Question re: Advance Bedroom Reservations on the SWC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a question regarding bedroom reservations on the Southwest Chief that are made well in advance. On December 28th, six months prior to our departure date, we called and, working with an agent, requested Bedroom E’s on both our east and westbound SWC trains. (Bedroom E’s are the ones that are supposed to give the smoothest ride.) Even this far in advance, no Bedroom E’s were available and we had to settle for two Bedroom D’s. This exact same thing happened to us last year, leading us to wonder if Amtrak purposely keeps Bedroom E’s from being sold to the general public, reserving them instead for VIP clientele. Does anyone have an opinion (or better yet, insider information) on this?

Eric & Pat

When I make an reservation about 11 months in advance, I usually get bedroom E. It is the first room sold. E is my favorite also, which motivates me to make reservations way in advance if I know when I will be traveling.

I booked my trip on 22nd September 2021.

The booking for California Zephyr No 5 departing Chicago 8th June 2022 allocated me Bedroom B.

The booking on the Southwest Chief No 4 departing Los Angeles 12th June 2022 allocated me Bedroom E. (I'm definitely not VIP clientele - see original post)

Last edited:
We have a question regarding bedroom reservations on the Southwest Chief that are made well in advance. On December 28th, six months prior to our departure date, we called and, working with an agent, requested Bedroom E’s on both our east and westbound SWC trains. (Bedroom E’s are the ones that are supposed to give the smoothest ride.) Even this far in advance, no Bedroom E’s were available and we had to settle for two Bedroom D’s. This exact same thing happened to us last year, leading us to wonder if Amtrak purposely keeps Bedroom E’s from being sold to the general public, reserving them instead for VIP clientele. Does anyone have an opinion (or better yet, insider information) on this?

Eric & Pat
Not a chance.

Back