Questions as I wander west (Cardinal and Empire Builder)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The box breakfast from SPK to PDX is (IMHO) the worst meal on Amtrak, but the box dinner from PDX to SPK is the best meal on Amtrak!
Dissenting voice here; I thought the box breakfast was pretty good.
Hear, hear!

I was disappointed mostly with the blueberry dessert--I love blueberries, but found this to be tasteless. Also, the breakfast sandwich would have been nice if it were warmed up, but the lounge attendant did not offer this and I was afraid to ask because she had nuked my burger to the consistency of rubber in Milwaukee.

IMG_6755 (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When I rode the Portland Section.. the Lounge attendant DID offer to heat up the sandwich and also offered free coffee (instead of having to walk back to the sleeper to get the coffee). Both were very nice touches.

I wonder what Amtrak pays for the boxes and to have them delivered... seems they could just give the Sleeper Passengers a "Breakfast Voucher" for the lounge and then I can order whatever I want (up to the amount on the voucher of course). Seems like it would be a better option and probably cheaper for Amtrak I would think.

what good information! I learn so much every time I open a post. thank you for all being so informative and pleasant to read.

When I rode the Portland Section.. the Lounge attendant DID offer to heat up the sandwich and also offered free coffee (instead of having to walk back to the sleeper to get the coffee). Both were very nice touches.
This was also my experience the one time I've taken the Portland section westbound. I didn't take advantage of the free coffee because I was going back to the sleeper anyway, but really appreciated having the sandwich warmed.

The box breakfast from SPK to PDX is (IMHO) the worst meal on Amtrak, but the box dinner from PDX to SPK is the best meal on Amtrak!
What's in the box dinner? I am to experience in about 10 days.
It varys. If I remember correctly, they have 3 or 4 choices. Once i had Salmon & another time Chicken Parm. Both were very good! IMO

Yes, the box dinners usually have a choice of seafood, beef, chicken or ham (I believe). However, they only load as many as rooms in the (1) sleeper are occupied. Thus, by the time the SCA gets to you, it may not be your first choice - or even 2nd choice!

The breakfast box is only 1 choice.

Let your SCA know when you board in Portland what your choice of boxed Diners will be.I really enjoyed the seafood one but the others are very good also!

As for the Boxed Breakfast out of Spokane, there is no choice. Its served in the Sighteeer Lounge as the Sun comes up along the Columbia.( nice View on the Left)

The ones I've had included a Breakfast Croissant Witch (Room Temp/ having it heated as said helps))and Orange Juice ( which I l don't care for!) Can't remember the rest, I'm old!

A great trip on EB. At Chicago, you arrive at 10 am when the downtown is very active(safe). Go to Amtk Metropolitan Lounge and elevator up to the street level where the taxi line is located just out the door on Canal Street. This shows on google earth street view. Come on, sightsee here. Palmer house5-6 blocks from CUS) a good choice and close to Cultural Center(free), Millennium Park(free) and Art Institute(not free). Take a Chicago river tour. Leaving next day, taxi back to the Metro Lounge entrance and get guided to your EB platform.

If it's good weather... A river tour is a must do. (River taxi is $9 and has the same views as the $40 "tours" but years ago when I took an architecture tour I loved it and thought it was worth the price.)

If the weather is bad, art institute is phenomenal. It's $20 and one of the finest Art collections in the world.

Thank you all for the excellent advice and suggestions :) . I'm sorry for the delayed reply, but I have not been near a computer for the past few days.

Bob D.--Overthinking is what I do best, but you are right and I should try not to :unsure: .

Among all the excellent suggestions here, I chose the HGI North Loop and just booked it, for several reasons: I've stayed in them before and know where everything is (coffee machine, etc.), it looks like it is next to a river with a riverwalk, and there is an American Writers Museum nearby. But of course the deciding factor was finding a chocolate and ice cream shop right there! :)

I got Advance Purchase, which I don't like to do, but the price difference was considerable so I took the chance that nothing will happen to stop the trip.

Thanks also to those who told me how to get to the taxi area at the station--I was worried about finding that.

I used Uber in Chicago, they picked me up at the corner across from the Taxi stand. Uber took me back. The River Taxi picks up across the bridge from the Station, so it is quick to get to and they come aver ten minutes or so. HGI are a great chain, I use them when I can. Many times at check in I can talk them into giving me a breakfast coupon.

