questions about starlight san-tac

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kim

I have searched a little and could not find direct answers for a few questions for a first time train trip.

Three people going up coach only:

Does amtrak sell the sleepers cheaper, if available, after the train departs from lax, or are they the same price? Would be for only two of us.

Two people coming back tac to san diego with a superliner roomette:

With the meals included can you order anything off the menu or is there a special menu?

Are there any other perks that come with the roomette?

Have enjoyed reading about train travel on your board here.

Thank you in advance

Kim

If a roomette is still available after you board in SAN, the upgrade price will most likely be lower than whatever price you are seeing right now. Probably in the neighborhood of $150 according to the timetable.

Yes, you can order anything off the menu provided they haven't sold out of it. Your free meal includes non-alcoholic drinks, you have to pay for alcohol, salad & roll with dinner, the main meal, and desert for lunch & dinner. Tip is not included.

Other perks are morning newspaper, free coffee & juice during the day in the sleeper, access to the Pacific Parlour car. The PPC is a special lounge car exculsively for sleeper passengers, no coach passengers allowed. They offer a wine tasting during the day in that car, along with other little goodies.

Just to clarify, the Coast Starlight does not run to San Diego. One must take the Pacific Surfliner from the Starlight's terminus of Los Angeles to and from San Diego.

Take this train every 6 weeks or so. Great trip, rooms are available on board from conductor, the only problem going the whole way as you are they may be sold out. The roomette if you can afford it is well worth it, you will have a totally different experience, with meals, first class lounge, wine tasting, movie theater etc etc. You can chose anything off the menu dessert included and all sodas, juice etc are free in parlor car. Something to think about meals for 2 people for 2 days may actually cover 50 percent of the extra charge your paying for the room, so its not a bad deal at all. The room rates do change, sometimes quite a bit for changing dates just a day or two..so do your homework. Have fun its a great trip.

One other thing if you live in Clairemont or north use the Solana beach station, its more convenient and the train leaves 45 mins later in the morning and gets in 45 mins sooner at night plus or minus. Plus free patroled parking....

I just got off the Starlight in Redding, Calif. a couple hours ago (from Los Angeles) and was surprised that the train ran at only about 20-25 percent of its capacity. Every single sleeper on the lower level of the three sleeper cars was available for the entire duration between LAX and RDD and about 60 percent of the rooms on the upper levels were unoccupied for the entire trip. There only appeared to be about 70-80 people total traveling in the three coaches even during the busiest segments. Lots of space is available to be had (and bought) onboard at a bargain.

:) :unsure: :(

It is off season, but I have noticed this too. The way UP has handled this train the past two years is starting to show on ridership. There is no reason this train is 3-4 hours and sometimes alot later at both end points. Taking this train as much as I do, I havent seen it packed like it consistantly used to be in a long time. Its a royal pain having to connect to a bus to get to San Diego 90 percent of the time. UP does have an agenda to get rid of Amtrak and anyone who says they dont is naive enough to beleive Mr. Mineta wants to help Amtrak. This administration will stop at nothing to get their way in regards to Amtrak.

At least BNSF has the integrity to operate on-time/respect/help Amtrak and its passengers and not bow to political pressures which I'm sure they have received too.

Right on Amtrak Flyer! While that daily LAX-SAN motorcoach is a royal pain courtesy of the YouPee's fine inability to dispatch, what is even worse is the newly-scheduled 10-12 HOUR LONG Klamath Falls, OR to Pasco, WA motorcoach that has resulted from the near-daily missed connections to the Empire Builder at Portland. The ole YouPee has indeed cost Amtrak hundreds of thousands of dollars over the last couple years since Amtrak is the one on the hook to reaccommodate the pax when YouPee screws them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back