Questions for a BOS--PHL--HAR trip.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be taking a RT out of Boston this week. I don't think I've ridden Amtrak since the Amfleet I days so I'd appreciate any helpful info. I'm taking a Regional (171) BOS-PHL and then transferring to a Keystone (647) for the PHL-HAR leg. Return trip the following week is nearly identical: # 646 HAR-PHL then Regional # 86 PHL to BOS/BBY.

1. What is the typical Regional consist out of BOS ?

2. Where are the PHL coach(es) usually spotted on the train out of BOS - near the head end ? Mid train? Rear ?

3. I've never been to PHL, plus I am supposed to meet up with a friend there. Are the NEC and Keystone tracks far apart?

Will my friend be able to meet me on the platform when # 171 arrives ? Or do I need to make other arrangements

for meeting my friend somewhere else 'upstairs' ??

4. Are there elevators to go from the platform to the main concourse ? and vice versa for the Keystone tracks ?

5. We're hoping to do lunch at Bridgewater's pub. Will we hear the boarding announcements there ? How much time will we

need to go from there to the Keystone departure tracks for 647 ?

6. On my return trip I am ticketed through to BOS, but will I have any problems if I want to detrain at BBY (so I can take

the Orange line to North Station ) ?

Thanks for any tips you can provide, I appreciate it!

TommySPF

1) Typical consist is one electric engine, 1 business class car, and anything from 5 to 8 Amfleet cars.

2) Passengers aren't assigned a particular coach based upon destination. You are free to sit in any coach, other than the business class car. Note: One car is usually a quiet car, where no cell phones are allowed and all noise must be kept to a minimum. Basically think a library atmosphere.

3) The tracks are pretty close, IIRC there are only about 12 tracks in total in the Amtrak section of the station. Your friend will most likely not be allowed down to the track level to meet you. I would suggest meeting near the information booth in the center of the station. It's very easy to find.

4) Yes to both.

5) I have no clue if you can hear the announcements in the pub. I'd say that you shouldn't need more than 2 or 3 minutes to walk to the gate. But remember that they'll send you down before the train arrives, plus you may need to settle your bill. So allow some extra time. And by the way, if you want the elevator over the escalator at the main gate, then you may need to add a few more minutes. I'm also not positive if you can just get into the elevator and push the button to go down to the tracks. You may need a redcap or Amtrak employee to key the elevator to go down. Going up should not be a problem.

6) You will have no problem should you wish to exit the train at Back Bay on the way home. Boston South Station, Back Bay, and Route 128 all cost the same and are interchangable in Amtrak's eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Typical consist is one electric engine, 1 business class car, and anything from 5 to 8 Amfleet cars.
2) Passengers aren't assigned a particular coach based upon destination. You are free to sit in any coach, other than the business class car. Note: One car is usually a quiet car, where no cell phones are allowed and all noise must be kept to a minimum. Basically think a library atmosphere.

3) The tracks are pretty close, IIRC there are only about 12 tracks in total in the Amtrak section of the station. Your friend will most likely not be allowed down to the track level to meet you. I would suggest meeting near the information booth in the center of the station. It's very easy to find.

4) Yes to both.

5) I have no clue if you can hear the announcements in the pub. I'd say that you shouldn't need more than 2 or 3 minutes to walk to the gate. But remember that they'll send you down before the train arrives, plus you may need to settle your bill. So allow some extra time. And by the way, if you want the elevator over the escalator at the main gate, then you may need to add a few more minutes. I'm also not positive if you can just get into the elevator and push the button to go down to the tracks. You may need a redcap or Amtrak employee to key the elevator to go down. Going up should not be a problem.

6) You will have no problem should you wish to exit the train at Back Bay on the way home. Boston South Station, Back Bay, and Route 128 all cost the same and are interchangable in Amtrak's eyes.

Opps. hit wromg button before

You are unable to hear train announceements in PUB at 30th St. Location in corner of station and lots of openfood courts [noise] There is a TV screen in the Pub with trains listed as I recall. Nice place to wait for connection

I've never been able to hear train announcements at Bridgewaters. However their clocks always seem to be 5 minutes ahead of my wristwatch. <_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back