If you're in the Portland sleeper, it will be at the very back of the train. If in one of the Portland coaches,it will be those between the SSL & the sleeper at the rear of the train. The Seattle section and the diner are on the front half. To get from the Portland sleeper to the Dining Car, you must walk thru 5 other cars each time!

The EB will board from track 28 (the thru track) and will be facing north (left)!
Is it five cars between Portland Sleeper and the Diner on the Eastbound?

If you're in the Portland sleeper, it will be at the very back of the train. If in one of the Portland coaches,it will be those between the SSL & the sleeper at the rear of the train. The Seattle section and the diner are on the front half. To get from the Portland sleeper to the Dining Car, you must walk thru 5 other cars each time!

The EB will board from track 28 (the thru track) and will be facing north (left)!
Pretty sure, yes. You walk through the 2 Portland coaches, the lounge, and the 2 Seattle coaches to get to the diner.
Separately, a MSP-CHI coach is sometimes added onto the back, so then the Portland sleeper will no longer have the railfan window for that section.

Pretty sure, yes. You walk through the 2 Portland coaches, the lounge, and the 2 Seattle coaches to get to the diner.
Separately, a MSP-CHI coach is sometimes added onto the back, so then the Portland sleeper will no longer have the railfan window for that section.
That would be unfortunate. No reward for the five-coach walk. is the MSP coach sealed off?

. is the MSP coach sealed off?
No.

I've never seen an occupied car sealed off from the rest of the train. PV excepted, of course.
Agreed. Suppose there was an emergency and something happened to the attendant...how would anyone be able to notify the operating crew?

Edit To Add: PV owners are, in general, more knowledgeable about their equipment and better equipped to communicate and respond in cases of emergency.

Not exactly sealed, but to the passengers.....

4. Privately owned rail cars on Amtrak trains must be accessible to Amtrak operating crews and supervisory personnel responsible for Amtrak operations.
5. When occupied private cars are traveling on Amtrak, the following criterion applies:
a) A person-in-charge will be identified for all private car moves. The person-in-charge of the private car must be identified on the private car movement request form when it is submitted to Amtrak s System Operations Department and their name indicated on the Passenger Name Record (PNR).
b) The person-in-charge of the private car must meet with the Conductor at the originating point of their trip and they must discuss the emergency plan for the private car. In addition, they must discuss the evacuation plan along with a method of communication in the event of an emergency

There is also a set of guidelines regarding proper/legal use of radios should those be involved

If it's good weather... A river tour is a must do. (River taxi is $9 and has the same views as the $40 "tours" but years ago when I took an architecture tour I loved it and thought it was worth the price.)
I second this. I've been to Chicago a squillion times, but when I took the river tour, it looked like an entirely different city. The change in perspective made such a huge difference. The water taxi was fun too. You could take it to Chinatown and then head back to the Loop. :)

Just finished up my trip planning, and many, many thanks to all of you who gave me such good ideas! :) I have my train tickets and hotel reservations all printed out in order and attached to calendar pages with each day filled in so I can't be in two places at once. :p

I am going to take the bait (from all of you who suggested sightseeing in Chicago) and will stay three nights on my way home. The river cruise sounds lovely. I am staying at a Courtyard in the Magnificent Mile on the way back. How easy is it to get to the Art Museum and the Field Museum from there? Also, what are Grant Park and the Navy Pier like? Are they safe? Are they worth going to?

Finally, what kind of coat should I take for Portland and Chicago? I never, ever get cold and am usually too hot, but I imagine even I will need something in October in Chicago. A light jacket? I do not want to carry a winter coat if I don't have to.

Thanks again to all of you :) .

As to weather in Chicago, it is quite variable in autumn (and spring) - could be rather warm, could be rather cold. Some sort of coat or jacket is advisable, but I'd strongly suggest checking the weather forecast shortly before you leave or pack your bags and basing your decision on that forecast.

For Portland the average highs that time of year are in the low 70's and lows are mid to upper 40's. Any precipitation (usually) tends to be light and showery at September's end. I'd take just a light windbreaker type jacket and carry it with me and only wear it in the event of rainfall.

Back