Questions about refreshments

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabbytony

Train Attendant
In October I am taking the SWC from Los Angeles to Chicago.

I have a sleeper car (not a roomette.) I plan to take my own refreshment but will need ice. Do the supply ice for someone in a sleeper and if so, do they provide any kind of an ice bucket to transport and keep it in?

Thank you

Look at a sleeper car layout. The Car Attendant normally has room #1. Ice cooler will either be in that room or in the hallway across from the coffee machine. The ice is so convenient, there is really no need for an ice bucket. I take my own adult refreshment too, as that saves me $6.50/plus tip, a pop from the cafe lounge!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, there is ice provided to sleeping car passengers. It is in the center of the upstairs of the car. Sometimes in a cooler provided by the attendant. A few times I have also seen it in a small built in drawer near the coffee machine.

If your SCA is busy or has not got ice in their car yet I've found that a couple of bucks and a friendly attitude in the dining car will get you ice provided it's not during meal service.

I have a sleeper car (not a roomette.) I plan to take my own refreshment but will need ice. Do the supply ice for someone in a sleeper and if so, do they provide any kind of an ice bucket to transport and keep it in?

Thank you
Since you say "not a roomette", do you mean by "sleeper car" that you are in coach?

I meant to say I have a Superliner Bedroom. Not a coach.

This is my first Amtrak LD trip and am do not have all the correct lingo down yet. LOL

Thank you
Taking one's own refreshment is one of the pleasures of sleeper cars. Access to ice varies:

1) Ice can run out on a particular day or for the balance of the trip.

2)Some SCA's encourage passengers to get their own ice. Others want you to do it through them only.

I take a small cooler of ice with me as a hedge against 1 and 2. Even if it is not an adult beverage trip.

2)Some SCA's encourage passengers to get their own ice. Others want you to do it through them only.
The ones that want you to get the ice via them are the one's following correct procedure. Passengers aren't supposed to be getting the ice on their own for health reasons.

Seem to remember a flap with the FDA about ice some time ago. For a while one had to go to the lounge or diner until someone figured out an ice chest in the SCA's room would suffice. I do remember seeing hands in the ice bin at the coffee stand on more than one occassion.

Seem to remember a flap with the FDA about ice some time ago. For a while one had to go to the lounge or diner until someone figured out an ice chest in the SCA's room would suffice. I do remember seeing hands in the ice bin at the coffee stand on more than one occassion.
Jay,

It's not just hands that's the problem. Neither the built in ice drawer in the Superliner II's nor the foam freezer chests used on the Superliner I's has a holder for the ice scoop. That means that the scoop handle can fall down into the ice contaminating it. That's the reason why the ice is not supposed to be out where the public can get to it. The attendants have been instructed how to properly handle & store the scoop.

But some still don't want the extra hassle, so they put the ice out for all to grab. However, I have seen conductors tell SCA's that they must move the ice back into their room.

On our last ld ride the ice chest was in the attendant's room with just a plastic cup in it to serve as the 'group scoop.'

More often than not I have seen the ice in a chest sitting in the "dog leg" of the corridor at the top of the steps or sometimes in Roomette 1 as a self serve. Since I rarely use ice, it doesn't bother me one way or the other but I can understand the health concerns over a public trough set up.

Thank you

I like a cocktail as soon as I board so I will ask the SCA when I board about their ice policy. If there is no line I will ask at the door of the sleeper, if there is a line I'll get settled in then go down about 5 minutes prior to departure and ask, generally no line then. You can also ask the SCA when they make their room to room visits but I don't like waiting that long. In most instances I've had my ice brought to me in a cardboard bucket before the wheels start turning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back