The roomettes are different on the Superliners (Chicago west of) and on the eastern side. If your trip is on the est there is a bit more room for carryon luggage in your roomette. Two carry on size (airline) fit nicely in an overhead compartment. You realize once you take this trip you will never want to fly or drive again.

It seems to depend on the LSA running the dining car. Some will allow it, while other's won't. I've seen reports of success and reports of failure.

Once you add a roomette (or any other sleeper accommodation) you lose access to your coach seats.
Well, you don't really "lose access" to coach: as a sleeper passenger, no one is going to stop you from wandering over to the coach section. Moreover, if there are plenty of empty seats in coach, you can usually sit there without a problem. I've personally done that several times, with conductor's permission. If coach is nearly full, it's a different story, but then you probably wouldn't want to sit there anyway.

Also, if you're worried about feeling confined to your room, keep in mind that there are plenty of other places to sit on the train: the sightseer lounge, the cafe, the dining car, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back