Question regarding puzzling problem with NARP/Amtrak Discount

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjemartin

Train Attendant
Hello,

I live in Niagara Falls, ON and have relatives who live in the Wilmington, DE area. I take Amtrak at least twice a year to go visit them. I am also a NARP member and have been since late 2011. Up until early 2014, I've never had a problem receiving the NARP discount when booking travel on Amtrak's website. From then on, in order for me to get the NARP discount, I'd have to book my ticket in four segments:

1. NFS - NFL
2. NFL - WIL
3. WIL - NFL
4. NFL - NFS

I've contacted Amtrak about the issue, but the reps whom I spoke with could not give me an answer as to why I have problems receiving the NARP discount now.

Furthermore, today I was looking on NARP's website and found that in the terms and conditions (https://www.narprail.org/get-involved/become-a-member/terms-conditions/), it states this:

• The NARP discount cannot be used on Canadian portion of the New York-Toronto Maple Leaf, which is operated by VIA Rail Canada between Niagara Falls, ON and Toronto, nor on some Thruway bus routes. It CAN, however, be used to or from Montreal or Vancouver, BC.
Which to me is even more puzzling now because, A - Why could I receive the discount before without any problem, but now I can't? and B - Why is the Maple Leaf route excluded from the discount, but yet, not the Cascade routes (Vancouver I believe) and the Adirondack routes (Montreal)?

I also called up NARP and spoke with a rep, but he was just as puzzled and said he would pass along my question to find out why that is. Whether he actually does or not is a different story.

Does anyone here happen to know why you can't get the discount on Maple Leaf routes anymore? Any help anyone can give is much appreciated.

narp tc.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
In my very limited experience (one trip on the Maple Leaf to Toronto), I was not able to use a discount (AAA) for the Canadian portion of the Maple Leaf about 5 years ago. I cannot explain why you were previously able to use the NARP discount. Possibly an error was made in your favor?

Possibly an error was made in your favor?
That may be true, but what makes the Vancouver and Montreal routes different where there is no question about them getting the discount? I know it might seem petty to go though all this trouble just for a 10% discount, but if I can save some money, it would be well worth it.

I suspect part of the difference is the Maple Leaf becomes a VIA train once it crosses the border.

The Adirondack and Cascades are still technically Amtrak trains.

This^

The Niagara Falls ON to Toronto ticket is really a VIA fare ticket issued as a convenience by Amtrak. The Maple Leaf is a VIA train with a VIA number staffed by VIA between those two points. Hence no Amtrak discounts apply.

The Adirondack and the Cascades are our Amtrak service all the way.

I suspect part of the difference is the Maple Leaf becomes a VIA train once it crosses the border.

The Adirondack and Cascades are still technically Amtrak trains.
Never thought about that before. It makes sense now that you mention it.

Thank you

The Cascade and Adirondack do not have any stops (or more precisely you can not ride from stop C-a to C-b) in Canada, while the ML you can. That's why the Cascade and Adirondack are Amtrak trains and the ML is a VIA train in Cacada.

The Cascade and Adirondack do not have any stops (or more precisely you can not ride from stop C-a to C-b) in Canada, while the ML you can. That's why the Cascade and Adirondack are Amtrak trains and the ML is a VIA train in Cacada.
Thank you for the explanation. I fully understand why now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back